Battery Life?

mattbooty

Reaction score
What would be some possible reasons why standby usage is so much higher than before?

That I don't know. I'm not even sure if its a hardware or software issue.... I'm hoping software so an update could make it better.

esm2

Reaction score
What would be some possible reasons why standby usage is so much higher than before?

I have many theories...

Something else interesting I noticed today - in my office, I have no verizon signal at all, on either my OG droid or my D3. For both yesterday and today, I had the phones next to each other in my office, and their drawdown was nearly identical.

OG:
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
cell stby 51% (100% no signal)
display, 6%, 4 mins

D3
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
cell stby 50% (100% no signal)
display, 2%, 10 mins

I take both home, and the OG lasts the rest of the night now that it has signal, D3 craters after another 5 hours *with no use at all*.

Neither have ext battery.

Perhaps the D3's radio is in perma-search mode?

mattbooty

Reaction score
Something else interesting I noticed today - in my office, I have no verizon signal at all, on either my OG droid or my D3. For both yesterday and today, I had the phones next to each other in my office, and their drawdown was nearly identical.

OG:
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 6%, 4 mins

D3
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 2%, 10 mins

I take both home, and the OG lasts the rest of the night now that it has signal, D3 craters after another 5 hours *with no use at all*.

This is an excellent observation. So essentially the D3 radio is sucking the same battery regardless of signal strength whereas the D1 (and most phones) use much less battery when a solid signal is available?

moset

Reaction score

I don't think it's that much more actual power used, %is much higher because the big hog (display) is not a hog anymore. I would guess an update to baseband might help.
How does signal compare to other phones?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok I see "issues" with the radio. I do have a question though. The D3 seems to be sucking more due to the radio, now in a side by side is it faster downloading? I know most people I've talked to with Tbolts said their 3G was noticably faster than with the OG Droid. I am wondering if the D3 is faster on 3G than the D1 as well.

This might be why it's using more battery as well. Not an inefficient radio, just a more powerful one?? Just a guess though, I get my D3 tomorrow :D

darkmatter

Reaction score

I have many theories...

OG:
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 6%, 4 mins

D3
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 2%, 10 mins

though notice that even with more than twice the usage, the d3 display uses much less percentage. (yea, its a very small sample, but I'm saying it anyway, lol)

Edit*

for people noticing this radio issue, have you looked at data usage since you got the d3? I'm wondering if maybe something is downloading in the background (and not lighting up the 3g in the notification bar) like maybe moto and/or vzw is trying to skim some stats or something?

Last edited:

mattbooty

Reaction score
Ok I see "issues" with the radio. I do have a question though. The D3 seems to be sucking more due to the radio, now in a side by side is it faster downloading? I know most people I've talked to with Tbolts said their 3G was noticably faster than with the OG Droid. I am wondering if the D3 is faster on 3G than the D1 as well.

This might be why it's using more battery as well. Not an inefficient radio, just a more powerful one?? Just a guess though, I get my D3 tomorrow :D

web seems to be "rendering" faster, but I'm not sure if that is due to faster download speed or the faster cpu rendering the downloaded data quicker.

Opiemitsu

Reaction score

I have many theories...

OG:
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 6%, 4 mins

D3
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 2%, 10 mins

though notice that even with more than twice the usage, the d3 display uses much less percentage. (yea, its a very small sample, but I'm saying it anyway, lol)

Edit*

for people noticing this radio issue, have you looked at data usage since you got the d3? I'm wondering if maybe something is downloading in the background (and not lighting up the 3g in the notification bar) like maybe moto and/or vzw is trying to skim some stats or something?

I'd thought of that yesterday too but couldn't find any way or app that would show me that kind of info and my overall data usage seems normal from what I can tell. I've tried TrafficInfo which is just showing me question marks for data usage (maybe because I was on WiFi?). I've not seen anything obvious but there are some apps in the list I'm not familiar with.

If this was the case though, wouldn't that app show as the battery hog vs cell standby? The way I understood it, cell standby has one function only which is to search for cellular signal. (Can that be interpreted as searching for the best tower to connect to?)

Also, is anyone else noticing that there ARE no apps other than Android processes in the battery stats? Is this a Moto thing of hiding them or are all my app usages so low when compared with these system items that they've not even made the list?

Opiemitsu

Reaction score

web seems to be "rendering" faster, but I'm not sure if that is due to faster download speed or the faster cpu rendering the downloaded data quicker.

My vote is faster CPU for rendering and managing the download of data.

mattbooty

Reaction score
I have many theories...

OG:
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 6%, 4 mins

D3
wifi on, bt on
60% batt, 4h on battery
display, 2%, 10 mins

Edit*

I'd thought of that yesterday too but couldn't find any way or app that would show me that kind of info and my overall data usage seems normal from what I can tell. I've tried TrafficInfo which is just showing me question marks for data usage (maybe because I was on WiFi?). I've not seen anything obvious but there are some apps in the list I'm not familiar with.

If this was the case though, wouldn't that app show as the battery hog vs cell standby? The way I understood it, cell standby has one function only which is to search for cellular signal. (Can that be interpreted as searching for the best tower to connect to?)

Also, is anyone else noticing that there ARE no apps other than Android processes in the battery stats? Is this a Moto thing of hiding them or are all my app usages so low when compared with these system items that they've not even made the list?

I have other apps (one for sure as i can see it in there right now, but I thought I saw at least one more previously) showing up in there... I think for the most part most apps (except high cpu / high bandwidth apps) use up such a small % that they don't make the list. And actually the ones that did make the list for me are ones that make periodic checks across the 3G searching for updated data.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Anyone have a better way of removing the battery door cover? Mine is not easy to open...

Maverick0984

Reaction score