Battery Life?

mattbooty

Reaction score
Ok, another battery meter question. If I go into the battery stats and press on the graph I get a bigger graph with lines below representing when certain processes were in use. The "phone signal" is a solid line of varying colors from browns to greens... does anyone know what the different colors mean?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Ok, another battery meter question. If I go into the battery stats and press on the graph I get a bigger graph with lines below representing when certain processes were in use. The "phone signal" is a solid line of varying colors from browns to greens... does anyone know what the different colors mean?

Green = Good service
Yellow = ok service
Red/brown = poor service

or thats what I believe atleast. lol

kanundrum

Reaction score

mattbooty

Reaction score

Green = Good service
Yellow = ok service
Red/brown = poor service

or thats what I believe atleast. lol

Hmm, mine is almost entirely a light brown color (almst a grey, but not as grey as the graph above) with a few spots of a darker brown, and 3 very tiny green lines... even though I've been in my office with 3 bars and 3G all day long.... does this mean it thinks my service is bad even though its reporting good signal?

Last edited:

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Hehe, I always feel like I'm going to break it.

^ Yeah, this. Or I'm going to break my fingernail off. I'm afraid to use some sort of tool because I don't want to damage the case.

Unless your a chick you wont break your finger nail, and you wont damage the cover. You can yank away.

I'm not worried about braking it, I'm worried about it ripping off. Maybe it just has to become loosened after a little while.

jimikeys

Reaction score
I've improved my battery life with Startup auditor, i stopped the needless programs that took up space and I have the phone set on maximum battery saver now. it improved but now i have the extended battery as well so things should really go well...

mattbooty

Reaction score
I've improved my battery life with Startup auditor, i stopped the needless programs that took up space and I have the phone set on maximum battery saver now. it improved but now i have the extended battery as well so things should really go well...

Unfortunately the maximum battery saver stop syncing data after 15 minutes of inactivity... which means no email updates, etc, which won't work for a lot of people.

esm2

Reaction score
This issue has also been raised in moto's own support forums:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/53845

The moderator seemed to think that it indeed sounded like a software hiccup. I hope he's passed this on to the nerds who can actually fix it. (<rant>*siiiiigh*.... i hate closed source radio drivers - if they would just post the f-ing source for their whole stack, radio included, the community could have fixed this and any other issues lickety-split. but noooooooo, corporate secrets and FCC compliance prohibit that.....</rant>)

militant

Reaction score
I went 11 hours today and went from 100% to 70% charge, use was minimal (less than 1 hr screen time on) and I had background data DISABLED, seemed to make a huge difference, whereas yesterday I went from 100% to 15% in 10 hours. Downside is you don't get e-mails and notifications other than texts.

dancingcrab

Reaction score
I went 11 hours today and went from 100% to 70% charge, use was minimal (less than 1 hr screen time on) and I had background data DISABLED, seemed to make a huge difference, whereas yesterday I went from 100% to 15% in 10 hours. Downside is you don't get e-mails and notifications other than texts.

Wow, I wouldn't be able to live without my data connection always on!

Today (my fourth day with the D3) has been my best day yet. The phone's been running off battery for almost 15 hours, and is reporting 20%. That's with me playing the NOVA demo (until it wouldn't let me play any more ;-), using Google Maps a little, IMing, emailing and a couple of short calls.

Maps 41%
Cell standby 17%
Wi-Fi 16%
Phone idle 14%
Android System 7%
Display 3% (amazing)
Android OS 2%

Pretty weird stats, especially considering my limited Maps usage. Yesterday this was probably true (used Maps a lot), but today it was brief...

Creez

Reaction score

Wow, I wouldn't be able to live without my data connection always on!

Today (my fourth day with the D3) has been my best day yet. The phone's been running off battery for almost 15 hours, and is reporting 20%. That's with me playing the NOVA demo (until it wouldn't let me play any more ;-), using Google Maps a little, IMing, emailing and a couple of short calls.

Maps 41%
Cell standby 17%
Wi-Fi 16%
Phone idle 14%
Android System 7%
Display 3% (amazing)
Android OS 2%

Pretty weird stats, especially considering my limited Maps usage. Yesterday this was probably true (used Maps a lot), but today it was brief...

Dancingcrab, did you make any of the adjustments that were mentioned previously in this thread to get those stats? Like the *228 Option 2, turning off global mode, etc? The reason I'm asking is because my cell standby percentage is always over 40%, even if I use the phone for a good amount of time and it's not really just sitting there idle. Like other users have reported, cell standby is at the top of my list of battery usage. Just wondering if you did anything to your phone within those 4 days you've owned it.

mfendley

Reaction score
Creez, Dancingcrab stats for the Cell Standby is relatively low, because of the Maps being at 41%. If you take that off the list, Cell standby goes to the top and becomes 28.8%.

Creez

Reaction score
Creez, Dancingcrab stats for the Cell Standby is relatively low, because of the Maps being at 41%. If you take that off the list, Cell standby goes to the top and becomes 28.8%.

Ahh, that makes sense. Maybe I need to do another test then, because it seems like no matter what app I use, cell standby is always at the top. I've been reading around trying to figure out if a "high" (constantly over 40%) cell standby percentage is normal or not. As in, does that mean the radio is constantly looking for a signal, or is that just an indication of that "always on" data connection? The fact that my "time without signal" is always at 1 or 2 percent makes me think it's the latter. But then I come across people who have much lower cell standby percentages even with the phone just sitting there, not using any applications. Hmm..

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
13hrs 10min
Cell standby 43%
Phone idle 34%
Display 12%
Android OS 7%
Android system 5%
10% battery left with almost 3hrs display time.

end of line...

esm2

Reaction score
i'm guessing this is with an extended batt?
(if not, you must be some sort of human wireless phone recharger pad.... and i must know your secret.)

13hrs 10min
Cell standby 43%
Phone idle 34%
Display 12%
Android OS 7%
Android system 5%
10% battery left with almost 3hrs display time.

end of line...