Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 3' started by n8sco, Jul 9, 2011.

1. zoomy942

zoomy942 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have an OG Droid and I always find it perplexing that people swear by wifi.

I had mine to never sleep, and to go off when the screen shut off, but as a light data user (little bit of google talk, and gmail, and facebook) i get much better life when wifi is simply off.

Just throwing that out there dor fellow droid users (even if it's the D3).

2. Immolate

Immolate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that turning Wifi off on my Tbolt and leaving it on 3G resulted in almost a doubling of my idle time. More than once I went 24 hours with 20 or 30% remaining. Light usage days but there you go.

3. Snow02

Snow02 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    That makes sense. 3G uses less power when idling than wifi. Wifi uses less when actively transferring data. Check for a wifi sleep policy setting and have it turn wifi off with the screen and you get the best of both.

But of course, ymmv.

4. Droid360

Droid360 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had my phone unplugged for a little over 3 hours, im at 70% with moderate/heavy usage. My OG Droid would last about 10-12 hours with light usage.

5. jimikeys

jimikeys Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i remembered on my OG I had something called startup auditor which allowed me to disable programs from boot-up starting and self starting. So I went into it after downloading it from the market and disabled programs I don't need to start...I noticed vzw navigator self started along with a few other vzw apps. I disabled them from boot-up starting and starting by themselves. Hopefully this helps, it helped on my OG...

Now I'm just trying to run this battery down.. it's been on 30 then 20 percent since 7pm est... it just won't die lol...

my extended battery comes wednesday...

6. Stevelord

Stevelord Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some posts in this thread confuse me. Isn't battery "conditioning" li-ion batteries a myth? And that fully discharging li-ion batteries is highly discouraged?

#54 Stevelord, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  7. tonydelite

tonydelite Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct on both counts, but the battery meter in the phone still has to learn the discharge curve of the battery, otherwise it cannot accurately "guess" the state of the battery. The only way it's going to know is by showing it a full discharge.

8. jimikeys

jimikeys Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i just wanted to drain the battery so I can charge it completely and see if the auditor app works.

9. jimikeys

jimikeys Member

Ratings:
    +1
    well draining the battery and rebooting it after using startup auditor seems to have sped the phone up a bit, the boot seemed quicker and the widgets and stuff i had loaded faster as well...so now i'm just charging the phone, hopefully i see a boost in battery life now that i've disabled needless programs.

10. Droid360

Droid360 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    5 hours and 30 minutes, im at 40%, with moderate/heavy usage. I might look at buying the extended battery, ill give it a week or 2 to see how I get through the day

11. colbyb25

colbyb25 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the extended battery and after another day of light use I had amazing battery life. Took off the phone from the charger at 6am and by 1130 pm I was at 40% life. Listened to some music, few emails, few txtxs and some gaming + light web browsing. Loving this phone

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

12. n8sco

n8sco Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Almost 34 hours now without a charge and I'm at 50%. Very light usage but miles better than the first 2 days for sure.

Search tags for this page
2m and 9s on battery

droid 3 battery life

droid 3 by motorola battery life
droid battery 3sh00134 53m
droid razr drops batter life in incriments of 10
phone idle is at 34%
putting apps on the front page causes more batteery life
s4 display sucking battery
what does 5m 33s on battery mean on android phone