battery life on LM

A.Brooks

Reaction score
^ You're right - those were settings I had written down from another ver of SetCPU.

Here's the current (taken directly from SetCPU in my phone)
Sampling Rate: 350000
Up Threshold: 86
Ignore Nice: 0
Powersave Bias: 200

(I forgot that I changed those settings when SetCPU 202 came out - which was about the same time I loaded up Li.)

Also, on the subject of sleep time, YES...a good 7-8 hours of the time I include in my uptime is indeed while I'm sleeping.
But, that's not all - I figured out a while back that I don't need to fidget with my phone constantly.

I used to constantly be on the thing, always having to try new home screens, live wallpapers (which drain battery massively compared to everything else!), always changing up how things look - then I realized one day when I didn't have much chance to mess with it that I had an incredible battery that day... I put 2 and 2 together and discovered that if I actually use my phone for what I need it for, and leave it in my pocket and not dick around with it all the time, that my battery life was MUCH better!!

So, I'm way past having to fiddlefeck with it all the time - realizing where my battery was going was half the battle - the urge to pull the phone out and just look at my home screens was hard, but after a few days, it gets easier...this really IS like an addiction!!

Psychlone

Using your recommendations got me the worst battery life of all time. This is really poor. Hate it.

Psychlone

Reaction score
Using your recommendations got me the worst battery life of all time. This is really poor. Hate it.

Lol - no one told anyone to use anybody's actual settings, in fact, I've yet to see 2 phones react the same to the same settings. (also, is it your sig that's showing off the 1697 Quadrant score, or did you post that on purpose? - reason I ask is because if you're not even using the same kernel as I am (JDLFG 800MHz), then you're definitely comparing orages to rhubarb. I can score just under 1700 in Quadrant as well...with a 1.2GHz overclock, but that's not the point, we're talking about battery life here, and ANY extreme overclock is going to drain your battery significantly)

The tutorial and guide creators really need to have disclaimers in their posts about no 2 phones working identical, as well as a disclaimer about how overclocking creates the exact opposite of extended battery life.

All I can say is that I ended up plugging in my phone yesterday after 38 hours 32 minutes and still had 30% battery. Now, I didn't use my phone as much as I regularly do during that period, as we were on a little vacation, but that still had a useage of:
1h 43m phone
66 text (inc. a few flix and pix)
56m Skyfire browsing
58m Pandora (which I noticed drains battery more than my usual hour of network widget use when I'm working)
(...and no fiddlefecking around with it when it's not actually being used)

I'm getting GREAT battery life mostly by:
DISABLING all sync/wifi/location/bt/etc. until absolutely necessary
NOT overclocking
NOT dicking around with my phone incessantly
Having my SetCPU Profiles set with battery preservation in mind
(I seriously doubt my SetCPU Advanced settings have much to do with my battery life - it's more of how I use it than anything else)

Psychlone

Last edited:

DavetheSnake

Reaction score
Questions...

Lol - no one told anyone to use anybody's actual settings, in fact, I've yet to see 2 phones react the same to the same settings. (also, is it your sig that's showing off the 1697 Quadrant score, or did you post that on purpose? - reason I ask is because if you're not even using the same kernel as I am (JDLFG 800MHz), then you're definitely comparing orages to rhubarb. I can score just under 1700 in Quadrant as well...with a 1.2GHz overclock, but that's not the point, we're talking about battery life here, and ANY extreme overclock is going to drain your battery significantly)

The tutorial and guide creators really need to have disclaimers in their posts about no 2 phones working identical, as well as a disclaimer about how overclocking creates the exact opposite of extended battery life.

All I can say is that I ended up plugging in my phone yesterday after 38 hours 32 minutes and still had 30% battery. Now, I didn't use my phone as much as I regularly do during that period, as we were on a little vacation, but that still had a useage of:
1h 43m phone
66 text (inc. a few flix and pix)
56m Skyfire browsing
58m Pandora (which I noticed drains battery more than my usual hour of network widget use when I'm working)
(...and no fiddlefecking around with it when it's not actually being used)

I'm getting GREAT battery life mostly by:
DISABLING all sync/wifi/location/bt/etc. until absolutely necessary
NOT overclocking
NOT dicking around with my phone incessantly
Having my SetCPU Profiles set with battery preservation in mind
(I seriously doubt my SetCPU Advanced settings have much to do with my battery life - it's more of how I use it than anything else)

Psychlone

Hey Psychlone,

A few questions:

1) In SetCPU, do you use profiles for when your phone is in down/idle time? Also, what is your basic setup for your kernel? I understand that you use Advance Settings for powersave bias, but it is your setup at ondemand, powersave, performance?

2) Do you use Juicedefender?

Going to try some of your settings later on when I get some free time. Congrats on the super extended battery life. I usually average about a full 24 hours on the 950 kernel (set at 850).

Best,
DavetheSnake

Azurikai

Reaction score
From what I've read and what I've experimented, overclocking past 800 (aka up to 1000) doesn't really seem any faster than 800, so I keep that as my max, and I also use the 250/250 while screens off, and also 500 max when i'm under 50% battery life.

audioscience

Reaction score
Ah so Psychlone, you're not even overclocked? I don't think you mentioned that before.

That makes a HUGE difference of course.

Regarding the advanced settings, having a lower Up Threshold and a higher Powersave Bias will save you battery (how much is the question).

Up Thresh will limit how fast your clock speed will ramp up on demand so a lower number will keep your clock lower longer. A higher powersave bias will also try to keep your processor from using more power and lean more towards power savings according to Overclocking 101.

I've not overly tested these in the wild. :D

Nick177th

Reaction score
I must be the exception to the rule. I am getting much better battery life since I flashed Lithium Mod. Device is much cooler, snappier, and everything works just fine. When I was running stock 2.2 (before and after I rooted) my phone could start a forest fire. I've only tried two custom roms so far. Lithium Mod and Liquid Frozen Yogurt. Battery life is great on both. It's a little better on Lithuim Mod though. I'm not a power user. I unplug about 5:30 a.m. and by 5:30 p.m. I still have 50 or 60%. Never left it unplugged all night though. I use my phone for my alarm in the morning. can't chance it not going off because the batter died or something.

When I was running stock 2.2, I'd be lucky to make it home with 30%. Maybe you guys use your device alot more than me.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Running LM and battery life was mediocre until I deleted antivirus and advanced task killer and that made a good difference, I literally got another 2 he's of heavy use time

sherpajosh

Reaction score
I have run multiple custom roms, most recently were Kangerade and bb. And I have to say that lithium has easily more than tripled my battery life. I used to only get maybe 8-10 hours, but now I can go 36+ hours with 15-20% left. I use the phone moderately, a few phone calls, some games, web browsing, and listening to mp3s. I just put Chevy's LV 1100 mhz kernel today to see how it will fare.

Azurikai

Reaction score
I live out in the country with little or no signal, so my phone is always struggling to get service, which definitely eats up my battery. BUT because I have LithiumMod installed I still last a good 8 hours before it completely dies with my phone sitting there on overdrive trying to get me service. I guarantee that if I was in average or more optimal conditions, my phone would last at least a day or two before dying.

You just have to configure your applications and settings correctly so your batter doesn't drain.

vinnard

Reaction score
Running Lithium Mod 1.0.12, JDLFG 300-800mhz kernel, C_01.43.01P Baseband
unplugged for 14hours sitting at 15%
1hr 5min. of GPS
2hr 11min of Screen on

I'm pretty freaking happy especially since the GPS made up 35% of the battery usage compared to the screen's 33%

Psychlone

Reaction score
@audioscience: Your right- I don't believe that I said if I was overclocked or not.
I *AM* an avid overclocker, having written several overclocking guides for computers, and have played with overclocking my phone extensively (very extensively - my phone is one of the lucky 'golden' Droids that will run with ANY kernel I throw on it)
But, that being said, I realized the disadvantages of overclocking a device that already has limited battery life.
Back when I first got the phone, I realized it was going to be one of those things that I simply HAD to plug in every night. I tweaked every possible thing I could get into, tried out every ROM and kernel available, but never found great battery life until I stopped overclocking and messing around with the damn thing.

Now, with Li and JDLFG's 800MHz kernel (locked at 300/600 at most), I'm experiencing the best battery life I've ever had!

This first screenshot shows my battery life with the JDLFG 800MHz Kernel.
Clearly showing 25 hours and 4 minutes with 70% of my battery left.

(that's almost 2 hours of calls, and only about 10 minutes of Skyfire - no Pandora or any of my networking utilities this time)

Here are a couple shots of my SetCPU:

...and one more. My quadrant score using JDLFG's 1200MHz kernel

So on that note, I'm going to give the 1200MHz kernel a go for a few days and compare notes. I'm leaving ALL my settings the same (300 min / 600 max), trying to see for sure just how much more battery juice is used just for running a higher MHz kernel, even if it's full speed isn't used.

I'll post back my results in a couple days...

In any case, like Azurikai mentioned, there's really no difference between 600 and 800, or 800 to 1000...so what's the point of running a phone (or a computer for that matter) right at the bleeding-edge of stability?? Especially considering that in my experience, battery life is the only thing that really suffers.

Psychlone

Last edited:

jville95

Reaction score
Psychlone, awesome stats btw.
Question: On the JDLFG kernel, which one exactly are u using on the 300/600? Because im on the site where you can download them but there are plenty versions
.29 standard, v.29.2.0 LV, v.32.1.3, v32.24, etc... Just curious.

Im on BBv0.4 running Slayher's 1.0GHz kernel on "interactive" governor and today, I got 8hrs and 51mins outta my phone(texts, pic messaging, web). Scaling is no higher than 600 on my profiles.

alanek

Reaction score
Does the JDLFG kernel support wireless wifi? I'm having success with the P3 kernel and Barnacle but my battery life stinks.