Battery Lasts all Day, Dies When I'm Asleep & After Full Charge

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
Hi all-

I am new to the forums and new to using Droid based devices as well.

I have issues with the battery life on my phone. I know the battery life on the Thunderbolt isn't anything to rave about but its really confusing me because it simply makes no sense. My battery lasts during the day, but when when I take it off the charger (fully charged) and wake up 5 hours later at 8am and it is either dead or at 5%.

I will list the way and settings I have on the phone during the day and then list the settings I have at night when I am asleep.

During the day my phone seems to last fine on one charge (10am - 8 or 10pm)
-I have all accounts, syncing, push, etc. set to manual or to only sync when I open the program.
-I very rarely use it for calls and when I do most conversations are brief, not lasting more than 5 minutes.
-GPS is off
-WiFi is off
-Network is off
_Location Services are off.
-I will occasionally use WiFi, network, and location services but use them very minimally.
-I back out of all apps by hitting the little return arrow.
-Battery save mode enabled at 30%

Now at night (3-8am)
-The only time I am usually using WiFi or any apps is from around 6-10pm
- I usually put my phone on charge around 10-11pm and it is full when I am getting into bed around 3am.
-I once again turn everything off as I listed above (GPS,WiFi, Network, Location Services).
-The only thing on is my alarm clock.
-Screen Brightness turned down.
-Battery save mode enabled at 30%

I went to Verizon intending on picking up an extended batter but they didn't have one. I explained to the technician the issue I was having and he wanted me to leave the phone there ALL DAY in an attempt to "duplicate the issue". I obviously said no because I need my phone during the day but even more so because I don't trust them...

I would greatly appreciate any help because I absolutely LOVE this phone but the battery life is frustrating, especially when compared to my previous phone (BB 8330) which would last nearly all week on one charge.

I realized I posted this earlier in the wrong section... sorry for the re-post

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are using the stock or a 3rd party alarm clock, but it sounds like you need to duplicate your night setting during the day by turning on the alarm clock and seeing if you could duplicate your nightly results.

OP
King30Henrik35

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
I am using the default alarm clock. It is always on because I have it set to go off every morning, every day of the week so I don't think that would be the issue.

OP
King30Henrik35

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
I just checked and its been 8 hours since I unplugged it this morning and I have I believe 30% (3 yellow blocks are full on the default battery level meter). I should also mention that I had it plugged in for only an hour at most and the power was at 5% when I did so. I simply don't understand how I can be texting all day and it lasts longer than when I am asleep and it has just been fully charged.

OP
King30Henrik35

King30Henrik35

Reaction score
Ok I will do so first thing tomorrow. Is there anyway to take a screenshot or would I need an app?

There are only 7 things listed:

Display-42
Android System- 22
Voice Calls- 11
Cell Standby- 10
Phone Idle- 8
WiFi- 4
com.htc.launcher- 3

champaned_out

Reaction score
what you need to be looking at is your signal in your bedroom

are you in a 3 or 4g area? if your in a 4g area how strong or weak is the signal? if your in a 4g area and your signal is weak does it seem to be switching back and forth between either the 1x or 3g network?
this is the first thing you should cross off the list because its one of the main things that drain the battery faster than anything else...
have you ever tried letting your phone search for a signal while your 30,000ft in an airplane? they run out of juice within hours

this is sort of similar in the sense that if your 4g signal is weak enough to consistently drop and switch back to the 1x or 3g network it will run your battery dry within hours

another thing you can do to narrow your problem would be to turn wifi on while you sleep tonight, see if that will effect the battery drainage... when your connected to wifi your phone will stop searching the network.

lastly you can keep wifi off and also turn 4g off and go into CDMA auto (PRL) mode so that your only on 3g network... that will stop your phone from switching networks if this is indeed your problem

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
My battery lasts during the day, but when when I take it off the charger (fully charged) and wake up 5 hours later at 8am and it is either dead or at 5%.

Why take it off charge at night?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Because it wastes a lot of electricity & that is bad for the environment.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
^Because it wastes a lot of electricity & that is bad for the environment.
The amount of electricity it uses whether it's on the charger or off of it is, for all intents and purposes, the same, as long as the battery is charged. The difference is entirely negligible.
However, when you're charging the battery, it does use more electricity. So one could argue that it's actually better for the environment to leave the phone on the charger at night. It's also more convenient, seeing as OP's phone seems to like dropping tons of charge every night :D

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
How is charging a phone all night bad for the environment? If the phone was off the charger it still consumes energy that needs to be replaced. When the phone is done charging it runs off of the electricity in the wall vs the battery (which needs to be replaced via electricity anyway). Isn't that a constant drain on the "environment" regardless of whether or not the phone is plugged into the wall or not?

And, draining a Lithium Ion battery reduces the cycles that it can charge/discharge -- so if you keep the battery at 100% by leaving it on the charger all night, you don't wear down the battery using up charge cycles thus needing to buy a new battery for your phone sooner --- and that's good for the environment. Landfills are full of mercury filled cellphone/laptop batteries.

Good for the environment? Turning off lights when not needed, calling your local power company and paying for renewable energy, planting 100 trees, using low watt CFL bulbs vs 100 watt incandescents, not driving to starbucks every day, turning off your TV instead of leaving it on all day, carpooling to work with co-workers, and eating less have much more of an impact imo.

Cloud36426

Reaction score
Check you batter use and look at cell standby and look at time without signal. This happened to me as well. My phone was in a dead spot where left it and it was killing my battery constantly searching for signal. I moved it to a different spot and had no more problems.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is charging a phone all night bad for the environment? If the phone was off the charger it still consumes energy that needs to be replaced. When the phone is done charging it runs off of the electricity in the wall vs the battery (which needs to be replaced via electricity anyway). Isn't that a constant drain on the "environment" regardless of whether or not the phone is plugged into the wall or not?

And, draining a Lithium Ion battery reduces the cycles that it can charge/discharge -- so if you keep the battery at 100% by leaving it on the charger all night, you don't wear down the battery using up charge cycles thus needing to buy a new battery for your phone sooner --- and that's good for the environment. Landfills are full of mercury filled cellphone/laptop batteries.

Good for the environment? Turning off lights when not needed, calling your local power company and paying for renewable energy, planting 100 trees, using low watt CFL bulbs vs 100 watt incandescents, not driving to starbucks every day, turning off your TV instead of leaving it on all day, carpooling to work with co-workers, and eating less have much more of an impact imo.

... this forum will argue anything. Leaving it plugged: in uses more power, which uses electricity, which is cheap thanks to coal, which is bad for the environment. It's not much in a month but 20 years of doing that is a lot of waste. I have an energy monitor in my house with timed sockets; this saved me more power then the other 9k we dropped on the house last year to make it *green*.