Battery Issue

evolushun

Reaction score
So, I recently went to BB and overclocked my Droid. After getting all my profiles set correctly for SetCPU, I noticed I had a very short life on my battery. I decided to test it out today so I kept my Droid on the charger til 2:00PM to make sure the charge was solid. Once I took it off, I started using it as I usually do. I listened to a few songs, checked some email and surfed the net occasionally. I made sure I locked the screen out when it was in my pocket and by 5:30PM, I had 21% of my battery left. I think this is a little unreasonable and decided to go to Verizon with it. This is where my nerves started taking over. LOL I went to the guy I bought the phone from and he started looking at my Droid. He looked down at it, looked at me, looked at the phone again then back at me. He kind of smiled and said "let's just get you a new battery". He totally knew I had it hacked but I guess he didn't care too much! LOL Anyways, my question to you all is should I just let this battery die completely before putting it on a charge now? What is the recommendation for my plan of attack on ensuring proper battery break-in?

Shadowtech

Reaction score
It was probably due to a rogue app/rom error and not the battery if you didn't have this issue until you rooted.

OP
evolushun

evolushun

Reaction score
I always had a low battery but I was always told the Droid had battery issues...I figured SetCPU would fix it. It didn't...my battery was swollen.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Most likely it's a configuration issue and not the battery... but ya whatever works for ya.

SetCpu will not give you a better battery life... if your going to use it to underclock your phone, you might as well just go back to stock.

OP
evolushun

evolushun

Reaction score
OK...first of all, I have never heard of a configuration making a battery swell...that's a defective battery. Second, if you read, you will see that I set up profiles...one of those profiles underclocks my phone when it sleeps...everyone here has the same principles of overclocking and mine are no different.

Why are people so quick to assume it was user error and not that my battery was bad? Geesh!

Shadowtech

Reaction score
Why are people so quick to assume it was user error and not that my battery was bad? Geesh!

Because nowhere in your original post did you say that the battery was expanded, nor did you mention that you had issues before adding your custom rom. That would lead many people to thinking that you did not have any issues prior to installing that rom. And yes, it generally is user error when something like this comes up out of nowhere, and if it isn't user error it is software error.

Show me where in here you mentioned either of those things before you get all defensive:
evolushun said:
So, I recently went to BB and overclocked my Droid. After getting all my profiles set correctly for SetCPU, I noticed I had a very short life on my battery. I decided to test it out today so I kept my Droid on the charger til 2:00PM to make sure the charge was solid. Once I took it off, I started using it as I usually do. I listened to a few songs, checked some email and surfed the net occasionally. I made sure I locked the screen out when it was in my pocket and by 5:30PM, I had 21% of my battery left. I think this is a little unreasonable and decided to go to Verizon with it. This is where my nerves started taking over. LOL I went to the guy I bought the phone from and he started looking at my Droid. He looked down at it, looked at me, looked at the phone again then back at me. He kind of smiled and said "let's just get you a new battery". He totally knew I had it hacked but I guess he didn't care too much! LOL Anyways, my question to you all is should I just let this battery die completely before putting it on a charge now? What is the recommendation for my plan of attack on ensuring proper battery break-in?

Anyway, as for your question about breakin.. there really is none. The battery that comes in the Droid doesn't need conditioning, and at most maybe drain it fully once every few weeks to keep the phone calibrated.

JCo352

Reaction score
After getting all my profiles set correctly for SetCPU, I noticed I had a very short life on my battery.
Not trying to be mean but you did say After so evryone would assume that the battery went bad after the fact...but anyways the battery is "plug n play" and from what i have read about batteries its better that you don't run them out, the lifespan of the battery will be longer if you charge at say 30% everynight instead of letting it die completely.

M

Matth3w

Lithium Ion batteries supposedly don't have a memory so there is not a need to charge them and drain them like other batteries. However, they do have a memory for what they report the battery info/percentage to be so every so often I've seen sites like BatteryUniversity.com recommend to do this so that they report the proper charge.

As for your battery drain...what do you have running in the background? What widgets do you have? Are you running a home replacement app?

OP
evolushun

evolushun

Reaction score
OK OK...I was quick on the gun...my bad everyone!

So, today when I woke up after charging all night, I watched a video and BatteryLeft said I had 3 hours until I was dead...we are talking about a 3 minute video! LOL I thought that was odd so I did a recalibrate. Then it said I had 6 hours. I figured I would let it ride and went to work. I got out of work and my battery widget read 66% and 14 hours til dead...Now that's what I was waiting for. As for what widgets I was running, I had MixZing Lite for a music player but I shut that off to save battery...I also have Beautiful Widgets and I will never shut that off. I also had a volume bar and I killed that too...it seems that all the widgets running take a toll on battery life. Oh, and I had a news widget too but thats gone now. So, I'm running pretty bare now and will continue to add one widget at a time and see what my battery does and find the killer! LOL