battery dead, white light my friend

jaybogg

Reaction score
I was on the road, woke up yesterday morning with a dead phone, forgot to put it on charger. I immediately put it on charger and got a white light for about an hour and then phone booted. Had to get on road, so disconnected it and reconnected to car charger. White light would come on for a minute or two, then go out and no charge. I was on the road for about 7 hours, phone never charged. When I got home, I tried it on every charger I had in the house with the same results. I got on the forum and researched about the charging cable where you jumper pins, read the article posted about batteries from battery U (I think that was the name), and saw some threads about car chargers providing the extra oomph needed. I knew the one in my car didn't help but remembered the one in my truck. I plugged my razr in and got the white light and it stayed on. I said a prayer, left it and checked back every 30 min or so. After about1 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the white light went out and shortly thereafter the phone booted(on its own). I didn't touch it this time, and in about another hour it was fully charged. It may not be that way for everyone, but in my case the white light, was a good thing, letting me know the phone was trying to charge. Just thought I would pass this on for others unfortunate enough to accidently let their battery run down. I am pretty anal about charging but getting ready to leave, packing and all, I forgot to hook it up and it let me know!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
A thought... I assume your familiar with smart actions???? Perhaps you use battery saver??? Well it also has a charging reminder in the samples. You can set it to notify you to remind you to charge the phone when the phones status falls within your set parameters. You might look into it....

On another note, glad that you had a positive experience after your battery was depleted, as i'm sure you're aware, there are people who aren't as fortunate.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I was on the road, woke up yesterday morning with a dead phone, forgot to put it on charger. I immediately put it on charger and got a white light for about an hour and then phone booted. Had to get on road, so disconnected it and reconnected to car charger. White light would come on for a minute or two, then go out and no charge. I was on the road for about 7 hours, phone never charged. When I got home, I tried it on every charger I had in the house with the same results. I got on the forum and researched about the charging cable where you jumper pins, read the article posted about batteries from battery U (I think that was the name), and saw some threads about car chargers providing the extra oomph needed. I knew the one in my car didn't help but remembered the one in my truck. I plugged my razr in and got the white light and it stayed on. I said a prayer, left it and checked back every 30 min or so. After about1 1 1/2 - 2 hours, the white light went out and shortly thereafter the phone booted(on its own). I didn't touch it this time, and in about another hour it was fully charged. It may not be that way for everyone, but in my case the white light, was a good thing, letting me know the phone was trying to charge. Just thought I would pass this on for others unfortunate enough to accidently let their battery run down. I am pretty anal about charging but getting ready to leave, packing and all, I forgot to hook it up and it let me know!!

I am also pleased that you were able to recover - especially after all the apparent lack of success you were having. Using the car charger (the truck one), was the saving grace, and yes, the white light is actually a good sign.

Now I would recommend for extra protection that you "train" the charger system by doing the following at your next opportunity:

First POWER THE PHONE OFF! You can do this by pressing and holding the power button, and then selecting "Power off" from the menu.
Next, plug the WALL ADAPTER that came with your phone into the phone and allow the phone to boot into charge-only mode. Leave the phone alone for the next 2-3 hours (best to leave it for 3 or more, but depending on where you are in the battery level when you start it may reach a 100% charge before then).
Then power the phone on and use it as you normally would but taking care to observe as it drains and once it reaches 15% and the low battery warning appears, POWER THE PHONE OFF AGAIN, and follow the charge-only procedure above.

Once you've done the above, your phone's charging system will have a more accurate reading of the battery's actual capacity, and will represent the actual battery levels more accurately during use and discharge. Also, if you should happen to forget to charge again, it will power the phone off when it reaches the critical battery level at 0%, and in fact will be at a level that can sustain itself for a day or two so then when you do try to charge again it won't get stuck as it did originally due to an inaccurate metering system.

Finally, it's good advice to repeat this three-step process once every 40 or so charges, or at least every 2 months or so for a RAZR and at least every 3 months or so for a MAXX.

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Thx for the advice guys. Guess I have to get smarter about smart actions. I have them set up w/ home location for the trigger, where I spend 99% of my eves. I was out of town for an unexpected illness of a friend. Ironically, I performed the calibration about a week ago after posting here about a charger problem (unrelated to this mistake). I am convinced my mistake this time was interrupting the charge cycle very early in its cycle when I had to leave. The phone was recovering fine until I unplugged it way too early so I could leave to come home. Of course, I normally would have never done that, but I HAD to leave and did not have the luxury of leaving it on my wall adapter for the full charge. In hindsight, if I had not freaked and immediately placed it on the wall unit but waited until I got into the car to charge it, everything would have been fine.

I have a degree from COHK (College of Hard Knocks) but it seems the tuition for these post grad classes just keeps getting higher and higher. Ah, the cost of an education these days!! Thx again everyone.

airic7

Reaction score
white light

i too am getting the white light. what i don't understand is that i put it on the charger about an hour ago, before it even ran down. Last time i checked it said it was up to 20 %. I didn't mess with it. Now it's just a black screen with the white light no matter what charger I am on. I guess I will leave it alone for a while and hope for the best. Mine is a droid bionic.

Thanks.

airic7

Reaction score
I found the solution: [video=youtube;yYZJ_x4zRFQ]http://youtu.be/yYZJ_x4zRFQ[/video]
it worked exactly as this video indicated!
thanks!