Backup Assistant for RubiX Focused

sephtin

Reaction score
wouldn't the META-INF and system folders conflict because of the same name?

Great question!

Only way I know to explain how this won't cause a conflict, is to explain how the install script works within the patch...
Inside the META-INF\com\google\android\ folder is update-script, which is the installation script file that gives the instructions of what to do. In the case of both of the patches you mention, it just copies the contents of /system/app/* over, which in this case are just a few .apk files. (The installer would create the directories if necessary, but since they already exist, it just copies the files).

No conflicts. The patches will work fine. Hope this better explains. :) If you have additional questions, by all means ask away!

Edit: Also, to answer your previous question of "Where should I put the files..." IF you were to extract the files from the zip files... the files in the /system/app/ directories within th e.zip file would go to /system/app on your phone...
If you do this via root explorer (no other file manager can do this to my knowledge, because /system is read only, and root explorer has a "Mount RW" option, allowing the copy to go through)... then I would also double check permissions, to make sure they're the same as the other files within the dir. Patching takes care of this.

Last edited:

cchang136

Reaction score
I'm still a little confused as to what to do with the files. Am I dragging the contents of them onto the root of the SD? or the Zip files? And what do i do when I have it on the SD. And I don't understand how you can drag the 2 META-INFs and System files onto the root without it asking you to replace one folder for the other. Or should I combine them? Thanks alot i really appreciate it.

drewdown757

Reaction score
I'm still a little confused as to what to do with the files. Am I dragging the contents of them onto the root of the SD? or the Zip files? And what do i do when I have it on the SD. And I don't understand how you can drag the 2 META-INFs and System files onto the root without it asking you to replace one folder for the other. Or should I combine them? Thanks alot i really appreciate it.

Download the zip file and place it in the root of the sd card. Dont unzip it! Then boot into recovery and install the zip file through the list of options.

sephtin

Reaction score

Put the .zip file on your SDCard, and:

I finally got back up assistant to work. Next question, I see the OP posted fixes for the calendar and brightness. Where am I supposed to put the contents of those zip files? Thanks a lot

Reboot into recovery and install them. Put them on the root of SDCard, and...

From memory (so.. close...) :S
--DroidXBootstrapper> reboot recovery
--Install .zip from SDCard
--Choose zip form SDCard
--Select the .zip file
--Choose yes.
--hit the back button, and reboot.

HTH.

cchang136

Reaction score
THANKS. you guys are really a giant help. Now I just have to try to do the themes and i have one more problem. I have a sync sign that has been there for the last 6 hours in the top bar. No clue why its there or what its doing.. any ideas?

sephtin

Reaction score
THANKS. you guys are really a giant help. Now I just have to try to do the themes and i have one more problem. I have a sync sign that has been there for the last 6 hours in the top bar. No clue why its there or what its doing.. any ideas?

With 2.2, google data backup will restore your applications through the market (this begins when you open the market for the first time after install). If you're doing it over 3g, it can take a long time for this to complete.. and **could** be the cause of your issue.

The other common cause for this, is having backed up data from one ROM, and restored it to a different ROM via titanium backup. Titanium backup restores have repeatedly shown to cause issues when not restoring to the same base system that the backup was taken on...

If it's just syncing to catch up, it'll go away, just be patient. If you've done a restore from titanium.. you're probably looking at a reinstall.

Last edited:

cchang136

Reaction score
well I backed up from my stock os and then installed rubix and then restored. I didn't have it from any other custom roms. does that matter?

cchang136

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure gmail is the culprit. is there any way to uninstall/reinstall gmail? I couldn't find it in apps

sephtin

Reaction score
well I backed up from my stock os and then installed rubix and then restored. I didn't have it from any other custom roms. does that matter?

To confirm:
You backed up from one system (stock, or whatever).. and then installed rubiX, and restored to it using titanium, correct?
Then yes, this is absolutely the cause of the issue. You're looking at another re-install to resolve. If you don't want to reinstall... you will have constant sync'ing, and much worse battery life.

From other reports on these forums (and from droidxforums)... MyBackup Pro doesn't causes this.

More info here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-roms/87326-rom-two-roms-guys-crazy-13.html#post901145

Last edited:

sephtin

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure gmail is the culprit. is there any way to uninstall/reinstall gmail? I couldn't find it in apps

I'd say yes.. but it doesn't matter, I'm almost certain you're in for a list of other problems as well (as per past reports)... See link from my last post. Your best option is to reinstall, and not restore data using titanium.

cchang136

Reaction score
oh boy... Spent all day doing this, and now I have to redo it.. hah.. if I use mybackup pro, can i just backup everything on my droid now? then reinstall rubix by just going into recovery and install from rubix zip again?

sephtin

Reaction score
oh boy... Spent all day doing this, and now I have to redo it.. hah.. if I use mybackup pro, can i just backup everything on my droid now? then reinstall rubix by just going into recovery and install from rubix zip again?

You can try, worst case, you can just reinstall... ?
Better yet, if you followed the directions to install rubiX, you should have a backup of your previous install... so you could always go back to that, use MyBackup from that.. then re-install rubiX and restore?
(Check ROM Manager, and see if there's anything listed in "Manager and Restore Backups")

My personal preference, is to re-set things up the way you like them the clean way... that I can assure you won't cause these issues.
Taking data from one install, and transferring it to a completely different version of the install is never going to be 100% safe. You're restoring data from an install that has all of the blur applications and stock stuff, and restoring that to a ROM that is stripped down and optimized for speed, efficiency, and battery life (etc.).
As stated before, some have better luck than others. No reported problems with MyBackup, so if you NEED to restore, that's your best bet.

Hope this helps!

Fizher570

Reaction score
Installed Rubix 1.6 focused.. and tried this... I assume this may just be for .5 but it has worked for me... up until the point where I pull up my contacts and see only a handfull (roughly 20) in the list. Any ideas as to what might be the issue? Any help is appreciated and love the job you guys do.

sephtin

Reaction score
Installed Rubix 1.6 focused.. and tried this... I assume this may just be for .5 but it has worked for me... up until the point where I pull up my contacts and see only a handfull (roughly 20) in the list. Any ideas as to what might be the issue? Any help is appreciated and love the job you guys do.

Those contacts were probably local to your phone, in which case, they were syncing up with BackUp Assistant. I believe BUA can be made to work with Focused... but I will simply recommend you avoid that headache, and just migrate them over to Google Contacts:
Migrating contacts from "Phone" (BackUp Assistant), to Google Contacts

HTH!

Fizher570

Reaction score
Well the issue is just with them being displayed. If I get a phone call, it shows the name, but they do not appear under the contacts tab. Tried messing with the contact display settings but no dice. Guess I may just have to do it the other way?