background sync settings ?

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
searched and didn't really see an answer.

my options are:
[ ] When background data' is checked
[ ] when background data' & 'autosync are....
[x] always
[ ] never

What do they mean and what would be the best answer for saving battery life and still getting pop emails? (this is in k9 btw)

thanx for any help

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Background data" refers to a phone settings (under data manager). I would keep background data checked. Sync is another phone setting.

As for K9, it wants to know if it should check for mail when background data is on, when background data and sync are on, always no matter what is on, or never.

Personally, I leave background and sync on and I set K9 to "when background is on". This is pretty much the same as "always" because I always leave background checked. Don't be afraid to leave background data and sync on. Some people toggle it off and on all the time trying to save battery power. It's a hassle that isn't saving much power.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

I'll just mention a few other things for the heck of it. I leave the phone settings for GPS, wifi, bluetooth, background data, sync, etc. ON ALL THE TIME. I think that this is how the phone is designed to act. You don't need to toggle stuff on and off all the time.

GPS - comes on when needed. When done with maps, go to home screen. When done with Navigation, choose exit from the menu.
wifi - uses less power than 3G so use it whenever you can. Doesn't really use much power when scanning (it's just receiving, I think)
bluetooth - if you use it every day then just leave it on. Turn off your headset when done using it.
background data and sync - it's a smart phone. don't you want it to be able to send and receive data? anyway, it uses very little power.

THE ONE EXCEPTION seems to be with the Droid X. There is apparently a bug where GPS comes on and, even after you're done using it, won't let the phone sleep. Until the update, you may want to leave GPS off when not in use.