Awfull voice dialing

Berniep

Reaction score
Tried to search but didnt come up with anything.
I came form a bionic and its stock voice dialer worked well for me.
I did have to disable one program and go back to voice commands after updating to JB.
Now on the S4 and s voice or whatever comes up when I hit the button on my headset is pretty good at speech to text.
But if I have contact entries with the same first name it gets very tedious. Plus I have contacts for my daughter based on what device I call.
IE. Jenny text, for her ipod and Jenny cell, for her phone and its impossible to get it to select one. Just keeps asking me to provide more information or select contact. I have to be able to dial without touching the phone.
I tried google now on my bionic about a year ago and it didnt work all that well for me.
I just want the darn thing to dial John smith and not ask me about all the other Johns in my contacts. Can I teach it? Am I going to have to come up with some cryptic code so that all my contacts have radically different names?

Any suggestions?

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Set it up under Jenny. Use the voice command Call Jenny Mobile for her cell and then set up her Ipod under mobile 2 which is also a command. Text Jenny Mobile 2. Try that. Also add last names.

OP
B

Berniep

Reaction score
Set it up under Jenny. Use the voice command Call Jenny Mobile for her cell and then set up her Ipod under mobile 2 which is also a command. Text Jenny Mobile 2. Try that. Also add last names.

Ok changed some things around in my contscts. Will see tomorrow if its liveable with my most used ones.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

OP
B

Berniep

Reaction score
Ok so it went ok with the voice dialing. Looks like I am gong to have to tailor the contacts to it. But this thing is amazing at the other stuff like reading and sending texts. It can read me new texts and send them out all without looking at the phone. So I guess its worth the trade off.

Paulreilly1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I am having the same issue.
I have been a longtime blackberry user (15 years) but my clients are Android and all my email is hosted via google systems.
When I got an LG G3 it connected fine... when I said "call Tami xxxx" it did not work at all it came back with call "no contact for Tammy yyyy"
My wife's name is Tami, this is not a contact i can skip.
So i looked online and found out to set the phonetic name. Did that both online and, after that did not work, on the phone so I discovered I could spell my name (both parts) and in fact if I just spell the first name it works too!!
Is their a real solution with this? this is 10year old tech to a blackberry user?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have great luck with Google Now, though I've only used it a few times. My girlfriend's last name is Godlewski, but it's pronounced with the eh sound instead of the ew sound that you'd think it should be pronounced with.

Google Now gets it. Can't remember if it got it right on the first try or not, but it works very consistently now.

I disabled S voice. It's cumbersome and doesn't really seem to offer anything over Google Now that I just have to have and Google Now syncs across all my devices.