Is the voice dialing really this bad?

ggodat

Reaction score
Am i missing something? Love the Droid but the voice dial is horrible. Given that the Google voice search is awesome i'm extremely disappointed that the voice dial is much worse than the phones from several years ago. I'll say the name of a contact "Call Bill Gates mobile" and i'll get a phone number that appears to have been selected at random from somewhere on the planet. the number is not in my contacts.

Hopefully i'm missing something but the voice dial on the BB Curve puts this phone to shame.

ValkF6

Reaction score
Maybe Google is so good that it's really Bill Gates' mobile number? ;-)

It's supposed to get better in the next operating system release.

y0manda

Reaction score
yes the number your phone is calling is Bill Gates new cell phone number, you probably didn't update it in your contacts.

Taegost

Reaction score
*rofl* yeah it's pretty bad. It'll be fixed in 2.2, but until then I use HF Dial, it is a paid app but well worth the money. You can pair it with another free app and bind it to your camera button to make it easy to use.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just use the Google search to voice dial with. It works much better. Press search, the microphone, then say call (enter name) and Google will dial the number for you. Works much better then voice search.

Taegost

Reaction score
Just use the Google search to voice dial with. It works much better. Press search, the microphone, then say call (enter name) and Google will dial the number for you. Works much better then voice search.

I didn't realize those were two different things, I just thought it was an alternate way to get into the voice search!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I didn't realize those were two different things, I just thought it was an alternate way to get into the voice search!

Nope, it's two completely different things. Google works well it's the voice search that actually sucks. Some people also like Gesture search, I prefer the voice.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

When it works it nice, 1/2 the time it pulls up a web page tho.. even tho in the box shows exactly what I said.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When it works it nice, 1/2 the time it pulls up a web page tho.. even tho in the box shows exactly what I said.

Do you specifically say "call" before your search subject? I think maybe 1 time I've seen that happen.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Do you specifically say "call" before your search subject? I think maybe 1 time I've seen that happen.

Yep Ill say "Call Home" and I get the web with results for "Call Home"

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

LOL, I've never had that happen to me. It's always called home.

Maybe it's something in your tone. Or mine. ;)

Taegost

Reaction score

LOL, I've never had that happen to me. It's always called home.

Maybe it's something in your tone. Or mine. ;)

It never worked right for me either, but then again, I didn't realize there are two different parts to the application. I saw a screen shot of the BT dialing in Froyo the other day, and the screen looks identical to the one from HF Dial... Which made me think that all the app does is provide a direct link to that secondary feature :)