Droid Paired To Zumo GPS - No Contacts

SteveAikens

Reaction score
I ride a motorcycle equipped with a Garmin Zumo tied to a comm system. I recently switched from a Blackberry Curve to the Moto Droid. When I paired the Droid to the Zumo, I was surprised to see I had no contact list displayed. With the Blackberry, I had not only the contact list, I had voice dialing which is pretty important on a motorcycle. I can live without the voice dialing - doesn't work through the GPS with the Droid. However, not having a contact list to dial from is unacceptable. It does show recent and missed calls but the name association with the number is missing - every entry is "Unknown".

Considering what I have invested in this Droid, I'm reluctant to go back to the Blackberry but if I can't at least beam up the contacts in the phone - that's what's got to happen.

Anyone got any help on this?

Steve Aikens

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Zumo GPS so yours may be different. I had a problem the first few times I tried this with my Droid GPS. Then one day I tried it at home rather than in the car. I noticed that a notification came up on the Droid that I had to pull down and accept for it to sync the contacts correctly (just like when you plug it into a USB and have to mount the SD card). After I did that all the names showed up. Only had to do this once and ever since then it automatically syncs every time I get in the car. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

OP
S

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm on the phone wiht Verizon at the moment. I'll see how that works out then try your suggestion if she fails me. Thanks.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues with my Garmin Nuvi when I first got the GPS -- somehow I was missing the prompt on the Droid where the GPS asks for permission to access the contact list. I had to re-pair the thing a few times before it worked properly.

Edit: also make sure the software on the Zumo is up-to-date

OP
S

SteveAikens

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Zumo GPS so yours may be different. I had a problem the first few times I tried this with my Droid GPS. Then one day I tried it at home rather than in the car. I noticed that a notification came up on the Droid that I had to pull down and accept for it to sync the contacts correctly (just like when you plug it into a USB and have to mount the SD card). After I did that all the names showed up. Only had to do this once and ever since then it automatically syncs every time I get in the car. Hopefully this will work for you as well.

VZ was great but no help on this issue. I pulled the Zumo and beamed it up here in the house and sure enough, the phone was awaiting permission to sync the contacts. Told it OK and it's all there.

Thanks.

Steve Aikens

OP
S

SteveAikens

Reaction score
I had similar issues with my Garmin Nuvi when I first got the GPS -- somehow I was missing the prompt on the Droid where the GPS asks for permission to access the contact list. I had to re-pair the thing a few times before it worked properly.

Edit: also make sure the software on the Zumo is up-to-date

Yep, that's that ticket. Works fine now. Unfortunately, the Droid doesn't support voice dial through the GPS but I can live with it now that I have my contacts.

And thanks for the observation on the Zumo updates. Mine's current but someone else looking at this thread may not be. Good note.

Thanks guys/gals.

Steve Aikens