Assign Hardware Button

msmojorisin

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am just curious if you can assign the hardware buttons certain functions. my goals is to somehow assign one of the hardware buttons to fast forward songs when i am listening to music thanks!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, welcome ;)

i have seen a few apps that make use of the hardware buttons to do something else (like Home++ can use the camera button to take screenshots), but i haven't seen an app specifically for reassigning keys..

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first, welcome ;)

i have seen a few apps that make use of the hardware buttons to do something else (like Home++ can use the camera button to take screenshots), but i haven't seen an app specifically for reassigning keys..

The apps name is a tough one to remember. It's called buttons.:D It's a freebie at the market. I haven't tried it but that's my understanding of what it's suppose to do.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Button Shortcut

chart

justreboot

Reaction score
I'm using Button Shortcut as well. I've remapped the Camera Button to go to Visual Voicemail. I did the same thing on my old Storm 2.

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
i just downloaded this and tried getting the camera button to open my camera, didn't work. Then barcode scanner, didn't work...

Then I deleted the stupid application

OP
M

msmojorisin

Reaction score
yeah i installed the app from social media but it would only let me use the camera button to open a program. i really need it to skip a track when listening to music. i had the omnia i900 windows mobile 6.1 and it let you assign almost every button a certain function and i set one button to the function "scroll right" and when my music player is open and can push that button and it goes to the next song, that was the best!

hinky

Reaction score
Any issues with Button Shortcut?

Yes - assigning this to voice dialer or the phone application results in an error message which it says you can terminate or wait for the phone app. After about a 3-5 second delay, the phone app works just fine. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to quickly pull up the desired phone dialer or voice dialer without delay.

Not sure if the app isn't working or Google has #$@#ed with the phone shoving Google things on every button that you don't need, including the camera.

floodee123

Reaction score
Wow.

Home++ was really nice but i wish i would have found it earlier b4 i got used to stock...is there a way to keep the native screen but have the press the camera button to capture the screen??? thanks:motdroidhoriz::greendroid:

hinky

Reaction score
Home++ was really nice but i wish i would have found it earlier b4 i got used to stock...is there a way to keep the native screen but have the press the camera button to capture the screen??? thanks:motdroidhoriz::greendroid:

No. Screen capture right now is a major PITA with no solution. Needs to be in the API.

Regarding reassigning the camera button, it's not working for me yet. I had it assigned to voice dilaing but it nails me with a 5-6 second delay.

bobthebob

Reaction score
forgive the noob question - but I'm wanting to go in the other direction: I want to assign button functionality to software...

specifically I want to create a 'swipe' type gesture that will function exactly like the 'back' button on my DX.

I'm sick of having to shift my hand around and press down on the back button every 3 seconds.

looked around for an app but have found nada - I've started building some basic Android apps (VERY basic) so I figured maybe I'd build this one!

anyway - a link to the hardware API's would be helpful - for some reason I'm having a hard time finding them, there's just too much noise for meaningful search results on 'android' 'hardware' 'API'

cheers,
bennett