Are you in favor or against Android dropping the app drawer

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think ultimately it will be a choice that Google leaves to its users which will be available through the settings. That way everyone remains happy whether there's an app drawer or not.

As for me, I wouldn't want a home screen of where I keep apps I never use.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Im going to have to bookmark this thread to see how this turn out.

1) if this ends up being one of those stories that turns out to not pan out.

2) if Google do go this route or have an option, to see how many people adopt it and ends up actually liking it.

There have been several android stories over the years that were met with hostilities and ended up eventually be not only accepted but like opposed to the way it was before. Of course I would have to dig through this forum to find them but I know they exist. :p

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@pc747 ... Let's see ! I for one have said No Way to no removable batteries and sd cards ...and stock phones to mention a few things ...and unlimited data ...adopt and carry on for me ...

6s Plus

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
@pc747 ... Let's see ! I for one have said No Way to no removable batteries and sd cards ...and stock phones to mention a few things ...and unlimited data ...adopt and carry on for me ...

6s Plus

And yet you own an iPhone 6s Plus that check all of those boxes. You've changed.

9452037f07b6dc4647498f65ed84faed2b010dd587a19d0095afbbb7b6c86bcb.jpg

Yeah I said last year I would never own a Samsung again, two years ago I would never own a phone I could not root, and there was a time I was going to hold on to unlimited data for life.

I now own a Note 5 that is not rooted on a share plan. And my Nexus 6 is a glorified alarm clock that is not rooted.

I guess I've changed as well. :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I too think this will be like the Google search bar..a user selected feature..I for one don't want all of my apps on my home screens...I like the app drawer and think that further user customization is probably the way to go..if Samsung is doing this..I'd bet customization is the direction they're headed with their already "light and nimble" touch wiz. Or perhaps this is a bad attempt at streamlining it..

acorn

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
What's the alternative? The app drawer isn't one of the Android features that makes my scratch my head.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Jeeze lately I'm feeling like Android just wants me to switch to iOS. That was like one of my main points when telling Apple users why I prefer Android... Better organization, and an ability to find your apps in a sorted way, like alphabetically, through your drawer.

I think it's so stupid to not have any sorting and for the user to just have to remember where they placed their 100+ apps (I have soo many apps, but every time I try to go through and clean them, I find that I actually use them all)

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate this idea so much that if I get a phone with N on it I will flash it back to an OS version with the App drawer.

I'll NEVER go to IOS. I'd die first. And I will not stand for no App drawer in Android.

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
It would seem to me that if you clobber the app drawer, just like iOS, EVERYTHING will end up on the homescreens. That DESTROYS the ability to use widgets, see your wallpaper, or customize your homescreen in any effective way, all major features of Android. The clean look was Androids biggest pull. Clutter was iOS's.

This would be a REALLY stupid move.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Nova FTW ...but I agree makes sense to leave option in there for users ...

As stated b4 it's more of a pain to have apps in folders...I do miss the widgets mostly ...

Everything else lines up nicely @smalltowngirl13
d302bd977bbaea8867aeb271701c4497.jpg
9d6736e0519ff7dde9d2cffd4e9f4f8b.jpg

6s Plus

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Please no. I like having a bare screen. If I need an app I rarely use, I click the app icon. Itoys ui is horrible.

I've never understood this. Why do you want a huge display which tells you nothing?

But then I've never understood the whole "sexy" phone thing as an accessory, either.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I've never understood this. Why do you want a huge display which tells you nothing?

But then I've never understood the whole "sexy" phone thing as an accessory, either.

He didn't say that the screen would be bare. Just that he only keeps apps he regularly uses on the home screen, making them more easy and convenient to find, while the apps he uses less often can be easily found in the app drawer.

It's no different from how a PC/OS X/Linux desktop manages your applications. Nobody likes a cluttered desktop on a computer- why would you want that on your phone?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
He didn't say that the screen would be bare. Just that he only keeps apps he regularly uses on the home screen, making them more easy and convenient to find, while the apps he uses less often can be easily found in the app drawer.

It's no different from how a PC/OS X/Linux desktop manages your applications. Nobody likes a cluttered desktop on a computer- why would you want that on your phone?
Correct. My home screen. Can I fill it with every app I have installed sure but why have a desktop image then?

14c362f2209556c019ccb5fa77fa5e32.jpg

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Maybe Android 7's app drawer will be like Android 5's silent mode- replacing silent with a stupid priority option, only to bring it back in 6 after everyone complained about it.