Are you in favor or against Android dropping the app drawer

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Far too late for that. 80% of 3rd party launchers already have an app drawer. If not 90%.

TapaTurboII

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Launchers though. This can be just an app.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Does anyone think that Google is reading this thread? They are gonna do whatever they want regardless...right? In the end do our opinions even matter?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Meh. As has been said: I can just create a folder and put every app in it. Put it where the app drawer lives today: done. No need for an app.
Still think it sucks. Google, please stop copying Apple. It's bumming me out...a loyal fan.
Remove SD cards.
Remove removable batteries.
Rename Google Wallet to Android Pay.
Remove the app drawer.
What's next? Push all my apps to the top of the screen?
Keep it up. I'll switch to an iPhone. At least they give a s*** about my privacy. Unlike you.
#Fail

TapaTurboII

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Meh. As has been said: I can just create a folder and put every app in it. Put it where the app drawer lives today: done. No need for an app.
Still think it sucks. Google, please stop copying Apple. It's bumming me out...a loyal fan.
Remove SD cards.
Remove removable batteries.
Rename Google Wallet to Android Pay.
Remove the app drawer.
What's next? Push all my apps to the top of the screen?
Keep it up. I'll switch to an iPhone. At least they give a s*** about my privacy. Unlike you.
#Fail

TapaTurboII
Don't kill my dreams. Man so much hate....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Does anyone think that Google is reading this thread? They are gonna do whatever they want regardless...right? In the end do our opinions even matter?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No. But we're still going to express our opinions here. As we always do.
Google's never been really known for caring what we want.
Geez....I'm getting more anti-google by the minute ..er...post.

TapaTurboII

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. But we're still going to express our opinions here. As we always do.
Google's never been really known for caring what we want.
Geez....I'm getting more anti-google by the minute ..er...post.

TapaTurboII
I'm not pro any other os but I think everything Google does is about the Benjamins not the users spending those Benjamins. I've noticed lately when I go to links with ads the ads are coincidentally something I've looked at recently be it Amazon, Best Buy, etc no matter the browser I use on my Android device. I don't use Chrome on my desktop and haven't had those coincidences happen. Hmmmm . I wonder if there was no app drawer how that would potentially profit Google since most apps are purchased through their Play Store? Yes there are other stores and side loads but I'd bet Play is by far the most used method for adding apps on our devices.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
It truly can go either way. Maybe the fanatics like us may not want to see it go, but what about the casual user that doesn't know forums like this exist and don't truly appreciate the tech side of Android? Honestly, we fanatics are probably in the minority of Android users.

Personally, I'm not a fan of seeing the app drawer go away either. I try to take a semi-minimalist approach with my home screens by loading them up with my most-used apps and some widgets from other apps, and leave it at that. Other apps I have but don't use as often are relegated solely to the app drawer.

However...my girlfriend pretty much lives in the app drawer as far as her phone goes. Like, literally. Her app drawer is her "home screen." In my eyes, she's kind of defeating the purpose of the phone by doing this, but it's what she is accustomed to. I can see the non-existence of the app drawer being fine for someone like her where all the apps would be on the home screens.

At least give us the option. Maybe by default leave the app drawer turned off to appeal to the general user, but keep the option to turn it on available for the die-hard users (and make it an option that isn't nearly impossible to find).

Last edited:

kjumper187

Reaction score
So, I'm going to have to create a folder, name it...oh, i don't know...app drawer, drop all my none frequent apps into it, and move the folder to the bottom of the screen. Grr! That's a crap-ton of work.

Can't you just leave the good stuff alone!?!?

RyanPm40

Reaction score
You don't need a $600 phone for that when a $15 digital picture frame does the job just as well.

You can't carry a picture frame in your pocket, and as others have stated, can you get a 2K picture frame? What's wrong with wanting a desktop background you can see; do you not do that on your PC?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't carry a picture frame in your pocket, and as others have stated, can you get a 2K picture frame? What's wrong with wanting a desktop background you can see; do you not do that on your PC?

I think it is more an attitude of "everyone should use their device the way I do."

The key to me is this: Having the app drawer doesn't mean you have to use. But not having it means you CAN'T use it. Why anyone we be opposed to having it is beyond me. Whether your use it or not is up to you. I happen to use it quite frequently. But then according to many in this thread I am weird (apparently).

This reminds me of when I would rip Apphole fans for not having an sd-card slot. "I don't need it!" I would always say it is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. (And I am glad to see OEMs bring them back!)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nah, weird are the people that don't use it. I don't use it often but I do use it as my main apps are in 4 folders on home screen, the other 100 apps are either in app drawer or disabled.
78db323824262e649a66ffe7c4fae858.jpg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah, weird are the people that don't use it. I don't use it often but I do use it as my main apps are in 4 folders on home screen, the other 100 apps are either in app drawer or disabled.
78db323824262e649a66ffe7c4fae858.jpg
That's a nice clean looking set of folders.
Use both folders and a drawer. How quaint
I can set up to 35 apps in my dock on this phone, up to 55 (maybe more?) with Nova Launcher on my 10" tablet and 45 on my 8" tablet. Combine that with a few well done folders like yours, or using apps I used to use before Launchers for customizing folder icon, and I could live without an app drawer and still have my wallpaper unobstructed.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm using Google now more than ever with voice commands. Less apps I need to click on.