Are you considering the Motorola Shadow?

Kmart95

Reaction score
Im going to just stick around with the droid until my contract ends in december 2011. I'll probably be getting whatever the top of the line android phone on verizon is at the time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
My personal yet humble opinion. They are coming out with too many phones too fast. A lot of people wont like the idea of buying a phone and a month later it is the "old" model. They need to get a handle on this I am afraid or this craze wont last long. I love my Moto Droid but it seems the market seems to be getting saturated with Android phones. As soon as one comes out, its the "old" phone because the next best one is already being talked about.

The thing is, everybody's contract is not on the same time frame. And I understand ppl that buy phones at retail feeling a lil hurt. Thats why u gotta do your research. These phones were somewhat under the radar at Android forums (which I will keep repeating is kinda messed up), but at general technology and cellphone forums? They been talking about these phones since Jan, huge threads....probably since last year too. They were rumors, but still. I had just learned about the Shadow when the Inc. came out. And ppl still have 30 days to return the phone if they are feeling buyers remorse, June just got here. Me? I got my Droid in Apr, so I'm stuck or gotta pay retail....

But for someone in the market for a new phone in the next few months, its Christmas time: The Droid (which is getting older by the day, but is the cheapest option) The Inc., The Shadow, The Droid 2, The LG Ally, did I miss a phone, lol Verizon is loving this.

And remember, the main thing is: choice. U can choose whatever phone fits u best. If u prefer HTC phones, get the Inc. Prefer Motorola, get the Droid, Shadow, Droid 2. Prefer LG, get the Ally. Want a particular style, just pick n choose. If u are into the specs....thats where the choice becomes a lil harder.....:biggrin:

Darkseider

Reaction score
My personal yet humble opinion. They are coming out with too many phones too fast. A lot of people wont like the idea of buying a phone and a month later it is the "old" model. They need to get a handle on this I am afraid or this craze wont last long. I love my Moto Droid but it seems the market seems to be getting saturated with Android phones. As soon as one comes out, its the "old" phone because the next best one is already being talked about.

The mobile market, particularly the smartphone market, is going through a renaissance so to speak. With the rapid development of more powerful SoCs every few months and shrinking die sizes think of it as the whole Intel/AMD processor race a few years back. It will eventually settle down but will probably take a good 2 to 3 years to do so. In that time frame you will see a near exponential growth in the processing power of these phones EVERY YEAR. Don't be surprised that by the end of this you will be using your phone as your everyday phone, computer, PMP and even possibly a media center in conjunction with Google TV, Apple TV, etc...

Grand things are coming and this is just the first lap of what is guaranteed to be one wild ride!

Happystranger

Reaction score
My contract is up on the 10th of this month, and I am highly considering leaving Verizon for Sprint and the HTC Evo. Only thing keeping here so far is that a lot of people I know have Verizon and we take advantage of Verizon's in-network.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If u thinking about leaving for the phone only, u might as well stay and get the Inc. or Shadow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Appleanche

Reaction score
I wonder if this kind of quick phone "one ups" is going to cause carriers to rethink the two year plan ideas.. I guess they sort of thought of that when AT&T and Verizon upped their termination fees though.

But seriously as a consumer it sucks not to be able to upgrade to the latest and greatest technologies because I'm stuck on a 2 year contract. Phones are moving so rapidly now, every month it seems like we're looking at a greater technology on the horizon.. especially in speed.

I don't think I'd upgrade, I really am quite content with my Droid. I like having a physical keyboard, soon game gripper, it's speedy enough for me. Unless we get some higher res and bigger screens to go along with the speed and ram upgrade I don't really see the big point.

irishpride

Reaction score
I just got the Incredible, but I'm going to be selling my Moto Droid, so I can either get the Droid2 or the Shadow, before I commit to anything I'm waiting to see if they will have any form of blur on them. They would be ruining what could be a truly great phone if the add blur, can the people at Motorola not see that no one but 16 year old girls like blur, its horrible.

piiman

Reaction score
I just bought my droid 3 months ago so I wont be upgrading to anything anytime soon :-/

Buying a phone these days is like trying to by the latest greatest computer equipment. There always seem to be something better just around the corner. So with that I might if it's out before my 30days with the incredible are up. (I get that Monday)

piiman

Reaction score
Lol its funny how the incredible is already getting old...

If verizon had a promotion where original droid users could upgrade to the shadow, i would definatly upgrade. Since my upgrade is up in January, i'll have to wait :)

By then the Shadow will be getting old:)

Techenigma

Reaction score
Well I just warranty replaced my Droid, so a new one is coming tomorrow. The second I get it I'll be loading up Froyo 2.2, overclocking it again and restore my backups. So already I'm running comparable to the new equipment out there.

I wanted to get the Droid Incredible, but I'm holding off on that until the Shadow comes out. Then its just a matter of comparing the available market options to decide if I upgrade or not. The dedicated GPU on the Droid does make a difference in terms of my upgrade choice. The Snapdragon has on-board graphics so graphical performance is affected. Example: Asphalt (basically N4S for smartphones) runs perfectly on my Droid, but lags like hell on a Snapdragon based phone. Not a deal breaker, but just a benchmark in terms of capabilities of the processors. So long story, I'll definitely upgrade, but with the incredible momentum smartphones are moving forward with now it could be a while before I actually do just to get the latest and greatest.

kristoff125

Reaction score
Honestly, with the customizability / overclockingness (I know they're not real words, spellcheck told me so) of the droid, it's still the most powerful android phone out there, the physical keyboard is a plus, and the fact that the support from the hackers / rom cookers / free phone if you break it doing something stupid from verizon because it's not a year old yet, makes it by far the best phone available. the fact that it runs vanilla android and not some stupid modified by a moronic corporation version because they think they can make sliced bread better is another plus. Clearly the best phone available currently, doesn't have a front facing camera, but I'm sorry, I don't do video chat that often, and even if I have a front facing camera, doesn't mean everyone else I know has one too. They throw pointless features on phones nowadays that you can't fully utilize to sell the phone and say it's special. Until a phone comes out with a dual core 1.5ghz min processor, maybe an intel atom, (snapdragon is overrated) or maybe a TI OMAP dual core, it's really not worth the fuss. Although I recently did see a phone that can (supposedly) run World of Warcraft, which would be impressive, however they claimed the server was down at the time of the video and couldn't log in, or they knew it couldn't go past the login screen.

Basically, the droid is the best phone I've ever had, and ever seen in my life. And this is about 7 months after I got it. there goes that whole, phones are outdated in 3 months, it's running Froyo which just came out unofficially on the official google phone.

piiman

Reaction score
the fact that it runs vanilla android and not some stupid modified by a moronic corporation version because they think they can make sliced bread better is another plus.

as opposed to Google's stupid unmodified moronic corporation version because you think they sliced the bread better? :) I tried vanilla android and frankly it seems a little vanilla and limited. SinceUI isn't a draw back but some of course will prefer Vanilla. Nothing wrong with that and your free to customize both. I just don't understand the hate for something that IMO adds to the UI. If you don't like it change it but don't hate on it.dancedroid

That's the great thing about our phones unlike the iPhone