Apps That Frequently Update

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else feel uncomfortable about this? I have a couple of apps that seem to update nearly every other day. I keep thinking, "What's with the developer, they can't get it right?"

Two that come to mind is handcent and twidroid. I dumped handcent this morning and I'm keeping twidroid because I can't find a better twitter app. It still bugs me though.
many app developers for the marketplace aren't immersed in professional development have no idea about project life cycles. most of it is trial and error and you're the guinea pig.

you have the option to ignore application updates. just don't update them. put it in your head to only update those applications once a month, or wait until the comments start rolling in to see if anything changes afterwards.

I guess you're right. I'm just wired to update when an update comes in, it doesn't occur to me to ignore the update.

After all, what do I expect for free?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anybody else feel uncomfortable about this? I have a couple of apps that seem to update nearly every other day. I keep thinking, "What's with the developer, they can't get it right?"

Two that come to mind is handcent and twidroid. I dumped handcent this morning and I'm keeping twidroid because I can't find a better twitter app. It still bugs me though.
many app developers for the marketplace aren't immersed in professional development have no idea about project life cycles. most of it is trial and error and you're the guinea pig.

you have the option to ignore application updates. just don't update them. put it in your head to only update those applications once a month, or wait until the comments start rolling in to see if anything changes afterwards.

I guess you're right. I'm just wired to update when an update comes in, it doesn't occur to me to ignore the update.

After all, what do I expect for free?
I update each day, whatever is available. Coming from BB, as long as they don't 'break' their app, they can update all they want :). Having things progress with each update is still a treat for me :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
I update every chance I can too, but meebo should have been an example of what can happen to an app when they break it.

Sodner

Reaction score
I'm with the OP on this. I feel like way to many apps are being updated way to often. Does it worry me? No. But it does make me question the developers ability.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do not mind being part of the development cycle one bit. I've been using Xscope Browser for a while now and the developer asked if we wanted frequent updates for minor issues or wait and less frequent larger updates. I think almost all users expressed the desire to have frequent updates. I think it's been cool to watch this program and others grow in function and appearance and a lot of it was based on our feedback. Kind of makes me feel more a part of the Droid experience.

droidfannd

Reaction score
I would always prefer and appreciate a developer that actively works to improve their applications.

What does an update cost me? Nothing.

I'm not clear on what aspect of updating applications makes you 'uncomfortable?'

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, just what app are we talking about? List them.

Have you gone and made comments in the market place for the app? Tell 'em!

Other than that, you grabbed the app for a reason, sometimes they make updates that have no relation to the droid, but to other platforms, such as the eris, etc.

Sleeve

Reaction score
I can see both sides of this discussion. There are some devs out there putting out updates to get features out as soon as they figure them out and do a solid test across a few Android devices. There are some devs that get problem reports and hack their way to a fix.

I've seen a lot of apps grow very fast, and I'm very pleased that there is no review cycle by a central authority, allowing this pace of change.

Psychokitty

Reaction score
App Rant (pertinent to OP's topic...)

I look at what the app update is supposed to "fix", and especially if nothing's listed, I pay close attention to the comments people are making about the app. Yeah, it's a pain, but it is a download onto your phone, after all. Developers use us to beta test their app, and then either further develop it or call it "finished", and make us either pay for it or suffer with an adware-injected version. I've been backing up my apps onto my sd card more frequently now so I can revert back to versions of apps before they were injected with adware if need be. (I REALLY hate that crap! I will gladly pay for it if it's good enough. At least offer us the choice!) This is the same as downloading great freeware onto your computer only to find it loads some bull**** toolbar into your browser.
I now have six apps that show up on my updates list that I won't update because of this issue. Unfortunately I think there's a growing trend towards doing this and more really great ad-free apps are turning into obnoxious commercial bites. I don't want my Droid to be a series of commercials. I already paid enough for it.