Apps mysteriously uninstalling

jstwondrng

Reaction score
I agree... This is the only gripe I have with the phone. First, we should be able to save files anywhere (internal memory, SD-Card... etc). Second, we shouldn't have apps disappearing. I had two disappear on me tonight :(

If anyone here knows how to report issues to Motorola, please share!

BePrepared

Reaction score
I too have had apps disappear. One was the Fox8 app, for those who might be from the Triad area of NC. When I reinstalled it for the third or fourth time, I checked and noticed it that it had automatically installed itself in the "Media area." I clicked on "Move to Phone", so we'll see if this corrects the problem.

The other app, ironically enough, was the app for this forum. It too had installed in the "Media area." I moved it to the phone as well. I hope this solves the problem of the disappearing apps.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anything but Media in the Media area will be lost. If you move it to the phone it will solve the problem.

The solution Verizon needs to take is to stick only Media in the Media section, and give you the option of putting aps on the phone or the sd-ext card.

holjes

Reaction score
I have also had the same problem. Had 3 apps in the media section. Have not had a problem since moving back but I second that this is just ridiculous. Only gripe so far though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

GadgetRick

Reaction score
In reading through this thread, it seems as though the apps to move apps to the SD card may be moving them to the wrong area (the media area)?

It also sounds as though if the apps are on the SD card they should work fine?

If these are true, then it's just the apps which need to be fixed (in this situation)?

btw, for those of you who keep saying, "just keep the apps on the internal memory". Many of us don't want to put a bunch of stuff there. As you fill up the memory there, the phone will slow down. My original Droid has this problem. There are many apps which cannot be moved to the SD card and I'm over 3/4 full on the internal memory for apps. Phone is slow as hell. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to use the SD card for apps. I'd much rather have them there. We can always put a 32GB SD card in if we ever need more memory.

btw, why the heck didn't Moto include a 32GB SD card like the TB? I mean, it's a premium phone so why not? But I digress...

scdown

Reaction score
Don't move apps to the SD card - the internal phone space is more than enough for every app you will ever need. Move all your apps back to the phone and they will be fine. APPSToSD moves them to the wrong area - they will vanish.

That's missing the point - the option to move to the SD card (or on this phone, the "media area"), is to allow the user to decide where it gets installed. If the option is available, and it has been since Froyo, then it should work.

I agree that 4GB is a lot of storage (a hell of a lot more than on my OG Droid), but remember that Verizon puts a lot of bloat out there, too, and until there's an SBF (and ultimately, custom recovery and ROM to allow us to completely stock-out our phones), most of us won't be just removing all of those apps.

Just my inflation adjusted $.02.

TatDroid

Reaction score
So I downloaded the Business Calendar app from the Amazon app store as a free app of the day. Now it's gone. But when I go to the Amazon store now and click on "my apps" to reinstall it I only get the option to "open" it, which it won't do. Obviously my phone is showing the app store that it IS there, and showing me that it's not. Aarrgghhh!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

holjes

Reaction score
Try going into application and clicking media and see if it is checked there and uncheck to send back to main memory. Only guess I have.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

klosea

Reaction score
Apps uninstalling on bionic

On the Moto forums they are calling it a BUG.The apps are not moved to sdcard-that is only for music or pics right now. They are moved to a 8 GB storage area which is very buggy. After moving an app there and rebooting it eventually "disappears" - making you download it again! There is no real work around except keep the apps on phone which severely limits the # of apps. I have tried 3 different launchers, set up,deleted the com file and reset my icons at least 4 times only to have them slowly disappear each time. Spent at least 18 hours on this only to google "bionic wont save apps to sd card" and found thread in moto forums. Sure is a disappointment for such a large investment. Don't know what to do?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
On the Moto forums they are calling it a BUG.The apps are not moved to sdcard-that is only for music or pics right now. They are moved to a 8 GB storage area which is very buggy. After moving an app there and rebooting it eventually "disappears" - making you download it again! There is no real work around except keep the apps on phone which severely limits the # of apps. I have tried 3 different launchers, set up,deleted the com file and reset my icons at least 4 times only to have them slowly disappear each time. Spent at least 18 hours on this only to google "bionic wont save apps to sd card" and found thread in moto forums. Sure is a disappointment for such a large investment. Don't know what to do?

Well it works for now that way, when I spoke with moto tier 3 tech thismorning they said I was the first to report the issue. I was like, its all over your own forums. Anyhows, verizon said its a known issue, moto said it isn't, at least this tech didn't. and said she would forward it to the engineers. I am sure a fix will be made soon.

TatDroid

Reaction score
There is no real work around except keep the apps on phone which severely limits the # of apps.

Are you serious? How many apps do you have on your phone? And how big are they? I've got 200+ on mine (including preinstalled ones) and so far I'm barely using 15% of the 4GB application storage area. And hey, it's not like that storage is available for any other purpose, so you might as well use it!

whiddles

Reaction score
Im losing apps as well.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will never fill the phone memory with applications.

And after the first update you can put them on the sd card.