Apples to androids!

msburr87

Reaction score
Let my start by saying yes, I was an iPhone fanboy. I initially had my service with verizon, but after drooling over the iPhone I made the switch to AT&T about a year ago. MISTAKE. Anyway this isn't about service, I wanted to discuss the phones. As now I am back with verizon, happier then ever.

EVERYONE in my family has iPhones, my mother, father, aunt, cat.. etc.. So when I told them I was getting the Droid X these were some of the responses I got;

"Why? the iPhone is so easy to use"
"Everything is integrated"
"It's so pretty, and it can do everything!"
"Meow"

Everything? Hardly.

But for the most part it was a good phone.*cough BORING cough*. If you are say, my parents, or believe in status, or just have no technical savvy at all. Owning the Droid X makes the iPhone seem like a toy my 2 year old nephew could figure out (and yes he pretty much has). I LOVE the fact that you can completely customize Android platforms, the phone is 100% you. iPhone I would say 15% at best? (You can change the WALLPAPER NOW!!! and make FOLDERS!! HOLLLLY MOLLLYYY!!!!) NOT. Yes, there is a learning curve to the droid x, but I enjoy spending that quality time with my expensive plastic, as well as knowing no matter how long I own it I can change it to make it something almost new completely. (coming from someone who has had a new phone every 6 months, this is a big milestone for me). Anyway,

Point of this ramble is simple. iPhone = Simplistic. Droid X (or any android) = revolutionary.

Sorry I doubted you Android and verizon. AT&T SUCKS

JCo352

Reaction score
It's okay we forgive you. You're in good hands now.

jkcerda

Reaction score
Lmao.

I would get an iphone over the droid IF they were on VZ :icon_eek:

why? well, just pointed out, so easy a 2 Y/O can figure it out.

all I care about is phone calls and the net, aside from that, I dont have the time many of you do to tailor the phone to my likes.

the GIFs on the Itouch/iphone are animated, not so much here.

I AM enjoying some of the features like google maps ETC, so, my response might change once I learn all teh bells & whistles on my droid :pdancedroid

dulaney22

Reaction score
I've been a big Apple proponent for a few years, but Android is amassing way more arms right now. A couple years ago, the iPhone was the smartphone to have. Now, it pales in comparison to the Droid X. I had AT&T for 10 years and have experienced the poor reception, dropped calls, etc. To be honest though, it wasn't too common (or annoying) until my area updated to the 3G towers, after which I dropped, in all seriousness, at least 3 of every 10 calls that lasted over 3 minutes, some conversations having multiple drops.

After the fiasco with preorders, I decided to look around, so I test drove an EVO and was amazed. However, Sprint has poor coverage in my area, so I waited on the Droid X and couldn't be happier. I'm truly amazed at how much better my coverage is now. Data rates are faster than what AT&T was providing and are way more consistent. Running speed tests, if you had a great connection with AT&T, I could get 1.6/7 Mbps downs, but the average in the area would have been a lot closer to .4 or so if you factored in locations and time. With Verizon, it doesn't matter what time it is or where I am in town, I'm gonna get speeds ranging from 1.4 to 1.9. I've run many tests on the X and the lowest was .995. As per voice, haven't had a dropped call yet and certain areas where coverage would become poor and almost lose reception are non-existent now. For instance, I can drive to work now and hold my wife on the phone the entire time. No static, drops or signal loss.

Phone to phone, the X wallops what the iPhone does. Now, I didn't say what the iPhone could do, I said what it does. The difference there, I think, is what separates these 2 phones. Swype was a huge selling point for me. It can be done on the iPhone, but isn't allowed. Widgets are a must for a smartphone. They could be on an iPhone, but aren't allowed. It's ridiculous to have to jailbreak a phone to get basic functionality, or to just download a file from the internet. This wouldn't be that big a deal a couple years ago, but now it's borderline absurd not to give them as options. Those are just a couple things that originally attracted me. I'm not even going to touch the customization options, as Apple is playing high school ball compared to the majors in that area.

All of that said, both are great phones, but Apple is getting lapped right now with functionality. Jobs need to get his head out of his butt and allow people to unlock the potential in their phones. Sure, you can keep it dumbed down and basic for those who want something fairly easy to operate, but for the rest of us the shackles either have to come off or we do what I did and buy a product that introduces more than folder capabilities in its big yearly update. Same thing applies to AT&T . . . they are capable of having the best resources, but, apparently, don't want to spend the money upgrading and adding towers to meet demand.

Nevertheless, I love my new X. I've customized 4 different home screens and am currently digging LProPlus. The speed and battery life of the phone is incredible. I couldn't be happier!

Seapup

Reaction score
It's okay we forgive you. You're in good hands now.

yeahthat.GIF

congrats.GIF
&
welcome_sign.GIF
to the dark side. :D

jst4fun

Reaction score
your right about good phone, I 4 is a pretty good phone except for the antenna & reception. The end result tho is if you don't have any service the best phone in the world is useless.
Glad I switched to Verizon and the X!

kevroc

Reaction score
I get how people love one phone and love to bash other phones...but really they both have their pros and cons. People ***** about having to j/b their iphone to do stuff, yet people ***** about not being able to root the X or load custom roms. Same difference. I looked for a screen capture app, yeah their available on the X, if you have root, which I don't. I'd love to get rid of some of the blur stuff, but I can't becuase the phone is locked. So much for Apple being restrictive and Android being this "do anything you want sandbox" right?? Everyone *****es about multi-tasking and then everyone *****es about multi-tasking killing performance and battery life. The #1 app for the X seems to be "Advanced Task Killer", great, now I have to manage all that cr#p?!?!

So again, I get everyone wanting to be fanboys, but really both are good phones and have the pro's and cons.

I'm hoping the X does it for me. I'd love to have better covereage, but really my lack of coverage affects me about 1% of the time whereas the entire "phone experience" affects me 100% of the time. When I dock my phone at night my iPhone has 60-70% battery left, my X so far has yet to make it until 5pm. The GPS on the X takes a lot longer to acquire which is a big deal to me because I like to geotag my photos. I pop open the camera app and have to sit there while it hones in on my position, usually takes about a minute. That's a long time to wait. The list (for both phones) goes on and on. At the end of the day it's about which one suits YOU better....

JCo352

Reaction score
I get how people love one phone and love to bash other phones...but really they both have their pros and cons. People ***** about having to j/b their iphone to do stuff, yet people ***** about not being able to root the X or load custom roms. Same difference. I looked for a screen capture app, yeah their available on the X, if you have root, which I don't. I'd love to get rid of some of the blur stuff, but I can't becuase the phone is locked. So much for Apple being restrictive and Android being this "do anything you want sandbox" right?? Everyone *****es about multi-tasking and then everyone *****es about multi-tasking killing performance and battery life. The #1 app for the X seems to be "Advanced Task Killer", great, now I have to manage all that cr#p?!?!

So again, I get everyone wanting to be fanboys, but really both are good phones and have the pro's and cons.

I'm hoping the X does it for me. I'd love to have better covereage, but really my lack of coverage affects me about 1% of the time whereas the entire "phone experience" affects me 100% of the time. When I dock my phone at night my iPhone has 60-70% battery left, my X so far has yet to make it until 5pm. The GPS on the X takes a lot longer to acquire which is a big deal to me because I like to geotag my photos. I pop open the camera app and have to sit there while it hones in on my position, usually takes about a minute. That's a long time to wait. The list (for both phones) goes on and on. At the end of the day it's about which one suits YOU better....

A non-rooted Android phone does more out-of-the-box, than a non-jailbroken iPhone. The locked bootloader on the Droid X has nothing to do with Android, that's Motorola's doing. You don't need Advanced Task Killer.

solution

Reaction score
Whenever someone tries to drag me into a android vs apple debate I reply "yeah, but can it teach me how to doughie?" Do a silly dance, walk away and leave them with a wtf just happened face. Lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kevroc

Reaction score

A non-rooted Android phone does more out-of-the-box, than a non-jailbroken iPhone. The locked bootloader on the Droid X has nothing to do with Android, that's Motorola's doing. You don't need Advanced Task Killer.

I understand that there is a lot of flexiblity with Android from a technical perspective, more so than what the iPhone offers. But the apps for iPhone give the iPhone way more usability in a lot of cases (for me). I have several apps that just don't exist on Android. For me (I keep saying for me since I understand it doesn't apply to everyone) these applications give the phone far more function then say being able to add some widgets to the screen. I actually wish I could combine the two :) Now that would be cool.

I just think it's funny how everyone compares android as open and iphone as a jail. Yet people here are waiting for "moto" approved updates and waiting for "moto" approved froyo and don't know if updates will come after that and it just really reminds me of the same thing I do with the iPhone. A lot of that is obviously Motorola driven versus android in general, but we are talking about the X here, so apples to apples and all...

kevroc

Reaction score
Whenever someone tries to drag me into a android vs apple debate I reply "yeah, but can it teach me how to doughie?" Do a silly dance, walk away and leave them with a wtf just happened face. Lol

I'm going to try that next time... :)

JCo352

Reaction score

What is doughie? You mean dougie? lol I'm jk

Seapup

Reaction score

As the OP affirmed... iPhone is easy to learn. Comparatively speaking, Android is not. From the sound of your X complaints, it seems like you need to do a little more reading.
shrug.GIF

BTW... here's a screenshot from my X...
devicegz.jpg