Apple Watch Shows Up in SELF Magazine

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
Look back to Sept, and now this add, there's more but I don't need to prove Apples worth in the Smart gadget arena, without their start and leaps forward in technology, Android wouldn't have been the awesome platform it is today.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Ha ha. I don't know about being da man. I was just a bit confused by the thread title considering it's been official for 5 months. We had a thread about it here on the site the day it was announced comparing it to Android Wear: Apple Watch vs Android Wear.

You even participated in the thread Jeffrey. ;)
This is the first time I have seen it out in the open. I agree with your post above that product do change from announcement to release date. According to the media, the release version is a far cry from what Apple announced. Seems they are having issues with the sensors and won't be as robust in that area.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Look back to Sept, and now this add, there's more but I don't need to prove Apples worth in the Smart gadget arena, without their start and leaps forward in technology, Android wouldn't have been the awesome platform it is today.

The watch itself from September and from this ad are essentially the same. It's the bands that are different. And in September, Apple said there would be different types of bands.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Yes, Tim Cook demonstrated/showed it off in September.

It doesn't matter as you have to own an iPhone to own the iWatch. It is not compatible with Android. (Stupid move in my mind.) I'll stick with my FitBit Surge. Does everything I want it to do.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
This is the first time I have seen it out in the open. I agree with your post above that product do change from announcement to release date. According to the media, the release version is a far cry from what Apple announced. Seems they are having issues with the sensors and won't be as robust in that area.

Actually, the original report is that what was announced in September was a far cry from what they originally wanted the watch to be during the early stages of development. Apple has reportedly spent years working on it, with the watch division sometimes being referred to as a "black hole" because it kept sucking down money. They couldn't get it all working properly due to issues with the sensors. Rather than keep delaying it, they went with something with sensors along the lines of a typical smartwatch.

Original report: What Exactly Is an Apple Watch For? (The Wall Street Journal)

Summary: Apple tested (and cut) more advanced fitness sensors from the Apple Watch (Ars Technica)

I've read some articles that misrepresent the information by saying things have changed drastically since the announcement, but that's not the case. The drastic changes came during the development phases.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Yes, Tim Cook demonstrated/showed it off in September.

It doesn't matter as you have to own an iPhone to own the iWatch. It is not compatible with Android. (Stupid move in my mind.) I'll stick with my FitBit Surge. Does everything I want it to do.

The same could be said of Android Wear watches. They're only compatible with Android devices running 4.3 on up.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I started to read this thread and every comment so far, but then I remembered...I don't really care about the apple watch.

I have no interest in it and I'm confident that the things it does well will be replicated and/or done better with Android Wear and by oems that make Android Wear products.

The things it doesn't do well won't be my problem. ;)

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I started to read this thread and every comment so far, but then I remembered...I don't really care about the apple watch.

I have no interest in it and I'm confident that the things it does well will be replicated and/or done better with Android Wear and by oems that make Android Wear products.

The things it doesn't do well won't be my problem. ;)

I'm not interested in owning one, but I am interested knowing about it. Apple does bring some interesting things to the table from time to time. Their innovation has been very stagnant over the past several years, but I'm always interested in knowing about what they're releasing.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It has also been reported that you may only get 2.5 hours from the battery when the watch face is displayed and Apps running in the background.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not interested in owning one, but I am interested knowing about it. Apple does bring some interesting things to the table from time to time. Their innovation has been very stagnant over the past several years, but I'm always interested in knowing about what they're releasing.
I know what you mean. I guess I could clarify. With android devices, there's a chance I might want to pick a new one up, so I eat up all of these leaks and rumors for those.

With idevices, I know I won't get one, but would still like to know a bit about it, but I can wait until the first review videos come out and get all the info I need to be able to discuss it with people who're interested in it and/or help strangers with it when they're having trouble in public. Haha

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It has also been reported that you may only get 2.5 hours from the battery when the watch face is displayed and Apps running in the background.
While I haven't seen times that low reported, I have read several reports that say Apple has had significant trouble with battery life. It is expected to be pretty poor.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA! That thing screams "Hey look at me, I'm a dork!" The 360, LG R, and the ASUS blow that thing away.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I almost wonder if those reports of poor battery life aren't fabricated. You know, make everyone believe it's going to leave something to be desired, then let reports trickle in after it's released that it's actually getting "decent" battery life...?

In any case, not having at least some sort of ambient screen where the time is always shown kinda defeats the purpose of calling it a watch in my opinion.