[APP] Could not be downloaded due to an error. (406) Can't download from market.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Also Bjorncs Apps

Scroll to bottom he has a link for a fix

----posted maxx'ed out----

Awesome that worked and that is the one I had. I emailed him to get a new key for the paid version. Still a little worrisome that he was kicked off by Google though :)

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Awesome that worked and that is the one I had. I emailed him to get a new key for the paid version. Still a little worrisome that he was kicked off by Google though :)

I see it on the market, so it wasn't pulled..
Glad it works

----posted maxx'ed out----

monkey_man

Reaction score
ahhh the problem is with your Market version. That new version fixed the market shortcut on app drawer but it messed up some download updates (sometimes it gone missing from the list, a warning pop up that it will take a few minutes to process your purchase warning or you will have the OP error pop up). My suggestion is to uninstall Market updates. This will bring back the market to 3.4.7, and you will see those missing updates that weren't there before. Install those updates while you are on 3.4.7 version, and you can only download update 1 app as your market will revert back to its newest version. Repeat this process until you've done all updates. I hope Google will fix this in their next market update release.

OP
S

Sandlotje

Reaction score
FIXED. The version of the App Market/Google Play was not the issue in my case. I determined that because when I did a factory reset on the phone, the App Market went back to the old version but it made no difference for me because I still could not download anything. This process worked for me -- I assume it will work for you, but don't hold me accountable. This will wipe everything in you phone, so back it up!! :)

After receiving my new phone and been without the market for about 5 days (I've only had the phone for less than two weeks, mind you...) I decided that I was going to try one last time to figure it out. What fixed it was restoring the phone firmware using the Droid RAZR utility (Option #1). Note: This is not the same as factory reset, this is more complete. I unrooted and uninstalled Safestrap prior to this whole process. In order to do restore the firmware it requires your phone to be in AP Fastboot Mode, and I did not know how to get there. So in order to get there,
  1. While the phone is on, press both volume keys as well as the power button at the same time. (Note: We will plug in the USB cable at the end. It USB debugging does not matter for this.)
  2. Once the phone is off, release the power button while still holding both volume keys. The menu will appear.
  3. Pay attention to this part: Use the volume down key to select AP Fastboot (Option 2), and use the volume up key to select it (not the power button).
  4. Plug in the USB cable and from the RAZR utility (on your computer) select option #1 (Restore Droid Razr....).
Now there is a little more that is needed of you, so I will list a few more steps:
  • When the utility begins running, you will see it do something and stop very suddenly. The screen on the phone will go off and come back on. When it comes back on, press enter. This will occur two (if I recall correctly) more times before the bulk of the software is installed.
  • You will see parts of it appearing as though it's repeating itself -- don't worry it is not stuck, its fine... just let it continue. (For example, it will say 'sending x' and something like 'installing x', and it will do that again for the same item. Webtop will go through that loop five times, so be patient with that one.) All in all it took me about 5 minutes for that process from when I turned off the phone holding the keys to rebooting it with everything reinstalled.
I hope this helps.

OP
S

Sandlotje

Reaction score
By the way, here's a little extra info for whatever it's worth... I rooted my phone (duh..) and decided to download Uninstaller Pro to get rid of some of the bloatware. Well my fat fingers must've hit the wrong app. My fingers were moving faster than my brain, so when I saw the app at the chopping block was not the one I wanted, it was too late. Sure enough I went back to the list of apps installed on the phone and the one I wanted to delete was still there. I have no clue what I deleted, but shortly after I noticed the screen was turning on and off randomly. I don't remember whether or not my issues with the app store started at the same time, but I'm guessing they're connected. The factory reset fixed the backlight coming on and off randomly, but not the market issue.
What was also really unfortunate was that I could not install ANY apps -- even when I emailed myself the apk files and downloaded them.

Moral of the story: Backup your stuff!! (and don't be hasty when uninstalling applications from your phone hehe...).