[AOSP ROM] BETA CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha Release

aldrichg9

Reaction score
I'm getting boot loops after I flash this.
I re-flashed and had no luck.
Being new to D3 ROM flashing I don't know what to do next.

Any ideas?

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
Before you flashed CM7, did you (first) backup your current rom? (second) Wipe data, cache.. AND format system?

aldrichg9

Reaction score
Thanks trentb for your quick reply.
I did format /system but did not wipe data and cache because the destructions didn't say to (i'm a direction follower)

I am d/l'ing the latest that came out last night and will try again

MerkXR4

Reaction score
This ROM is fantastic!!! Only complaint is that the camera doesn't work (yet) and unfortunately. That is the only thing stopping me from using this ROM regularly. Can we possibly expect the camera to work in the next release?

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
Possibly. Hashcode has announced he is working on
HOTSPOT
GSM
CAMERA/VIDEO

-Hashcode

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

MerkXR4

Reaction score
Sorry to be the obnoxious guy - and I intend in no way to rush the amazing work Hash has been doing - but can we expect a release each week or do they just come as they are ready? I just noticed that the past two releases came out on thursdays on the previous two weeks, so was thinking maybe Thurs we'll see a new one?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Sorry to be the obnoxious guy - and I intend in no way to rush the amazing work Hash has been doing - but can we expect a release each week or do they just come as they are ready? I just noticed that the past two releases came out on thursdays on the previous two weeks, so was thinking maybe Thurs we'll see a new one?

You're looking at it with a "business slant" and not a personal one :) Forget targeted schedules and possible release dates, etc...

Look at it this way...

Hashcode comes home from work and either works on the code or decides to relax and watch TV. Next day he comes home and works on the code, runs a compile and finds 3 or 4 things that broke from his code changes. He either reverts the code back or tries to fix the three other things.

In the meantime, cyanogenmod (team) has been working on the CM7 source tree and Hashcode sees some changes they did and pulls those in to his code....which causes a few things he's modified/fixed for the Droid 3 to break again....requiring him to find/fix the cause. Running another compile (could be 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the computer used) and then flashing it to a phone and testing.....

Repeat this every day for months.....with no pay, lots of hours spend in front of the computer, no other incentive to get it to work except his personal drive/motivation to do it and then in the end.....no donations from those using the ROM at any stage (alpha, beta, stable, etc..).

I would expect releases/updates whenever he gets something fixed and not before. No schedule of updates.....just whenever he's taken the time to fix another issue and running a compile off.

MerkXR4

Reaction score
That was a great write-up on the drive/motivation that developers like Hashcode have. I appreciate his work greatly and have just joined the Droid community within the past year. I had a few Droid 2 that inevitably had their own issues, and luckily through insurance got a D3 as a replacement. I'm amazed that Hashcode's ROM is out already on a unit that was released not even 5 months ago. He will be receiving a $20 donation from me once the camera is working for all his hard work toward what I consider the best ROM for the phone I currently own. If even half of the people that use the ROM were to do this, he would be getting the payback he fully DESERVES. Thanks for everything developers & community. Looking forward to the next release!

Tepes

Reaction score
None of my market apps would actually download. Is it better to bypass that and just do a TiBu restore of apps?
Thanks. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Both for my D3 and my Bionic. :)

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
That was a great write-up on the drive/motivation that developers like Hashcode have. I appreciate his work greatly and have just joined the Droid community within the past year. I had a few Droid 2 that inevitably had their own issues, and luckily through insurance got a D3 as a replacement. I'm amazed that Hashcode's ROM is out already on a unit that was released not even 5 months ago. He will be receiving a $20 donation from me once the camera is working for all his hard work toward what I consider the best ROM for the phone I currently own. If even half of the people that use the ROM were to do this, he would be getting the payback he fully DESERVES. Thanks for everything developers & community. Looking forward to the next release!

I agree. He has done amazing things for the D3 already. One of the reasons why I chose to go Cm7 regardless of the little bugs, it's the best ROM. I currently have no issues with this besides camera, which is what he is currently working on. He appreciates it!

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
None of my market apps would actually download. Is it better to bypass that and just do a TiBu restore of apps?
Thanks. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes. Both for my D3 and my Bionic. :)

Yes you can do a restore with TiBu. It's recommended to not restore data as that can cause some issues and what not.

OP
ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB

Reaction score
From Hashcode:
If you want to play with the current camera system, try this from adb while the screen is unlocked:

camera_test f

That will bring up a menu of test commands. Entering "1" will bring up the camera preview. Obviously there are a couple of issues, like color mode, and size not being set correctly. Video doesn't work at all.