Anyway to use Droid as an analog modem?

mntbikejack

Reaction score
This is NOT tethering and PDAnet will not help!!

I have had a Motorola Timeport, V60c, V60m, V3c, V3m, & V9m. All of them were able to be used as an analog modem for dialing into remote modems for out-of-band console access to network equipment as well as sending / receiving faxes.

Anyone know if this function is can be enabled with the Droid?

pparcell

Reaction score
I am looking for the same thing

I am trying to find a way to do the same thing. I would like to be able to use the droid to dial into network terminal servers via their attached modems.

reykja

Reaction score
There is a way to do it. I found this site when I had the LG Dare. If you have the family plan, you can add the phone number they list to dial in as one of your favs. So check this site out for details. It is a little slow but works.

SoCal Free Net -- Free Nationwide ISP

I hope this helps you out....

pparcell

Reaction score
Note, we do not need internet access

Thanks for the reply; however, we are not looking for a way to connect to the internet. We are looking for a way to connect to a modem over the wireless network. i.e. the terminal server we are connecting to is fronted by a modem. You can dial into this modem to gain access to the terminal server and subsequently any device connected to it. It is likely not possible considering that the modem is speaking an entirely different lingo than the wireless carriers, but maybe some 1337 h@x0r out there figured it out.

Telstar_2112

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution for this? I need to do the same thing, dial into a computer fronted by a modem, neither machine with capability of being on the internet.

OP
M

mntbikejack

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution for this?

No solution yet. I still carry a V9M and a laptop for analog out of band access to network equipment.

It would be perfect if the Droid could do it as it would eliminate the need for two devices I need to lug around.

I think the smartphone world has ignored the need for direct dial modem access.

Telstar_2112

Reaction score
Damn, I really need to get this working and I certainly do not want to have to have another cell phone just for this purpose.

Does it have anything to do with the phones being only digital? I know when I did this in the past I had dual or tri-mode phones.

Or is there any internet website that would allow you to dial out like a virtual modem? The one I found required the other machine also be on the internet which I cannot have. I assume it gets difficult since an actual phone line and call charges would need to be involved.

TIA,
Telstar.