Anyone else....

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get really really really tired of the people who help the people who cant make tethering work so they can abuse it with their XBox, PS3, Wii, or other Hulu/YouTube watching device?

These are the people who are going to ruin it for all of us, and that is exactly why I do not help these people with their problems.

Rant over. Sorry guys -- I had to get it out.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why does them tethering a lot matter to us? If verizon finds out thats their issue and not anyone else's... right?

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why does them tethering a lot matter to us? If verizon finds out thats their issue and not anyone else's... right?

I would say wrong. Verizon can choose to do any number of things to all of us, if they wanted to.

In the long term, they could lock down their phones to prevent tethering all together. Hello, Motorola Backflip or Milestone....

In the short term, they could easily determine who's tethering, and slam all of us, no matter how small the data amount, with extra fees. Yes, this is unlikely, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, especially if Verizon feels that too many people are abusing their network.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I know we all post in the wrong forum from time to time, but why wasn't this posted in the General Discussion? I'll keep it here if the OP wants, but if you ask me this could have gone in the General discussion.

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I know we all post in the wrong forum from time to time, but why wasn't this posted in the General Discussion? I'll keep it here if the OP wants, but if you ask me this could have gone in the General discussion.

By all means, please move it. I sort of saw it originally as more of a rant, and less of a true discussion, and I didnt want to run the risk of you asking me why it wasnt posted in the "Off Topic" section :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, it could go in hacks to for that matter. Maybe it's best just to leave it here.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I'm not into abusing tethering, although I'm sure I'll use it some this month when the wife and I go to Dallas for a week. The hotel were staying at charges for wifi access (can you believe it? :) )

OP
LtKen

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not into abusing tethering, although I'm sure I'll use it some this month when the wife and I go to Dallas for a week. The hotel were staying at charges for wifi access (can you believe it? :) )

And that's what it should be for. I'm talking about the torrent downloaders, console gamers, and Hulu watchers.

V

verian

I agree 101% when verizon get pissed enough cause of the dumb abuse like gaming they will have no choice but to tighten the screws on everyone. You can't punish one when many are doing it. That won't hold up. If they bust one kid playing xbox he will then in defense say "but everyone is doing it and I learned it at Droid Forums I thought it was ok to do" and then its over. To believe they don't know is would be stupid as soon as you do something over their network that your phone can't do they know. So stop playing farmville till flash is out you jerks.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I'm a person of a group mentality and we work together to make a better world, etc, etc, but not everyone has that mentality.

If we work together we could make a lot of things happen, but we have plenty of folks who want to abuse these things for their own advantage, which I can't begrudge them, it's really their choice and it's really not their concern how it effects anyone else; especially when every one of us is breaking our ToS to do it.

Do I like that answer? Not at all, but I'm looking at the bigger picture beyond just bandwidth hogs. Either way it sucks.

I don't see Verizon being able to shut down tethering, at the very least they would offer a tethering package you have to pay for, hit high usage with an overage and go on their way. They DO NOT want to lose the backing from Google with this deal. I mean, if Google is willing to remove themselves from parts of a country, why wouldn't they pull out from one cell phone company.

I think Verizon is trying to figure out how this 'free' tethering is really impacting their servers and bandwidth to come up with a compromise in future devices. Isn't the Palm Pre able to hot spot? (I think it's that phone, haven't looked at this stuff in a bit)

I think we are their live testers at this point, but that's just my opinion not fact.

DrScrubs

Reaction score
Verizon already has a solution coming down the pipe. Instead of unlimited data plans we are on, data will be tiered and charge by usage. Essentially how we pay for minutes, with overage and everything. There will probably be an unlimited data still but the price on it will be higher than the current $30.

Both At&t and Verizon will be doing this once 4G starts rolling through. (LTE specifically for Verizon.)

Sent Using Tapatalk

itzkr0me

Reaction score
I'd love to see the backup for the statement above.

However, this is directly listed on their ToS:

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

Will it happen from the 50-60 people who tether from this forum on their PS3? I doubt it. Will it happen when 10% of their network does this? Yes. Until a "service interrupting" threshold is met, I think we're ok.

With android, they can't tell what you're using the data plan for, only that you are using it.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
i was under the assumption that we were alowed to tether when i was doing it cause the two palm phone they have with the wifi hotspot

and for all the people using it for console gaming i dont understand how that runs very well

please dont bash me for this but when i was waiting for my internet to be turned on from moving and such i used my droid and downloaded a couple torrents and max speed i got was 200 kilobytes a seconds how can that be used for a good gaming experience??

itzkr0me

Reaction score
i was under the assumption that we were alowed to tether when i was doing it cause the two palm phone they have with the wifi hotspot

and for all the people using it for console gaming i dont understand how that runs very well

please dont bash me for this but when i was waiting for my internet to be turned on from moving and such i used my droid and downloaded a couple torrents and max speed i got was 200 kilobytes a seconds how can that be used for a good gaming experience??

Simply put... it can't.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score

Simply put... it can't.

so then why do people do it lol