Anybody else buy the full version of NFS: Shift?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, after figuring out how to get the NFS: Shift demo to install on my sdcard (pm setInstallLocation 2 at terminal prompt) I decided that it was a worthwhile game to keep on my phone (best racer period on Android, IMHO) - SO, I bit the bullet and bought the full version from within the demo. So far, so good (got thru the first 2 races in career mode)

I am going to give my initial impressions of the game, but first a bit of background on my device config:

Motorola DROID A855
P3Droid-provided leak of FRF84B w/1.0GHz LV kernel
Enabled app2sd via terminal for install of NFS only

Anyways, impressions:

- the demo IS the full version, it's just locked. So the APK is smaller than the IPA for the iOS version - I would assume that this is mostly due to the fact that Android games don't tend to include the unnecessary video clips that the iOS games do. In other words, the 100MB APK is the entire game.

- no credit card info required, so I assume it is billing my VZW account much like "Get It Now" used to on my feature phones.

- graphics (as expected) are quite a bit better than they are on iOS (at least on my iPod Touch 2G) - makes sense since this was coded for the Droid X's GPU and screen res.

- purchasing was seemless, took ~2 minutes. Clicked on the full version link, it connected to the server, confirmed I wanted to buy it, and went back to the main menu unlocked. No restart required.

- the purchasing process added a couple of files and folders to my sdcard, the downloaded file was very small, likely an encrypted license key.

- now, I am assuming that as long as this file is present on the sdcard, and the game is installed, that it is available as a full version and not a demo. Hopefully I am right. However, I have not tested this. After I get a chance to make a backup and load a fresh ROM; I will test this theory. In the end, when a market downloadable version becomes available; I may repurchase it; though - for ease of updating and peace of mind. I simply wanted to play this game, and I wanted to play it TODAY (had some downtime while doing a server upgrade at work) - so I pulled the trigger.

Once I figure out how easy it is to get the full version and license reinstalled after a wipe, I will report back.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh wow, didn't even know this was an option, to buy the full version. thanks for sharing! and give us more updates please :)

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you install the version that's been floating around the forum, and play it once; a screen pops up asking if you want to exit the app, or buy the full version. There is also a big full version link on the main menu screen. As soon as it goes through (it says "connecting" for awhile) a prompt will come up asking if you're sure you want to buy it for $9.99 - after another minute or so "connecting" the game will now be unlocked.

It's huge at 100MB, but installed to the sdcard it's manageable. $9.99 might seem steep, but it's well worth it IMHO, as we're talking better-than-PSP quality. And Shift for PSP is a $30-$40 game.

I will do further testing when I can put the damn game down long enough to do a backup and restore.

Xegesis

Reaction score
I also bought it and verified by logging on to my Verizon acct that they will bill me. What's weird when clicking Need for speed on my usages it brings up other things named need for speed for like 2.99. It doesn't look like Verizon is ready to properly bill this. My cycle is on the 13th so I'm interested if I get charged the 9.99, 2.99 or anything at all.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Odd, I can't figure out how to find it in my usages........ I can get my voice usage, my messaging usage, and my data usage. Nothing about "Need for Speed".

Xegesis

Reaction score
It's under the 'My Media' tab which is next to the 'Wireless' tab. It took me awhile to find it.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm weird, I found it.... BUT it lists me as having purchased it twice. Once yesterday, and once back on the 3rd. I did click on the full version button back on the 3rd, but it never made it past the connecting phase. I hope I don't get charged for this one twice, as I have no idea how to convince them to get rid of a charge for a game that I technically shouldn't have.....

jtallen123

Reaction score
I'm tempted to purchase this as well after trying out the demo. It plays and looks really good on my stock 2.1 droid, just had to use ADB to get it installed though. I think I might wait and for 2.2 and hopefully some Apps2SD support for stock droids first. I got room, but I'm not in a hurry just yet.

azazin

Reaction score
I can't buy this on my Samsung Galaxy S, everytime I click on the buy option after a race it just goes back to the homescreen :l

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't buy this on my Samsung Galaxy S, everytime I click on the buy option after a race it just goes back to the homescreen :l

Hmmmmm did you try the link on the main menu? It SHOULD go to a black screen with a spinning circle which says something to the effect of "connecting" and after a few moments, prompt you to purchase it. I wish I had some advice but I don't know a whole lot about the Galaxy S.

gertman

Reaction score
Hey can anybody post or PM a working link to download the demo file?

Thanks in advance!

azazin

Reaction score

Hmmmmm did you try the link on the main menu? It SHOULD go to a black screen with a spinning circle which says something to the effect of "connecting" and after a few moments, prompt you to purchase it. I wish I had some advice but I don't know a whole lot about the Galaxy S.

Nope, doesn't work. Goes back to homescreen. Might be because I live in the UK and I am not on the Verizon network.

Oh well, gotta wait for it to come out in the Market.

OP
D

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^ I think you might be right, since this app in its current form is billed via the carrier network. Being that it's Verizon specific for the moment, it's likely that only Verizon has the infrastructure in place to sell it.

gertman

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I got it and succesfully installed!!! It IS awsome!!! dancedroid