Any recommendations for a Facebook app?

Reaction score
The official app really, really sucks. It is far too limited and I find myself constantly going into Dolphin HD to do what I want on facebook.

Are there any good free or paid apps for facebook that are NOT the official release? I've searched here, I've Googled, I even checked AppBrain but everything comes back to either nothing related or to the official app.

I need something better.

InfamousDX

Reaction score
I've actually just stopped checking fb... stops me from wasting time!

But really, bloo is very good.

OP
Section Twelve
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions on Bloo, folks... but it's not really working out well so far.

• It tells me I am not a friend of myself and I cannot view my own profile.
  • It asked for Inbox permission, but keeps telling me that I need permission even after I allowed it.
  • It seems to delete the feeds each time it is closed and then downloads them all over again when re-launched. This makes it very slow so far.
  • Out of all of my friends in the friends list, I can view the profiles of exactly TWO of them.
Not sure if this is just a network problem (FB is working fine from the PC) or the norm for Bloo, but this is almost as bad as the official app. I do like Bloo's layout, however.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate any of those problems? Would very much appreciate it.

LuciferRex

Reaction score
I agree....the official app is terrible. That is one of the only (one of very few) things I miss about my Storm. Hope they fix this soon.

mygsdsni

Reaction score
My facebook widget that came with the phone plain old stopped working today. Is that normal? Only have the phone one week.

deek

Reaction score
I have a Facebook App. Different from the Social Network App.
This one does basically what I need, send/receive messages, view news feeds, view pictures/profiles/etc.

The only thing that it really lacks in my opinion is the face book chat option.
There are other apps out there for that, but take a little bit more setting up which I have not gotten into yet.

OP
Section Twelve
Reaction score
I have a Facebook App. Different from the Social Network App.
This one does basically what I need, send/receive messages, view news feeds, view pictures/profiles/etc.

The only thing that it really lacks in my opinion is the face book chat option.
There are other apps out there for that, but take a little bit more setting up which I have not gotten into yet.

Which app would that be?

bigdog9586

Reaction score
I downloaded Bloo and thought it sucks plus I can't pin it on it but when I clicked on my Messaging icon all my email accounts were gone except Gmail. So I dumped Bloo and put them all back but my Gmail account won't show up as an account with the rest of my email accounts. I can access it with the Gmail icon but anyone know how to get the icon back in the messaging. It shows I have it but just don't show the icon.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
So, this might not be the exact answer your looking for but I don't use any facebook app at all, and that has been my best facebook experience with my droids..
Unlike the previous poster who said he doesn't use facebook at all, I still use aspects of facebook, just not a centralized app like fb official or bloo. For me I'm mostly interested in updating my status, reading status updates of others, and working with pics. So basically I use a combination of tweetdeck (for status updates and viewing posted pics), and pixelpipe for updating my photos. For rare tasks other than these I use touch.facebook.com.
Again, this is a specific use case, and might not be what you're looking for, but it works perfect for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

donballz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions on Bloo, folks... but it's not really working out well so far.

• It tells me I am not a friend of myself and I cannot view my own profile.
  • It asked for Inbox permission, but keeps telling me that I need permission even after I allowed it.
  • It seems to delete the feeds each time it is closed and then downloads them all over again when re-launched. This makes it very slow so far.
  • Out of all of my friends in the friends list, I can view the profiles of exactly TWO of them.
Not sure if this is just a network problem (FB is working fine from the PC) or the norm for Bloo, but this is almost as bad as the official app. I do like Bloo's layout, however.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate any of those problems? Would very much appreciate it.

The version of the app on the market is 1.4.4. A diligent Google monkey can find version 1.5 which solves all these issues. It also has facebook chat, but its a little buggy. It's the best fb app. Not sure why version 1.5 isn't on the market.

Incidentally, I still keep the stock fb app on the off chance they update it and its awesome.

mygsdsni

Reaction score
Actually it appears to only be posting photo upload message? Weird!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use bloo 1.5 for notifications and occasionally chat, the stock facebook app for viewing the feed and handling messages, and the dx's social status widget for updating my status and for syncing contacts.

Your issues with bloo are common for some users. Sometimes, when you first authorize bloo to access your facebook, it takes facebook's servers a while to recognize that those permissions are enabled. In every case I've seen so far, giving it a couple/few days usually clears the problem up.

As for the chat feature of bloo, I worked directly with the dev to test it before he allowed me to leak the final test build (1.5). If you go to the facebook group called Save bloo! and head to the discussions, you can grab that version. Yes, chat is still a bit buggy, but it was his first attempt and you honestly wouldn't believe how long my first writeup on bugs/issues was. He fixed ALL of my major complaints, but I'm not REAL big on facebook chat anyway. I really use bloo for notifications, because it actually alerts me in the status bar when someone likes, comments, etc any post I'm a part of, then takes me to the simple app screen with that post which, in my opinion, loads a hell of a lot faster than the browser through the official app. The reason it takes so long to load the feed is because it's always making sure you have the most current posts available, unlike the official app which often reglquires a refresh for the latest updates.

It'd be nice to have ONE app that did it all, and the official app is getting closer, but no one has done it yet.

I discovered bloo shortly after buying my d1 in November 09 and the official app wouldn't load ANYHING thanks to facebook's ever-changing api, but have since decided to use the built-in features of the dx and the feed of the official app.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it. Feel free to ask me any questions about my particular usage that might help you better decide what's good for you. I'm accused of always being on facebook thanks to my Droid and now my X.

Emitted from X.