Facebook Notifications (not contact sync issue)

danjswartz

Reaction score
I apologize if this is posted already but I searched and did not see anything.
FYI I searched for Facebook Notifications, "Facebook Notifications" "Facebook" AND "Notifications" Nothing. Maybe I just don't know how to search. I don't know.

Anyway here is my issue
My contacts, pictures etc are syncing fine on the Droid X. My problem is the notifications. When there is a post to my wall, an event, friend request, or any other Facebook notification I don't get them. My Droid Status bar NEVER updates, and I NEVER get a ringtone, vibrate etc.

I can look on line (via my computer), see I have notifications, and fire up the app on the Droid and "then" it shows that there are notifications. But only the notification bar at the bottom of the App. Never the status bar.

I have Facebook set up for 30 minute sync. Messages, Friend Requests, Event Invites, Vibrate, Phone LED, and Notification Ringtone are all set.

Last night I removed Facebook from my Social app, (unlinked FB account) cleared all cache data from the Facebook app (manage applications) rebooted, removed battery and rebooted a second time. Added the account back into the social app, contacts came across fine, re set up the FB app, and still nada.

I know that the FB app in general is garbage but I am not getting anything. My wife has the Incredible and at least she gets notifications.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

the5barrons

Reaction score
Have you checked

settings
> Data manager > Data Delivery > Social Applications Sync over WiFi only...is it checked? Also, the Data tabs before that...Background, Roaming and Enabled...mine just happen to be all check on and I get notifications for FB before they even show up on my PC. Same with email (yahoo) shows up on my phone before it shows up on the PC.

That's about the only thing I can think of....

Good luck.

***also, there is a notifications tab on the FB app itself. Just open FB app, (sub menu) left button click, Settings...

OP
D

danjswartz

Reaction score
Thanks for asking but..

Sync over WiFi NOT checked.
Background Data - Checked
Data Roaming - Checked
Data Enabled - Checked
All notification Settings in FB are set to on

the5barrons

Reaction score
Thanks for asking but..

Sync over WiFi NOT checked.
Background Data - Checked
Data Roaming - Checked
Data Enabled - Checked
All notification Settings in FB are set to on

I have the same problem too.

Welp, not sure if there is anything left. I have the perpetual opposite problem with the contact pics never updating, but I'm not wiping everything out and starting over just to fix that. Not getting notifications though is something I'd be interested in fixing.

Sorry I couldn't get you the potion for fixing it. Out of ideas...

OP
D

danjswartz

Reaction score
Thanks for the look. :)
Maybe someone else?

I don't want to wipe out everything for this issue.

OP
D

danjswartz

Reaction score
I downloaded the FB app from the Market. Don't use the blur app at all.

As a side note, I did a complete wipe and started over. I did not reload my apps from the Market and it still will not give me notices.

XZLR8

Reaction score
I have the same problem, danjswartz. I just bought my DroidX yesterday (my first Droid after years of BlackBerries), so I thought I was doing something wrong.

crigoni

Reaction score
Droid 2

I have the same problem with my Droid 2. I found this while using Google to find the fix. Disappointed so far with the search. I will repost if I find anything.

Reaction score
I too have the same problem with FB. The only time I get a notification from FB is if someone happens to send me an actual message via FB. Wall posts etc. I get nothing.

OP
D

danjswartz

Reaction score
Just as an FYI to my previous posts.2 updates now to FB and still have the SAME issue. I think it is a Motorola issue and not a FB issue. Even tho the FB app STINKS beyond belief. IMHO.

Turbod

Reaction score
I just got my X a few hours ago. I havent dug into this, but im assuming there is no push messaging like blackberries had, so maybe you need to log into account and turn your messaging notifications back on so it uses your email?

str0ntium

Reaction score
I just got my X a few hours ago. I havent dug into this, but im assuming there is no push messaging like blackberries had, so maybe you need to log into account and turn your messaging notifications back on so it uses your email?

+1 to the email notifications. Use a gmail address and the gmail app. Not perfect, but works.

Don't think this is a phone issue, however. Push is dependent on servers. I think it's already well-known that notifications are broken for the android OS.

Taegost

Reaction score
I've had the exact same issue on both my Droid 1 and Droid 2, and my coworker has the same problem with his Samsung Intercept. It's not just the app, the issues started when Facebook changed their notifications structure around. Up until then, I used Bloo for notifications and always got them within 2 minutes, since the change, I've tried Bloo, Tweetdeck, the stock app, and damn near everything under the sun, none of them work consistently.
I've also noticed that the touch.facebook.com web site doesn't always show them as well. I also have certain people tagged to alert me by SMS when they post, or when I get a private message, and sometimes those won't get sent at all, or sometimes will come through 2-5 times.