Another sad day for us X users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldblue

Reaction score
Coming from a D1, I miss the ability to just slap any rom together and test it out on my original Droid.

Today, the lowly Droid Eris had its first 2.3 rom cooked up and most of the functions are already working. The Eris had problems running 2.1 and its running 2.3 smoothly, without many issues.

Imagine if Motorola hadn't messed with a good thing and didn't lock the X and D2 bootloader. We would be putting together one of the best AOSP roms in Android history (until 2.4 comes out). I am a little depressed. I might start saving up for a 4G Incredible HD, if it's not locked down.

Blue out.

illmatic636

Reaction score
LMAO man, They announced your device is getting 2.3 today! Not getting it" today", but at least your getting it.

OP
O

oldblue

Reaction score
LMAO man, They announced your device is getting 2.3 today! Not getting it" today", but at least your getting it.

Bootloader man. the bootloader. Many of us want complete control as to what is installed onto our open source phone.

Reaction score
Coming from a D1, I miss the ability to just slap any rom together and test it out on my original Droid.

Today, the lowly Droid Eris had its first 2.3 rom cooked up and most of the functions are already working. The Eris had problems running 2.1 and its running 2.3 smoothly, without many issues.

Imagine if Motorola hadn't messed with a good thing and didn't lock the X and D2 bootloader. We would be putting together one of the best AOSP roms in Android history (until 2.4 comes out). I am a little depressed. I might start saving up for a 4G Incredible HD, if it's not locked down.

Blue out.

2.3 as in in gingerbread? on the eris? where?

cpjr

Reaction score
I think its funny how people complain about a locked bootloader when most of them probably dont even know what it means. Just raise a stink because someone else has.

I can do everything with my X I could do with my D1 if not more.

Reaction score
I think its funny how people complain about a locked bootloader when most of them probably dont even know what it means. Just raise a stink because someone else has.

I have asked many times why we still need the bootloader cracked.
All the answers I have gotten can really be summed up as an idealistic view of AOSP. They want the gate open just cuz its locked even though the fence is only 2 feet high and they can just step over it.

I would imagine the reason someone hasn't cracked it yet is simple that bootstrapping works well enough?

OP
O

oldblue

Reaction score

Ok then go ahead and install a MIUI rom. Tell me how it works. How about build a sense rom? No? Can't do it? Why's that? Oh that's right, a locked bootloader. Don't tell me my business again. For a master droid, you don't seem to know too much.

and what more can you do on your DX than you could on your D1? Watch videos on a larger screen? Overclock? I had my D1 overclocked higher than what I do on my X.

Last edited:

cpjr

Reaction score

I have asked many times why we still need the bootloader cracked.
All the answers I have gotten can really be summed up as an idealistic view of AOSP. They want the gate open just cuz its locked even though the fence is only 2 feet high and they can just step over it.

I would imagine the reason someone hasn't cracked it yet is simple that bootstrapping works well enough?

Agreed. "I cant have it....so I want it"

cpjr

Reaction score

Ok then go ahead and install a MIUI rom. Tell me how it works. How about build a sense rom? No? Can't do it? Why's that? Oh that's right, a locked bootloader. Don't tell me my business again. For a master droid, you don't seem to know too much.

Dont care about a MIUI ROM, Sense sucks, thought you bought an android phone for android? Thats what I want, vanilla android without the BS crap.

And that I have...on my X.

PS- Must have hit a sensitive spot there little guy.....calm down nobody's taking your teddy.

Reaction score

and what more can you do on your DX than you could on your D1? Watch videos on a larger screen? Overclock? I had my D1 overclocked higher than what I do on my X.

I can overclock my DX, how does a locked bootloader affect how much you can over clock it? Serious question, i'm not trying to a smartass.

cpjr

Reaction score
PPS- I have my X overclocked to 1.45ghz, not that it matters, but lets see that out of your D1. I also have a better screen, more RAM, better processor, better camera, HD recording....I could keep going.

The D1 is a great phone, a legend in its own right.....but give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
OP
O

oldblue

Reaction score

I can overclock my DX, how does a locked bootloader affect how much you can over clock it? Serious question, i'm not trying to a smartass.

Not being able to install a custom kernel restricts overclocking capabilities. The D1 could overclock to more than twice its stock clock speed. Try that on your DX. Don't come on a thread I created and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, and that I'm only talking about this because it has been brought up before. That's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.