Question about Droid X bootloader "Lock"

joezek

Reaction score
I've read a few different articles and haven't quite figured out what's going on with the Droid X. There's been recent talk about Motorola locking or maybe unlocking the bootloader? Motorola said they have their own "business reasons for keeping the X locked" even though the original droid wasn't locked....

What I really don't understand is how does this affect me? I'm currently using the Darkslide ROM and haven't had any problems. Is there some sort of new lock coming out? Or is there some part of the phone that's still unprogrammable because it's locked?

jsw6380a

Reaction score
The ROM's that you are seeing on the droid-x are glorified themes so to speak. However, devs have came a long way with the X and these ROM's are pretty neat.

Now the bootloader is locked. This means that it will not allow you to customize the kernel giving you full "tweakabililty" of the phone so to speak.

Th original droids bootloader was unlocked and allowed for custom "kernelezation" so to speak. This would be a "Full" "ROM."

Hope that makes sense..

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
Ok I get it now. So the mods done to the phone with the current ROM's aren't really at the core of the phone's operating system. There's a lot more that can be changed if someone figures out how to unlock it first.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Thanks to Koush for the ability that we do have. Without Bootstrapper we wouldn't be doing anything more than choosing which launcher we ran.

I am very thankful we are able to do what we can. However I got used to my D1 and I am not happy with Motorola. I will enjoy my X while I have it, but this will probably be my last Motorola phone.

HTC and Samsung don't lock their bootloaders so they deserve a serious look for my next phone.

Google even made a statement that we should have access to our phones if we choose.

While the percentage of people that want to flash software on their phones may be small. But we are the most vocal about our happiness with the phone and talked MANY of our friends and family into buying these phones. I personally have sold 9 Motorola phones which may not be much... but each of them are fully aware of my new displeasure. Soon enough my small circle of influence will be hearing about my new unlocked phone. I manage the software that is on half of their phones.

OP
joezek

joezek

Reaction score
I don't know why they wouldn't release unlocking information once the phone's warranty runs out. Once there's no risk of customers returning under warranty then why not right?

I'm like my DX mainly because the screen is so big, and also the HDMI output's pretty cool too. My wife has an iPhone 4 and I can't stand it having such a small screen.

So if or when they ever unlock the phone, what mods can potentially be made?

MrKleen

Reaction score
I don't know why they wouldn't release unlocking information once the phone's warranty runs out. Once there's no risk of customers returning under warranty then why not right?

I'm like my DX mainly because the screen is so big, and also the HDMI output's pretty cool too. My wife has an iPhone 4 and I can't stand it having such a small screen.

So if or when they ever unlock the phone, what mods can potentially be made?

Then developers could make custom kernels.

Many people would be happy with what can already be done with the phone.