Return droid x?

kingsway8605

Reaction score
I just bought a droid x and found out about the locked bootloader. I am assuming this means that if motorola doesn't want to update too the newest version of android then we don't get it. Is this true? And if it is true, should I return the and what should I get in its place?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well if you want to have full custimiztion then the original droid will be what you're looking for.

tappin and a talkin

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the only thing keeping me from getting one right now. My buddy got one & I'm jealous of the screen. What is the official purpose of a bootloader BTW?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The official purpose of the bootloader being locked down is so that we can't fully customize the phone because moto and Verizon have invested a lot of money in th way they have the phone set up. Every phone needs a bootloader but they don't need to be locked down.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We know WHY they're locked down now though.... *sigh*

The official purpose of the bootloader being locked down is so that we can't fully customize the phone because moto and Verizon have invested a lot of money in th way they have the phone set up. Every phone needs a bootloader but they don't need to be locked down.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It was interesting news though today when one of the guys at android (don't remember who, its late) wrote an article about how manufacturers should stop making users choose between security and customization. Basically that we shouldn't have to go to great lengths to flash custom system versions to our phones. Essentially asking more manufacturers to unlock their phones if I understand correctly.

tappin and a talkin

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK so it being locked is only to prevent modification/pimping? I don't understand why they would care.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK so it being locked is only to prevent modification/pimping? I don't understand why they would care.

Pretty much. The whole open source thing, while good for google who provides all the software, isn't all that great for the manufacturers. Like I said, they have an agenda to push and money to make and apparently the cash we shell out for our phones just isn't enough. Iirc moto said that they basically made the og droid to comply with the open source nature of android but they don't have plans to make any more open and unlocked phones in the future.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ya, Google is all for it...as long as its from source. Found this out looking through the legal information in settings. They just don't have the...guts to speak up usually. Being "locked down" is pretty much defeating the purpose of Android and putting us more in the same category as the iPhone.
From a manufacturer's stand point, I COMPLETELY understand! I'd be sick of replacing "bricked" or otherwise screwed up devices that were user error too! Its pretty childish to not take responsibility for your own actions, demanding that Verizon or Motorola replace a device that the CUSTOMER messed up, you know?

It was interesting news though today when one of the guys at android (don't remember who, its late) wrote an article about how manufacturers should stop making users choose between security and customization. Basically that we shouldn't have to go to great lengths to flash custom system versions to our phones. Essentially asking more manufacturers to unlock their phones if I understand correctly.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I remember reading Motorola was going to stick with locked bootloaders... that sucks. Do any manufacturers do unlocked anymore? Is this something that's crackable? Like DVD/BD-R encoding?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually yes some do. I'm like 99% sure the new nexus s Is unlocked and I think there may be 1 or 2 htc phones still in their life cycle that are unlocked. Maybe g2? I don't remember.

tappin and a talkin

luigi90210

Reaction score
Ya, Google is all for it...as long as its from source. Found this out looking through the legal information in settings. They just don't have the...guts to speak up usually. Being "locked down" is pretty much defeating the purpose of Android and putting us more in the same category as the iPhone.
From a manufacturer's stand point, I COMPLETELY understand! I'd be sick of replacing "bricked" or otherwise screwed up devices that were user error too! Its pretty childish to not take responsibility for your own actions, demanding that Verizon or Motorola replace a device that the CUSTOMER messed up, you know?

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!
i agree with you on that one
if someone bricks their phone they should have to pay for the insurance deductible or buy a whole new phone and just learn from their mistakes but most users dont do that :(
that is the main reason why i think moto and other manufactures are locking down their phones so user errors wont be generated as often

luigi90210

Reaction score
Actually yes some do. I'm like 99% sure the new nexus s Is unlocked and I think there may be 1 or 2 htc phones still in their life cycle that are unlocked. Maybe g2? I don't remember.

tappin and a talkin
the new nexus should be unlocked and i believe most if not all of the samsung phones are unlocked and i know the evo and inc are technically unlocked even though they have a nand lock(which is easy to remove)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really wish that was the case, but I don't think its all about protecting us from ourselves as it were. Or even really about protecting themselves from the loss of replacing bricked phones although that is a factor. When you think about it probably less than 1% of android users root and flash roms so that isn't an overwhelming issue. I think they are mostly protecting the work they put in to the system.

tappin and a talkin

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Arg! All I want is a 4 inch (no bigger no smaller), metal, droid (preferably Motorola), unlocked!... That sounds gross when read in retrospect.
They can have my 500-600 $ when they feel like it cause I really want to upgrade.