Return droid x?

luigi90210

Reaction score
I really wish that was the case, but I don't think its all about protecting us from ourselves as it were. Or even really about protecting themselves from the loss of replacing bricked phones although that is a factor. When you think about it probably less than 1% of android users root and flash roms so that isn't an overwhelming issue. I think they are mostly protecting the work they put in to the system.

tappin and a talkin
thats what i am thinking, if i were motorola i wouldnt want to replace a phone with a processor desodered because the user overclocked the phone. and i wouldnt say 1% of the android market roots and flashes roms, i would give it about 3-5% at least.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will give you 3% maybe but no higher and even then of that 3% I would say less then 5% (probably far less than 5%) do irreversible damage to their phones and get someone to replace the phone for them. Then consider the fact that those phones that they send in will probably be recovered and used a refurbs so even then its not a total loss because they are used to replace legitimately damaged phones. Given those facts that means that if a million users were to purchase android phones only 15000 phones would have to be replaced due to root neglagence and I think that that is even an inflamed figure. I really don't think that's why they lock them down. I think it has more to do with the fact that they design phones the way they think they should run and after investing time and money in to it, they don't want people mucking it up.

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'll agree to alot of that! A million phones wouldn't be "inflamed" at all actually since Google announced that 300,000 Android phones are activated everyday so 1,000,000 wouldn't take long to reach.

I will give you 3% maybe but no higher and even then of that 3% I would say less then 5% (probably far less than 5%) do irreversible damage to their phones and get someone to replace the phone for them. Then consider the fact that those phones that they send in will probably be recovered and used a refurbs so even then its not a total loss because they are used to replace legitimately damaged phones. Given those facts that means that if a million users were to purchase android phones only 15000 phones would have to be replaced due to root neglagence and I think that that is even an inflamed figure. I really don't think that's why they lock them down. I think it has more to do with the fact that they design phones the way they think they should run and after investing time and money in to it, they don't want people mucking it up.

tappin and a talkin

DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh no for sure. The figure that I think is inflamed is the 15000 phones out of a million needing to be replaced, honestly I would place that figure at closer to 8000. Now when you consider that each of those phones costs in the neighborhood of 500 dollars (accounting for both low and high end android phones) that would be a loss of about 4 million dollars against the original gain of 500 million dollars (again using figures of 1 million phones sold and 8000 bricked due to neglegence) and like I said they wouldn't have to eat that entire loss since likely some if not many of them can be saved and redistributed. Now I'm not saying that its ok to dupe companies in to replacing your phone after you knowingly destroy it but I think that accounts for only a fraction of the losses that the phone companies incur in a year. In fact, I would almost be willing to state that perportionally they incur less of a loss from root users than average users because many of us are either a) afraid to try and bring in a rooted device or b) smart enough to recover it ourselves.

tappin and a talkin