Android wear update

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm becoming an old man....use my smartwatch mainly to tell time, and disable almost all notification. I don't want to swipe any direction for anything. When I want to interact, there are about 4-5 apps I use that I have hotspots on my watchface to launch.

Putting Pay in the settings home makes sense, but not sure how that's easier than clicking for the app drawer and having Pay moved to the top of the list (hotspots for the apps I use frequently, then the 4-5 apps I use occasionally sorted to the top of the app drawer).

Now I ignore it far too much, but one of the best things Google has done with AndroidWear is the reminder to get off your ass after an hour :)

Badelhas

Reaction score
I don't see that happening on mine, unfortunately.
They stated "swipe up to see all Notification at once....and then tap one to open options.....". I'm paraphrasing but that's what I took as new. Now when I swipe up I see one notification, swipe up again to see the next, etc. That blog post made it seem like we can swipe up and see all Notifications at once. Maybe I interpreted that incorrectly?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Badelhas

Reaction score
Which smartwatch do you have? I don't have any of those features on mine.
Well, I'm becoming an old man....use my smartwatch mainly to tell time, and disable almost all notification. I don't want to swipe any direction for anything. When I want to interact, there are about 4-5 apps I use that I have hotspots on my watchface to launch.

Putting Pay in the settings home makes sense, but not sure how that's easier than clicking for the app drawer and having Pay moved to the top of the list (hotspots for the apps I use frequently, then the 4-5 apps I use occasionally sorted to the top of the app drawer).

Now I ignore it far too much, but one of the best things Google has done with AndroidWear is the reminder to get off your ass after an hour :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Which smartwatch do you have? I don't have any of those features on mine.

Huawei Watch 2 Classic.

The hotspots on the watchface is a feature of Watchmaker (you can probably comfortably have up to 5-7 hotspots). Pujie Black, I think it is, is another watchface app that has a quick "pie drawer" for 6-8 of your most frequently used apps.

In your app drawer, press and hold on an app and it shoots it to the top of your otherwise alphabetical sort. Press and hold again and it returns it to its original positions. I assume this is a feature of AndroidWear 2.0 and above, but perhaps not.

The reminder I get not moving after an hour I also assumed was AndroidWear, but maybe it's a Huawei thing. Or maybe it's Google Fit, in case you're not using that app.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From what I just saw on CNET, it sounds like this is an actual new Wear OS system update and not just an update to the Wear OS app? I guess that would explain why some of us are on Wear OS app ver 2.16.... but have not seen any of this new functionality. I thought Google was going to stop sending out system / OS updates and was going to update the watches software through the Wear OS app updates? Check out this CNET video, it demonstrates the new Notification functionality 9and some other new stuff):

Badelhas

Reaction score
Yeah but I remember that they said my original Huawei Watch was going to get that update and it didn't. I don't get it.
From what I just saw on CNET, it sounds like this is an actual new Wear OS system update and not just an update to the Wear OS app? I guess that would explain why some of us are on Wear OS app ver 2.16.... but have not seen any of this new functionality. I thought Google was going to stop sending out system / OS updates and was going to update the watches software through the Wear OS app updates? Check out this CNET video, it demonstrates the new Notification functionality 9and some other new stuff):

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
And they are calling this the "new Wear OS 2.0"? That's confusing

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Found this suggestion on Reddit that may cause your watch to download the new version of Wear.

I'm almost tempted to dust my watch off & try it myself, but I'll wait until one of you guys that wears theirs everyday tries it before I waste the battery & time. Haha

On your Wear OS watch, go into Play Store and find Wear OS app

Uninstall Wear OS app

Once done uninstalling, its Play Store page should say “Update”

Tap “Update” to re-update the app

Once that finishes, you may see a notification to further update to the new Wear OS 2.0

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I saw that also Jonny. If I have some time I might try it. But I hate to accidentally mess up the connection between watch & phone just for a new update.

Badelhas

Reaction score
Won't that procedure force you to reset to pair the watch to the smartphone again?
Found this suggestion on Reddit that may cause your watch to download the new version of Wear.

I'm almost tempted to dust my watch off & try it myself, but I'll wait until one of you guys that wears theirs everyday tries it before I waste the battery & time. Haha

On your Wear OS watch, go into Play Store and find Wear OS app

Uninstall Wear OS app

Once done uninstalling, its Play Store page should say “Update”

Tap “Update” to re-update the app

Once that finishes, you may see a notification to further update to the new Wear OS 2.0

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure, but it shouldn't. You're not resetting the watch, just uninstalling an app.

I guess I don't know for sure what happens when you uninstall the Wear app from your watch...

Badelhas

Reaction score
I think you do since reseting the smartphone has that effect, I've tried it.
Not sure, but it shouldn't. You're not resetting the watch, just uninstalling an app.

I guess I don't know for sure what happens when you uninstall the Wear app from your watch...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I read the same Reddit article and the author claimed it worked on one out of three phones (I think that was the case) buy never mentioned the process doing the same as a factory reset. I think that would have been a talking point, but maybe not.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Let me fire mine up & uninstall the wear app. Since I can't wear it at my job, no big loss if I have to re-pair it.

As soon as I finish what I'm doing...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm attaching a pic with my current version numbers.

There was a Wear OS update available when I found it in the Play Store, but I went ahead & uninstalled it. I didn't have to pair it to the phone again, but the tutorial did pop up again after I uninstalled it.

I'm updating the app on the watch now.
dc75790eb6a4348d36d6b8c080edbf94.jpg