Android OS 2.1 available for the Droid, use at your own risk!

xmscott

Reaction score
Here is a video of it being used.

[video=youtube;9ypkGi9Hxt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypkGi9Hxt4&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ypkGi9Hxt4[/video]

KevinJ

Reaction score
I saw the video for the new startup with this OS, and showed it to my Dad. Like me, he likes the current "Cylon Red Eye" and the "Droid" sound it makes at startup.

I'm hoping that if this new OS comes to pass, there's a way to go back to the current startup graphics.

crizchun

Reaction score
Oh, you guys talkin' about a non-official FW version.

It looks cool. Not a big deal if you ask me.

No GPS yet>!?Crazy.

and what's he talkin' about animated backround?

For now, ain't touchin' it.:motdroidhoriz:

turbo325ii

Reaction score
It didnt seem like 2.1 was much better... Hard to tell from the video... I wont do it if it doesnt suppourt GPS. Im sure it will all come in time.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It didnt seem like 2.1 was much better... Hard to tell from the video... I wont do it if it doesnt suppourt GPS. Im sure it will all come in time.

Supports GPS just Fine...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Supports GPS just Fine...

Oh, well in the video he said it didnt. If it does, is there any downside?

None that I have found....

cap200912262022.jpg

Droidiac

Reaction score
Is this bug proof yet. My phone keeps asking me to upgrade and i Wanna make sure it is

hajabooja

Reaction score
Is this bug proof yet. My phone keeps asking me to upgrade and i Wanna make sure it is

I believe your phone is asking you to upgrade to 2.0.1. As 2.1 is not out yet. So yes, it is ok to upgrade to 2.0.1. For me the only downside to 2.0.1 is the browser lag. Otherwise its running great.

Droidiac

Reaction score
I'm still at that point to. Lol when the bill comes I think ill break out the super glue

moneymatt

Reaction score
My 2 cents on 2.1 after installing tonight-

Not Worth it..

The upgrade is a bit of a hassle and takes a good amount of time.

Not all apps are compatible (phonemypc not working was a dealbreaker)

While the transition animations are new, it's really not any smoother- The frame-rate unfortunately still skips around. I thought i'd get the Eris butter smooth look but that's not the case.

Force Close doesn't seem to work in many situations now leaving you with a hanging phone. I found myself doing the dreaded battery pull a couple of times.

The new animations are nice but many of them take way too much time..

There seems to be some new lag introduced with basic phone functionality.

Live Wallpapers are a cool idea but ultimately a distraction --

I hate to be a negative nancy about this, but 2.0.1 is SUCH a strong solid stable build with my experience. There's no real unique selling point for 2.1 for me as of yet..

If you do check it out, make sure to backup your current nandroid system directory so you can get back home.. I already did.

best,
$Matt

brubakes

Reaction score
Will there be a legal/supported update to version 2.1 at some point? I can wait if there will be since the phone is just so new and that whole warranty thing this time around.