Jolla Sailfish OS Will Soon Be Available For Android Devices

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

Jolla was announced back in May and along with the new device a new Operating System, Sailfish OS, was also introduced to us. Many Android users were excited about the news of an all new experience, and began to seek out ways to possibly get this on their own device through way of a Rom or Port. Jolla has already been made available to the European market. Soon we will be able to get a taste of the Sailfish OS on our Android devices according to the Jolla CEO Tomi Pienimaki who said in an interview, "That is the plan. We are on device business and OS business, It is fairly easy to install the OS on Android devices."

Tomi went on to explain that custom OS firmware is mainstream in other countries like China. He stated that over half of Chinese consumers update their own outdated devices with custom firmware. The plan is to distribute their OS through popular websites where consumers can download and flash Sailfish on their own. So far the only thing that may hold back many consumers from using Sailfish is the fact that it doesn't yet support LTE. However Jolla confirms they are currently working on building in LTE support. It seems like Sailfish on Android may yet be a ways away. Are you excited to give this new OS a try?

Via Talouselama

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would be nice to check out, especially if they're able to maintain compatibility for major services. It will definitely be a niche thing for a while though.

swc2001

Reaction score
Meh! why? How is this better than a Dev cooked up ROM?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
what are the benefits of jolla os over android? so far i see no reason to even consider it.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Frankly, options are nice for those that want them, but for me I just don't see it being worthwhile. Hell, half the custom ROMs out there don't compete with the stock OS. People put up with bugs, limitations and instability just to be able to brag that they have a custom ROM... I have tried dozens of them over the years on half a dozen devices, and for the most part, I usually end up going back to stock because stock just WORKS better. So the thought of having an OS that isn't even made for my particular phone, doesn't seem too appealing... I need my phone to work. I bought it for certain features, and any OS that takes away from that, takes away from why I bought this particular device in the first place...

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Frankly, options are nice for those that want them, but for me I just don't see it being worthwhile. Hell, half the custom ROMs out there don't compete with the stock OS. People put up with bugs, limitations and instability just to be able to brag that they have a custom ROM... I have tried dozens of them over the years on half a dozen devices, and for the most part, I usually end up going back to stock because stock just WORKS better. So the thought of having an OS that isn't even made for my particular phone, doesn't seem too appealing... I need my phone to work. I bought it for certain features, and any OS that takes away from that, takes away from why I bought this particular device in the first place...

I agree that custom ROMs tend not to work as well as the Stock does, but they have more features, and I think people choose to ignore the bugs to get the features. I have however stayed away from the cool custom Roms to get a phone that works most of the time.

swc2001

Reaction score
Well when the phones were simpler Roms were excellent alternatives.... unfortunately these days the stock rom is so complex its hard to compete with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree that custom ROMs tend not to work as well as the Stock does, but they have more features, and I think people choose to ignore the bugs to get the features. I have however stayed away from the cool custom Roms to get a phone that works most of the time.

I would say that they have different features, not more.

Some have the ability to have themes, but you can get those with any of a dozen 3rd party launchers on a stock phone. Some add a couple menu options, but so do some stock ROMs. Some offer the ability to overclock, but only a few people care about overclocking a phone... I mean really, a phone? If the phone needs to be overclocked to make it usable, its time for a new phone...

So you can gain a few things, but you typically give up several of the stock features... features that may have attracted you to a particular phone in the first place.

Today, there is very little need for a custom ROM. Many of them are unstable, experimental software, and very few of the people running them have actual uses for them. It is much more about the geek factor, being able to tell your friends that you are l337 and have a custom ROM to show off.

The updating nightlies, the extra work, all the stuff that you might give up... I just don't see the point any more. It's a phone. Make calls, send a text, check email, etc...

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I would say that they have different features, not more.

Some have the ability to have themes, but you can get those with any of a dozen 3rd party launchers on a stock phone. Some add a couple menu options, but so do some stock ROMs.

The Xposed framework also opens up a world of features and customizations that negate the need to run custom firmware on a device. As long as you're rooted, you can run stock Android and add Xposed modules to enable or tweak many aspects of the OS.