Android Nearby Share is finally rolling out

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
According to Google Android Nearby Share is finally ready to roll out. I for one am definitely looking forward to this, especially when it comes to Chrome OS (Chromebooks) later this year. Google didn't say how it's rolling out to select Pixel phones first (nor which ones).

From Google: Instantly share files with people around you with Nearby Share

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I read on this yesterday and good to hear it ...Samsung and Pixel phones will have it so I'm covered

ggrant3876

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung S23 Ultra
Samsung already has it as long as both phones have Smart Switch installed and are with in 50cm of each other.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Anyone actually see this new Setting show up yet? Some folks are claiming you only see it if you are a Play Store (play services) Beta tester.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
From what I read this morning it is only available to a "select" group of Google Play Services beta testers. Google could have made that a little more clear in their blog post. . But rumors suggest they (Google) are trying to make sure this is ready for a larger rollout with Android 11 in the Fall.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you are like me, these articles keep appearing in your news feed. If not just do a Google search for Android Phone Hub, and you'll find that Google is actively working on giving us better syncing between phone & laptop. As an avid Chromebook user I am really looking forward to more & better continuity & syncing between my phone and my Chromebook.

Example article title: "Chrome OS to gain Android Phone Hub with notifications and task continuation..."

SeanD_CO

Reaction score
I had Nearby Share show up as a new button about 1 week ago. I am not a Google Play Services Beta Tester or anything. I just happened to notice the flag for something new so checked it out and there it was.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just confirmed that my Pixel 3XL has Nearby Share. Confirmed in the Google Photo's Share Menu.
Are you part of the Google Play Services beta program?

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you part of the Google Play Services beta program?

I think I might be. I did sign up for it a while back to try and get RCS Chat in Messages. That could be why it's enabled on my P3XL. But as with always seems to happen, even though I have Nearby Share, nobody else near by has it to share with.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
That's a good point. Even if I joined the Play Services beta, no one else around me would have it. I mainly want it for my Chromebook. But I don't think it's part of Chrome OS yet. Guess I'll just be patient and wait for the official Android 11 release and hope it's part of that, along with the corresponding Chrome OS update.

Last edited:

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
To follow up.

Not only has Nearby Share turned up on Samsung TabS4, but Samsung included a quick toggle for the pull down shade! I have yet find one on my Pixel 3XL. Suffice it say, a quick test to share a photo from my phone to my tablet worked as advertised.