Google Makes the Chromebook Pixel Official; Will Retail for $1300

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 21, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Earlier today the Wall Street Journal posted a story that seemed to confirm the Chromebook Pixel is in fact a real device. Google took that one step further and officially confirmed it! The device looks very impressive, but also comes with a mammoth pricetag of $1300. Here's the press statement and link to the Chromebook blog,

For those interested, be sure to check out our sister-site @: http://www.thechromebookforum.com/f...xel-official-will-retail-1300-a.html#post8002

Source: Google Chromebook Blog
  2. thc1967

thc1967 Member

Seems like a really freaking expensive network device with an awesome display. Dollar for dollar, any laptop is better in every way except screen.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

WHAT!?!?!?! 1300 dollars!? They gotta have something special up their sleeves because if not...WTF. Is it a full on Android device, doubt it. Does it have a core i7 processor, nope...i5. If they are banking on a high quality screen to watch video on...I'll pass. People can get a 10" nexus device that can do all the same stuff for less than half the price.
  4. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

My guess is that the specs is going to be on par with a Macbook and high end Windows laptops hence the price.
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Here's the main problem (with today's connection speeds) with cloud storage: those of us with honking big files (well over 50 megs) don't want to wait to d/l and u/l files, in addition to loading them. I've had 300meg files and I could never get work done using cloud for anything other than back-up.

And airplane wifi is expensive (and still not present on many routes). After your 12 passes run out, I guess you better find alternate methods if you'll do work on a plane.

Cloud storage is kind of a fail. I get why Google is pushing it, but they can collect all their marketing data just by getting people to back-up to the cloud.

All-in-all, this device is ridiculously overpriced when there are superior ultrabooks on the market for cheaper (some even with touchscreens). Increasingly I'm really seeing opportunities for MS in the mobile/tablet market because of such overreaches (that is, assuming MS can get out of its own way).
  6. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

At this price, it's a failure. I wouldn't pay more then $500 for netbook.
    3 people like this.
  7. Asgard

Asgard New Member

I agree, since the announcement I knew that it was not for me, because I require a higher end computer. But I was considering as a gift. But with that price I can give something way better.
    Why Google?
  8. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

+1 Especially when the chromebooks have been a failure to begin with. They can't seem to sell those things at $250, let alone $1300.
  9. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Samsung Chromebook $249 + Seagate Wireless Plus 1 TB $199

Seems that would be a better solution....?

Touchscreen on a laptop makes very little sense to me. I like the idea of this laptop and what all it has to offer hardware wise...just way to much money.
  10. kodiak799

I wonder if this isn't a page out of the Apple pricing strategy. Package is as new and exciting cutting edge, and then slap a ridiculous high price on it to make it trendy and elite....wait for the early adopters to get suckered in and then turn them into long-sticky customers.

Only explanation I can come up with. Apple owns the high margin early-adopters. If you plan to launch a bunch of new products and services, that's the group you need to grow you market while getting good margins (as opposed to a much lower margin volume strategy for the mass market).
  11. kodiak799

Agreed. Unless the keyboard is detachable, turning it into a tablet.
  12. pdroid

pdroid New Member

My reaction exactly. You gotta really be drinking the Google kool-aid to go for this.
  13. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

In today's economy, yea:blink:, good luck:D.
  14. meishkov

meishkov New Member

$1,300 is pretty ridonkulous, maybe it's packing some killer internals that'd make it a decent IDE?? Would only hope for that price...but I wouldn't mind getting one, but oh wait I forgot, Big Red stole my unlimited data, so when I'm not near Wifi, that 1TB of cloud storage could get mighty expensive.:angry:
  15. obxsalvo

obxsalvo Member

At that price I would hope the key board is lit.
  16. cybertec69

How did Big Red steal your unlimited data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums
  17. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

I'm very surprised that isn't standard on every computer.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.
  18. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Cuz when I upgraded from OG droid to S3 I had to do that tiered data garbage scam that they have going for the past year. Oh u still have yours? Either u still have a 3g device or u paid like $700 for a new one to keep unlimited. No thanks. Old news.

19. cybertec69

First look at my signature, second, no I did not pay $700 for my smartphone, I upgraded at subsidized price and kept my unlimited data plan last July, it was the last keep your unlimited data and upgrade at subsidized price on Verizon. By the way, there is no reason to pay full price for any smartphone nowadays, you can go to eBay or swappa and get a fairly new device for half the retail price, unless you need to have that new phone as soon as it hits the street, then you will pay a premium for it, which I do not recommend, the way manufacturers are pumping out new devices every six months it makes no sense to buy a device as soon as it hits the shelves.
    My next smartphone will be bought outright as long as I can keep my unlimited data, but I will never pay $600-$700 for a smartphone.
    By the way Verizon did not steal your unlimited data plan, they gave you a choice, your choice was to get a subsidized phone, and that meant going the new data plan route, no one twisted your arm or forced you to go that route, it was your choice and yours alone.
    http://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-verizon

20. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Cybertec ur a smart dude. I wasn't planning on upgrading for awhile cuz i wasnt willing to pay that ridiculous price to keep unlimited, so I waited for that unlimited window to close, then wouldnt u know it, 1 week later my work offered to pay for my upgrade. I was like dam it. But hey I'm not gonna argue with anybody about gettin a free S3, so here I am. I'd be lying if I said I'm not jealous of unlimited, especially lte. I could see them not caring anout 3g since that ish is slow as all hell. Its changed my browsing habits slightly, like if there's a long hd YouTube video I'll just send the link to my nexus10 to view later instead of watching over 4g. What really irks me is reading those articles about how its getting cheaper n cheaper for vzw to transmit data but yet the prices keep going up n up. Friggin capitalism I swear, it'll be what's responsible for this country's demise. What a joke. But back to relation to the OP I'd say that there's far fewer people still on unlimited than u think. So for that 1tb of cloud storage it doesn't really matter it could be 1zetabyte, u still have to go thru a scandulous greedy tiered data plan. I'm still interested in what this chromebook pixels specs are. They're holding out hoping some sheep will just jump on it for the nice screen probably. :)

Search tags for this page

prefetch on mobile android