Google Makes the Chromebook Pixel Official; Will Retail for $1300

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
$1,300 is pretty ridonkulous, maybe it's packing some killer internals that'd make it a decent IDE?? Would only hope for that price...but I wouldn't mind getting one, but oh wait I forgot, Big Red stole my unlimited data, so when I'm not near Wifi, that 1TB of cloud storage could get mighty expensive.:angry:

How did Big Red steal your unlimited data.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

meishkov

Reaction score
How did Big Red steal your unlimited data.

Cuz when I upgraded from OG droid to S3 I had to do that tiered data garbage scam that they have going for the past year. Oh u still have yours? Either u still have a 3g device or u paid like $700 for a new one to keep unlimited. No thanks. Old news.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Cuz when I upgraded from OG droid to S3 I had to do that tiered data garbage scam that they have going for the past year. Oh u still have yours? Either u still have a 3g device or u paid like $700 for a new one to keep unlimited. No thanks. Old news.

First look at my signature, second, no I did not pay $700 for my smartphone, I upgraded at subsidized price and kept my unlimited data plan last July, it was the last keep your unlimited data and upgrade at subsidized price on Verizon. By the way, there is no reason to pay full price for any smartphone nowadays, you can go to eBay or swappa and get a fairly new device for half the retail price, unless you need to have that new phone as soon as it hits the street, then you will pay a premium for it, which I do not recommend, the way manufacturers are pumping out new devices every six months it makes no sense to buy a device as soon as it hits the shelves.
My next smartphone will be bought outright as long as I can keep my unlimited data, but I will never pay $600-$700 for a smartphone.
By the way Verizon did not steal your unlimited data plan, they gave you a choice, your choice was to get a subsidized phone, and that meant going the new data plan route, no one twisted your arm or forced you to go that route, it was your choice and yours alone.
http://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-verizon

meishkov

Reaction score
Cybertec ur a smart dude. I wasn't planning on upgrading for awhile cuz i wasnt willing to pay that ridiculous price to keep unlimited, so I waited for that unlimited window to close, then wouldnt u know it, 1 week later my work offered to pay for my upgrade. I was like dam it. But hey I'm not gonna argue with anybody about gettin a free S3, so here I am. I'd be lying if I said I'm not jealous of unlimited, especially lte. I could see them not caring anout 3g since that ish is slow as all hell. Its changed my browsing habits slightly, like if there's a long hd YouTube video I'll just send the link to my nexus10 to view later instead of watching over 4g. What really irks me is reading those articles about how its getting cheaper n cheaper for vzw to transmit data but yet the prices keep going up n up. Friggin capitalism I swear, it'll be what's responsible for this country's demise. What a joke. But back to relation to the OP I'd say that there's far fewer people still on unlimited than u think. So for that 1tb of cloud storage it doesn't really matter it could be 1zetabyte, u still have to go thru a scandulous greedy tiered data plan. I'm still interested in what this chromebook pixels specs are. They're holding out hoping some sheep will just jump on it for the nice screen probably. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Speaking of unlimited - I haven't noticed this before but Google News & Weather is a MAJOR data hog. I have set to update every 3 hours and today already it has gobbled up 60MB of data. Granted, that's largely because I have it set to prefetch articles and images (turned it off because it doesn't seem to do anything).

It does go to show that certain settings on news feeds can really chew thru the data.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The crazy thing about phone prices is the OEM's get $400-$500 for most of the high-end devices (when you factor in the carrier subsidy and what you'd pay thru VZW). Then they turn around and sell those same phones for $600-$700 retail. It's collusion to force people into contracts. $450 retail for a phone I could stomach, not $650+ though.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
I passed, not enough there for the money. Ultra books looking better.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
For $1300, I'd rather get the [h=1]ASUS TAICHI 21[/h]

52brandon

Reaction score
Touchscreen on a laptop makes very little sense to me. I like the idea of this laptop and what all it has to offer hardware wise...just way to much money.
I disagree. A friend has a touch-screen ultrabook that folds fully backwards w/ Win8. Some of the touch gestures, folded back or not are pretty damn sweet

as for this particular device, maybe there's something significant I'm missing (but I doubt it), but it doesn't seem to warrant half that price tag

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Still the ultra book is not solely dependent on an internet connection to "survive".

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I disagree. A friend has a touch-screen ultrabook that folds fully backwards w/ Win8. Some of the touch gestures, folded back or not are pretty damn sweet

as for this particular device, maybe there's something significant I'm missing (but I doubt it), but it doesn't seem to warrant half that price tag

I saw those and thought it was interesting. Not sure for the price that I'm a fan of such a small screen (I think 13-14" is the sweet spot if you'll use primarily as a laptop), or the lack of flexibility to angle the screen...plus cramping the keyboard.

And, IMO, it's still a problem between needing Windows for a business laptop and wanting Android for a tablet. Well, I'm primarily talking Office - I guess there are some decent basic android apps, but I'm talking full-blown Office capability.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw those and thought it was interesting. Not sure for the price that I'm a fan of such a small screen (I think 13-14" is the sweet spot if you'll use primarily as a laptop), or the lack of flexibility to angle the screen...plus cramping the keyboard.

And, IMO, it's still a problem between needing Windows for a business laptop and wanting Android for a tablet. Well, I'm primarily talking Office - I guess there are some decent basic android apps, but I'm talking full-blown Office capability.

Don't some of the android office apps have full blown office capability? I'm talking PowerPoint word the whole shebang? I know I've created a PowerPoint on my phone before

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II