Android 2.2 / Froyo to bring Bluetooth voice dialing?

mafiadan

Reaction score
New guy here! Happy to be here as well. I have a Jawbone Icon headset and recently downloaded the 2.2 release but do not (or cannot) get the voice command feature via headset to work. Please advise and thank you in advance.

OP
M

mafiadan

Reaction score
Voice Dialing

When I hit the button I get the response "voice dialing". When I speak there is no communication with the phone. I just got off the phone with a Verizon Tech and he stated that the voice dialing via headset feature will be available with the Android 2.2 SOFTWARE release. Supposedly this date is still not clear. I'd love to know if I'm missing something cause sometimes the Verizon techs are hit and miss.:icon_eek:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this will sound stupid, but are you SURE you have 2.2 running on the unit?

What release did you grab and install?

BT dialing runs fine on mine with a moto BT Hdst.

We might have to await another Jawbone user to find out if it is the headset or your install...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I hit the button I get the response "voice dialing". When I speak there is no communication with the phone. I just got off the phone with a Verizon Tech and he stated that the voice dialing via headset feature will be available with the Android 2.2 SOFTWARE release. Supposedly this date is still not clear. I'd love to know if I'm missing something cause sometimes the Verizon techs are hit and miss.:icon_eek:

Well, you don't have 2.2 yet. That's why it isn't working. I thought from your OP you had 2.2.

You can either install 2.2 now or wait for it to come OTA. There is no certain date on when it's going to arrive but we do have some indicators that it will arrive around the week of 8/7.

OP
M

mafiadan

Reaction score
Smart Android 2.2 Google Inc. was downloaded/installed (version 0.1.8) a few weeks ago. I'm assuming this is what we're talking about?

OP
M

mafiadan

Reaction score
Information Reply to Original Post

I received the following (2) responses regarding Motorola 2.2 software and Jawbone Icon headset for those interested:

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless.

We greatly value your business and we are committed to provide the best customer service possible. Since I was not able to reach you by phone, I wanted to send you an email to provide as much assistance as I can.

There is definitely alot of personal opinions when it comes to the release of the Motorola Droid 2.2 software. We will know the specifications of the new software when it becomes available. There are "leaked" versions of 2.2 that you can find on the Internet. I always caution our customers when it comes to downloading/installing this software. I encourage you to wait until the official release of the software directly from Motorola.

The Droid phones are not been compatible for the Voice Dialing feature with any Bluetooth headset. This isn't a Jawbone issue, but a Bluetooth issue in general.
Hopefully in the future there will be an update to the Droid phone allowing the capability with Bluetooth. I have no information on when this will happen.
For better information please contact the Droid phones wireless service and see if they have any updates on the issue.
I'm sorry for the inconveniences.
Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Moriah
The Jawbone Support Team
Jawbone ICON? The World's First Intelligent Headset now plays music, podcasts, and more!

uflraptor

Reaction score
I am very excited. I just received my update on Saturday and found out today that 2.2 allows voice dialing through Bluetooth.

I have had other phones that did this and was sad to lose this feature when moved to Droid. Glad Motorola listened and added this feature.

mslal

Reaction score
I got the update yesterday too, and was really looking forward to using voice commands. Not happy at all with its performance. speech it almost unintelligible, and calling contacts is inaccurate.