Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

Rick-s

Reaction score
So my phone is rooted, and the OTA update keeps popping up on my phone so i keep hitting install later
I have the droidmod 1.0 BUT i am thinking about just accepting the update
it does not seem like i will lose out on much other than overclocking and the smoked glass theme because i heard there is a tethering app and then theres the helix launcher
I have seen videos of the stock 2.1 and it seems to be very quick and smooth, I dont even see the difference in 800 mhz on my phone.

SOO my question is, are you guys that have the stock update notice good stability and speed?
Is there a way to theme anything with helix?

I too was running DM 1.0 I just went to stock 2.1 and love it. I don't tether, and didn't need OC. Just ran dmupdater to go back to stock, then when that was complete, I let the OTA update take place.

Only difference I notice other than the obvious lack of root only apps is the loss of landscape mode on the standard home screen, and now the live wall papers respond to touch like they should. Speed seems fine. I really don't see any major lag in what I've messed with. Maybe someday if/when 2.1 gets rooted I'll re-root... but for now I'm really pleased with stock 2.1. :biggrin:

astevens54

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Was the app launcher changed? I had read it would be, but doesn't seem to be on mine. I looked to see if the was a way to change it, bt did see a way.

Speedy3

Reaction score
I got my OTA update sometime between 1:30am and 6:38am this morning in NC. My son hasn't gotten his though (same day purchase btw). I wanted the 7 screens more than anything else but I am fine just knowing I have the latest software update. I did install Helix Launcher2 but uninstalled it after multiple FC. Maybe I'll try it again in a week or so. My son was visiting me for the past week on Spring Break and I hoped/wished he would have gotten the OTA prior to going back to MD. I'll check in with him every morning to see if it comes through and help him with the update. He will be 13 on his Birthday next Friday, 4/9 and this was part of his Birthday present along with getting good grades last quarter.

subsynth

Reaction score
My update was waiting for me when I woke up today.
No problems with installation, it preserved all my settings and extra home screens from Helix.
Picasa in Gallery happened automatically.
Everything's peachy!

Tegamal

Reaction score
I went from DM1.0 to manual update 2.1. I like it a lot, but I do wish I could overclock, can't wait for someone to root it. :wink:

I tried using Wifi tether while rooted & it was horrible! PDANet does much better & no need to root!

Tmurrray315

Reaction score
So i got the update late last night and i woke up did a factory reset on my phone first i backed up my apps using astro file manager then did the factory reset and installed the update i was looking forward to yahoo working on the droid but it still doesnt seem to notify me of new emails coming in

xxacexx2

Reaction score
So my phone is rooted, and the OTA update keeps popping up on my phone so i keep hitting install later
I have the droidmod 1.0 BUT i am thinking about just accepting the update
it does not seem like i will lose out on much other than overclocking and the smoked glass theme because i heard there is a tethering app and then theres the helix launcher
I have seen videos of the stock 2.1 and it seems to be very quick and smooth, I dont even see the difference in 800 mhz on my phone.

SOO my question is, are you guys that have the stock update notice good stability and speed?
Is there a way to theme anything with helix?

I too was running DM 1.0 I just went to stock 2.1 and love it. I don't tether, and didn't need OC. Just ran dmupdater to go back to stock, then when that was complete, I let the OTA update take place.

Only difference I notice other than the obvious lack of root only apps is the loss of landscape mode on the standard home screen, and now the live wall papers respond to touch like they should. Speed seems fine. I really don't see any major lag in what I've messed with. Maybe someday if/when 2.1 gets rooted I'll re-root... but for now I'm really pleased with stock 2.1. :biggrin:

thanks for the response!
I think I will go back to stock for some time. Can I not just accept OTA update? why do I have to go back to stock before I receive the update?
Also are you able to use any themes? I will miss smoked glass :(

hapster

Reaction score
The update was waiting for me when I got up this morning, but my wife still hasn't gotten it. Yahoo mail accts can be added now without doing any work arounds, which is good, and the new pic gallery is cool.

jcboof

Reaction score
well, i found out that after i accepted and downloaded the update, my phone would not boot up. It went into what is called Bootloop. keep changing between the "Eye" and the "droid" screens. I had to completely WIPE my phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:
But luckily I backed up all my contacts and important info so now I'm all fixed up!

Took me about an hour to get my phone back to where it was before the update. Now that I have the 2.1 update on the phone, its pretty cool.

JLB09

Reaction score
Glad I helped someone ...
Maybe this will be of use to others:
Download Android 2.1 Firmware Update for Verizon Droid and Upgrade Manually

You did and I am very pleased. Seems faster to me. the live wallpapers although not something I had really cared about are absolutely cool. I cannot say enough good things about multi-touch that in itself is just awesome. Lots of subtle changes and I think my phone is working great.

Wish everyone would get it soon and enjoy the fun. good luck.

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
2.1 is awesome, works good, only thing I'm disapointed about is I thought it was going to include Flash :confused: