Android 2.1 Update Rolls Out For Motorola Droid!

ToddClark

Reaction score
ok, maybe im a complete dumbass, BUT, for those of you manually updating to 2.1, are you downloading the zip file to your laptop, and then installing from there, or are you doing everything directly from the phone?

I went to the link, clicked the update.zip and my droid said it wasnt capable of downloading that type of file (or something like that). So should i download it to the laptop and then plug the phone up to that and do it that way?

Also, i reset the phone to factory settings. Now, i had downloaded PDAnet for tethering, and of course, its not on the phone anymore, but still on my laptop. I didnt screw up did i? Will i be able to put it back on the phone after i update without having to pay for it again?

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
Glad the update is coming. Just rooted yesterday because I didn't think It would come before I leave for a week in florida on the 2nd. Interesting to see an updated build number now that alot of the 2.1 roms are built around ESE53. I too am wondering what the difference is. I guess everyone can thank me for the update since I knew the day after I rooted it would come. Your welcome. Congrats to all the holdouts that didn't root. If it truly does come it's a happy day.

i understand people want to be safe and wait for official OTA. I understand rooting might seem like a task to some people. BUT ive been running a custom 2.1 ROM for over a month now. everything the OTA update has PLUS 7 screens, 3d app drawer, customizable EVERYTHING, and i have my droid running at 1.1Ghz....faster than N1. There are so many step by step tutorials out there. So root your droid. Im sure the OTA update is cool compared to 2.0.1 but if you root and look for Ultimate Droid v9...it makes the OTA update seem like nothing.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Oops I meant to quote JoDroid from NYC
I'm on Long Island. I got mine late last night; looked at my Droid around midnight and there was the notice. I had to click accept for it to proceed. I'm guessing you'll get yours soon.

I haven't had much time to check it out yet because I had to get a little sleep but I notice my phone's been syncing something since I unplugged it. Anyone know if this is normal? I hope 2.1 doesn't have to be syncing all the time or if so that it doesn't drain the battery. ...

just got mine a few minutes ago... but i got a few questions... how to i change the live wallpaper (neural net) from all red to the multi-color like i see in the previews?

and how come there isn't more home screens and the 3d app drawer?

tepdux

Reaction score
Droid Won't Update

I just got the update about an hour ago. Now my phone will still not boot up. its like its stuck. It keeps switching back and forth from the "EYE" to the liquid like "Droid" and will not fully boot.

WTF!!!!!!!!!! Getting a bit frustrated. its been doing this for at least 45 minutes now

When I woke up this morning I had a pop up informing me that I could update. I pressed update and everything appeared to work fine. After the update the phone turned off and then back on and has been doing that for over an hour. I get the "Droid" screen in white letters then the Red Eye screen back and forth. After one hour I tried holding down the power button which did nothing then I took out the battery and put it back in but got the same result. I see a few other people are experiencing this. Any ideas as to what is going on and how to stop it? I would go to the Verizon store but we all know how unhelpful that will be. I really don't want to get a new phone.

alex6x6x6

Reaction score
i got the update but gallery doesnt work. checked on "about phone" and it says 2.1-update 1. got the update around 5:00a.m. eastern time

jslifka0027

Reaction score
I received the update last night and my phone restarted but when it came back I was still running 2.0.1. Anyone have any ideas on how I could somehow get the phone to update? I even went to the system updates part in the settings and says Droid is up-to-date. Thanks.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Gallery working here. What happens when you open?

BTW, Update my phone finally stopped syncing.
LOL...
. Just trying the voice input. Needs work. The previous sentence came out my phone finally stopped thinking.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Gallery working here. What happens when you open?

BTW, Update my phone finally stopped syncing.
LOL...
. Just trying the voice input. Needs work. The previous sentence came out my phone finally stopped thinking.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Oops...sorry for the double post. Something different in 2.1 browser? Can't find edit post option either today.

xxacexx2

Reaction score
question!!

So my phone is rooted, and the OTA update keeps popping up on my phone so i keep hitting install later
I have the droidmod 1.0 BUT i am thinking about just accepting the update
it does not seem like i will lose out on much other than overclocking and the smoked glass theme because i heard there is a tethering app and then theres the helix launcher
I have seen videos of the stock 2.1 and it seems to be very quick and smooth, I dont even see the difference in 800 mhz on my phone.

SOO my question is, are you guys that have the stock update notice good stability and speed?
Is there a way to theme anything with helix?

Batfan.com

Reaction score
Where is the download link? Been searching this thread and cannot find it. Furthermore, how do I use Astro to install it? I'm really getting tired of waiting.