Amazon Beats Google/Apple with Cloud Drive Media Streaming Services.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
So who's going to be the first to upload their illegal music so they can stream it?

All my music is legal stuff dude. Sure some I bought from Russia, but that doesn't make it illegal. Does it?

One thing I noticed. The 20 gb is a one year free trial. At the end of the year you will buy the space or go back to the 5 gb. Didn't say that in the article I found earlier.

Got to read that fine print Hooky .... :)

I could see Google giving 20gb for free forever hehehe ... for arguement I submit MS skydrive, 25Gb with a live account, free, no time limit.

Now I KNOW we're talking more than storage here, we're talking streaming, but really, Googles servers could handle the load IMHO. :)

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can just buy one of the $0.69 albums and get your 20GBs for a year.

This is true…..

I think they should only charge me $30.00 for the extra space. This doesn't seem fair, sure they are giving you something but they give you 5 GB for free, then 15 more for purchasing the album. But I need more space, I'm stuck paying 50.00 the first year? I don't know, I think I'll give them a call about that.

hanks_cafe

Reaction score
You can just buy one of the $0.69 albums and get your 20GBs for a year.

This is true…..

I think they should only charge me $30.00 for the extra space. This doesn't seem fair, sure they are giving you something but they give you 5 GB for free, then 15 more for purchasing the album. But I need more space, I'm stuck paying 50.00 the first year? I don't know, I think I'll give them a call about that.

Yes, it's true. A coworker and I purchased the Lordi single album for $0.69 this morning and got upgraded to 20Gbs.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just tried to get an answer on why I lose out on 20 gb for my free incentive to pay 50.00 for the additional space. I didn't get an answer, I will get an email in 2 or 3 business days. :rolleyes:

lol, really that's not bad, it's just these days we expect everything immediately.

REMilk

Reaction score
I just tested the Cloud Drive using 3G by listening to a couple of songs on the Amazon Cloud Drive. on my Droid 1, the Amazon MP3 Cloud Player worked flawlessly. To me, the music sounded very good and I think music played in the Droid music player also sounds good. My ears are nearly 60 years old so nearly all MP3 music sounds good to me; I am not an audiophile.

I uploaded an album and I purchased an album on Amazon. I was able to listen to all music on the Cloud Drive. In addition I used the cloud player to listen to music on my Droid. It is easy to upload music to the Amazon Cloud Drive.

I also used the Amazon Cloud Player (browser-based) to listen to the same music on the Cloud Drive on my PC. The browser-based Cloud Player does not have access to music on your hard drive.

I also downloaded the entire album to my PC. I had to install the Amazon downloader. Once installed, the download was quick and it automatically added (synced) the album to both Windows Media Player and iTunes.

This seems like an excellent service and I can hardly wait to see what Google and others have to to offer.

Bob

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I need 21 gb of space I had to purchase the next amount of storage space which is 50 gb at $50.00. But since I already had the 20GB of space even though you press the 50.00 button it only charges you $30.00.

I had a rep on line walking me through this. He wasn't sure it would work that way but he was prepared to give me a $20.00 credit if it didn't. It did.

So I'll begin the long task of moving my music over to the cloud for storage. I have a back up drive for my Mac, but you never know when something can go wrong. And now anything I want to listen to on my phone I can stream. Pretty cool. Too bad it doesn't work with my iPad though. But that's still OK since you can purchase the music to your hard drive and then upload it to the cloud I can still stream it from my iMac to my iPad. Works out well either way.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
google's cloud/media streaming service must be close...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

That was the first thought I had too. I buy plenty of music from AMZ so I'm not rushing to buy this very second. As usual I'll have a song or two from them by the end of the week.

But, I'm REALLY interested to hear what Google Music will be like.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

That was the first thought I had too. I buy plenty of music from AMZ so I'm not rushing to buy this very second. As usual I'll have a song or two from them by the end of the week.

yeah I already pay $5/year (or whatever it is) for 20gb on Google, so hopefully that will carry over to their streaming service

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

yeah I already pay $5/year (or whatever it is) for 20gb on Google, so hopefully that will carry over to their streaming service

I'm guessing it will. I also pay for extra storage. I just wish they would hurry up. It's taking them a long time to get this done.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

nerdkill

Reaction score
I have some dumb questions. Can I use cloud storage to back up my songs? Or, is it just there to listen to music. In other words, if I upload a song to my Amazon cloud storage and my computer crashes can I then download the song back to my new computer? Also, is this like Rhapsody where you can only have a certain amount of licenses? Finally, if I buy a song from my phone and have it sent to my cloud storage, is it stuck there? Or can I download it when I get home.

If it's just storing it DRM free and I can download it whenever I want I'm leaving Rhapsody. Then maybe when Google comes out with theirs I'll upload everything to Google's cloud storage because I feel their prices are going to be a little better.

Also, it seems to me on the front page of Amazon.com it says that when you purchase music from Amazon it doesn't count against your quota. If that's true I'll just buy from Amazon for everything.

streetkid

Reaction score
I have nearly 300gb of music, so cloud storage at this point won't really cut it for me... doesn't mean I didn't sign up!

But also, 5GB isnt very much space at all, I mean, our phones have a 16gb card in them.. we can all easily put 5gb of music on there and still have a TON of space for pics and videos.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I just signed up for this. Even though I have my 30GB of music on Google's Doc servers (yeah can't stream), I got my 20GB of free space and am streaming to my Thunderbolt as we speak. Love original bitrate streaming. So long Slacker and Pandora. :) Very seriously considering getting 50GB for $30 and putting all my music up in the cloud again.