Am I the only one with weak battery life

chefboyardee

Reaction score
I wonder what people are doing that's killing battery life. I'm not implying you're doing something wrong, just actively curious what differs.

I'm a power user. I can't go more than a half hour without turning my phone on for *something*. I'm not underclocked, though I am rooted, and have frozen all the bloatware. I have a pedometer app installed (AccuPedo) which runs constantly, even with the screen off. I also use Pure Calendar widget with push notifications. Oh, and I'm running the stock weather widget too. Those are my only three widgets installed.

Even with those running constantly, I can take my phone off the charger when I wake up in the morning (~7am) and not plug it in the entire day at work, and still have 25%+ when I get home at 6pm. Pausing AccuPedo during the day significantly increases that percentage.

I did, however have the live wallpapers installed for the first few days (I was testing out Forest, which is cool). That killed my battery FAST. On a normal static wallpaper it seems I can go almost a whole day of regular (but not constant) use.

Today is my first day without the live wallpaper, I took the phone off the charger around 8am, it is now 3pm, and I'm at 80%. I've made a few phone calls, sent at least 30 texts, used the browser off and on for an hour while at lunch, and played Doodle Jump for over a half hour. Also I've been playing around with settings for at least a half hour (slow day at work).

Perhaps you guys live on the border of a 4g area? I read (but have not verified) that if the phone is constantly trying to ping 4g towers, it's going to drain you significantly faster than if you have no chance at 4g, or full 4g. Same if you're on the edge of 3g and don't get solid service.

Also, from what I've read (again, not verified personally) if you DO have 4g, downloading a lot of 4g data will significantly decrease battery life. When I'm at work or at home I turn on Wifi and turn off 4g, if that helps.

Sorry I don't have better answers but I wanted to share my personal experience at the very least.

diablo85

Reaction score
my battery life has improved a lot by uninstalling the 3cx mobile device manager (which i was just testing anyways, planning to install it again whenever i go on a long trip), however...i live in a 4g area and 90% of the time i'm either streaming music, or playing music from the phone except when i'm at home as the radio stations around here suck!. i took the phone off the charger around 8am this morning and am at 60% battery at the time of this writing with about an hour or so combined time of playing music from my sd card and browsing the web or using tapatalk while in class (i get terribly bored in class so i do this a LOT)

K.ZIMM

Reaction score
I had a full screen corporate exchange email and task widget on two home screens that were causing my Android OS battery use to be higher than usual. I've since removed the widgets and I've noticed a difference in my battery life. I don't know if it polled the exchange server more frequently, or why they would cause higher battery usage.

Leapin'Leemers

Reaction score
Update:
I've been able to improve my battery life immensely by downloading "4g toggle". I first considered the 4g as being the culprit when the towers were down yesterday and my battery was at 40% after 8 hours of normal use. At that rate, it would've gotten at least 12 or 13 hours total. Switch your data to CDMA only when you're not doing anything and it'll save on power by avoiding the constant pinging of 4G towers.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
My battery life is amazing. I don't even use Smart Actions. All I did was freeze the bloatware using Titanium Backup.

yBWYs.png

Samus

Reaction score
I've got the same problem. Here are screenshots. This is coming from a fully charged battery. Something is wrong.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
View attachment 47863

I wanted to get more life out of my battery. I rooted the phone, froze the bloatware. Then I went into task manager and killed anything that was running that I did not want to. Then I let juice defender do the rest at the balanced setting. It was a very light day
But did make calls, text family, read the epaper and check out df. I leave my phone set to LTE even though I have spotty coverage at home.

I am still showing 100% after 15.5 hours.

There is a collection of videos on YouTube that are Bionice specific but have enough general info to help snyone get better battery life. Search for "[Temping Guides] doid bionic battery life part 1" to get started. There are 6 parts each lasting 5-7 minutes.
Definitely helped me!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

erdiede

Reaction score
I am totally on board with swapping this b***h out!!! The battery life is infuriating & disappointing. I've rooted, blocked bloatware, and made use of the power save features all to no avail. Even being in class all day (and NOT texting throughout) and only making a few phonecalls or listening to music during my commute, I'd say I'm getting less than 8hrs of actual USE. Unacceptable. Motorola better pull an improvement outta their ass or I'm jumping ship. I've been a Droid loyalist since March 2010. This was a betrayal on their front. And the camera performance SUCKS!!!

By power save features do you mean the Smart Actions? I have found that the "extend battery life" Smart Action drains my phone's battery faster than anything. I have one set up for work that I may have to modify a bit because it seems like it is also a bit of a battery waster.

sangelopez

Reaction score
I can only get like 7 hours on one charge but thats only when i bearly even use it.
I get almost 4 hours in one charge if i watch a couple youtube videos some text messaging so i am too get terrible battery life or thats house i see it. Droid 4

moccor

Reaction score
View attachment 47863

I wanted to get more life out of my battery. I rooted the phone, froze the bloatware. Then I went into task manager and killed anything that was running that I did not want to. Then I let juice defender do the rest at the balanced setting. It was a very light day
But did make calls, text family, read the epaper and check out df. I leave my phone set to LTE even though I have spotty coverage at home.

I am still showing 100% after 15.5 hours.

There is a collection of videos on YouTube that are Bionice specific but have enough general info to help snyone get better battery life. Search for "[Temping Guides] doid bionic battery life part 1" to get started. There are 6 parts each lasting 5-7 minutes.
Definitely helped me!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

You obviously had juice defender disabling all connections and didn't use your phone at all for 15 hours in a dark drawer or you edited the screenshot/faked the OS some how into thinking it's been running that long on battery (I've had this happen before). Either way, neither helps battery life.