Aereo has been suspended

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Aereo-info-graphic__140414141536.jpg

Aereo was a company that brought local channels to homes via internet. This was another way for customers to try to cut the cord and tell the cable companies we are tired of their act. Unfortunately the Supreme Court ruled in favor of money....I mean the cable companies and Aereo will be suspended immediately as they are in violation of copyright laws unless they pay the broadcasting license fee for offering services to customers. To be honest I am not surprised as the set up do lend to the fact that they are operating like a giant torrent service. I just hope we can get a company that can come along and really challenge the cable companies and give us what we want which is the ability to decide what we want to watch without being forced to buy packages raising out bill in the process. To get NFL network I have to buy a sport package filled with channels I do not care for that does not include ESPN. To get ESPN I have to then buy a disney package full of more channels I do not care for all the while my bill just went up $20-$30. And when I ask about my bill the response is because I have so many channels :angry: . Cable companies have a monopoly going on and it is going to take a company to give the people what they want and the fearlessness to take on the big cable companies. Unfortunately Disney, Paramount, and the other major studios are making it so that you have to buy into a package in order to get the channels you want as the money supplement those other channels. But all is not lost there is still a way to cut the cord How to get broadcast TV for free, even without Aereo - The Washington Post.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/25/media/aereo-supreme-court-ruling/

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a bill that gets put before congress annually and gets shot down annually that is a pay per channel bill designed to allow customers to choose what they want and only what they want but lobbyists for channels that suck have lobbyists in the pockets of congressmen. It has been presented 14 years in a row. If enough people would write to their congressman and let them know they're paying attention and they vote, the bill might actually make it to the presidents desk. The dish and cable conglomerates want it because it's more profitable for them but the channels that have about 3 viewers per week get a stipend from the dish and cable providers that they'd rather not take a chance on losing. This would also end the losing of channels while the owners and providers argue over the stipend increase every year when the providers refuse to capitulate until the public demands their channel back then complains about the rate increase and all the useless channels in their required package.
Write your congressman and tell them you want freedom of choice and to see your tv bill go down when capitalism gets put into play. Those useless channels need to either provide what the public wants or go off the air, not be rewarded by congress through regulation.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You know what, my mother has cable, and she subscribes to Encore TV on Demand and Showtime Anytime. So now I get Encore TV and Showtime Anytime on my devices, and I can pay her for the use of these services. If she got HBO, I would pay her for HBO Go. These on demand technologies have made me get a little bit more creative with how I spend my money.

I did have Aereo for a time, and I liked it, but about 3 months ago I switched to Hulu Plus just to test it out. I liked Aereo better.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
HBO is well aware that consumers have "shared" their credentials.....and is on the record for not pursing cutting down that tree yet

These companies aren't dumb. AT&T allows me to let I believe 5-8 accounts under my name stream at the same time. So, I don't care to make a few email addresses for friends. Go ahead and do what you gotta do!

A friend threw me an Xfinity login that his daddy threw him. His daddy literally got all the channels.

I've been saying for awhile....I don't think these cable companies really "care" much about how folks view cable nowadays. They really care about if we're seeing the advertising.

Just like how HBO doesn't care if I have my friend's HBO GO info....because there's still folks who ain't never seen The Wire who are buying the blu ray to catch up! And there's still people who will pay Amazon now to watch old HBO items, which HBO profits off of. Too many great revenue streams still open...

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have been using a service called Maige TV for 2 years. Maige is an iptv service out of China. They have a huge lineup that includes numerous sports channels, HBO etc.
You are required to buy their box which costs $319. which includes a 1 year subscription. The yearly subscription rate is $85. Maige claims they are owned by a major entertainment company and have valid licences to provide their service. Most of their content is HD.

They have a ton of content in English and over 2500 on demand choices. The downside is, all the programing has Chinese subtitles that can't be turned off.

Prior to Maige, I subscribed to a Satellite provider that provided a ton of content as well. It was very expensive and their US content was not current. I recall Letterman shows that were 2-3 months old. HBO, Cinemax showed some new content but most was at least a year old.

I am not recommending this service. Just an FYI for those looking for an alternative.

I understand they will be releasing a new box later this year that will have 3D and 4K upscaling.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been using a service called Maige TV for 2 years. Maige is an iptv service out of China. They have a huge lineup that includes numerous sports channels, HBO etc.
You are required to buy their box which costs $319. which includes a 1 year subscription. The yearly subscription rate is $85. Maige claims they are owned by a major entertainment company and have valid licences to provide their service. Most of their content is HD.

They have a ton of content in English and over 2500 on demand choices. The downside is, all the programing has Chinese subtitles that can't be turned off.

Prior to Maige, I subscribed to a Satellite provider that provided a ton of content as well. It was very expensive and their US content was not current. I recall Letterman shows that were 2-3 months old. HBO, Cinemax showed some new content but most was at least a year old.

I am not recommending this service. Just an FYI for those looking for an alternative.

I understand they will be releasing a new box later this year that will have 3D and 4K upscaling.

So you are not recommending Maige TV ?

Give it time we will have an alternative.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
So you are not recommending Maige TV ?

Give it time we will have an alternative.

I am not recommending any service, just an FYI.

emanny

Reaction score
this is it we need to obey what the law said,, used any available provider in your area so that still enjoy the services.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is why I cut the cable "Verizon Fios, TWC before that" cord, and could not be happier "and save a nice chunk of change in the process", since there was only a handful of channels I used to watch it did not make sense to burn any more of my money, so I got an HD antenna and get all my local channels in crystal clear HD for free, including a few movie channels that show some nice classic movies, I also subscribed to Netflix for $8 a month and stream it using my $30 broadband subscription plan. People need to realize and think clearly on what they spend their money on, the only way these big corporations will listen is when you cut them off. Plus who needs all this TV anyway when you have the WWW, and all the fantastic outdoors, heck I remember when I was a kid, we only had 7 channels and had to get up to change them "no remote", plus we spend more time outdoors and with other people.

Last edited: