FCC Proposes Huge Change That Could Allow Amazon, Apple & Google to Replace Your Cable Company

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is going to take many years for fiber to be considered relevant. I'm all for more choices. Right now I get raked over the coals for a handful of TV channels that are worth something bundled in a package that is filled with terrible programming.

The sooner the FCC locks horns with the cable companies the sooner they might concede to at least offering their most popular channels via the Web.

Even HBO's CEO said they know that friends and family share login details with each other for free streaming. He was actually cool with it as he thought it would convince the non-payers to sign up.
That's why Netflix created the different profiles, a ridiculously awesome idea. if more channels were a'la cart it would make life much easier. I have my dish package at such a high level for 6 channels I can't get in the lower package. I watch and record shows on these channels and there's no way to get them aside from being the whole package, a ruling like this could force the cable companies to compete more.

as it stands the big 3 stay off of each other's turf and it creates local monopolies where all you can get us comcast or dish or twc

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Google is being smart with the roll out of Google fiber because they are waiting to get 50% an area on board a contract before they even break ground. This is giving them the advantage of consistent service where as Verizon just started installing Fios for whoever signed a contract more or less, which is costing then a lot of money right now due to inefficiencies in their system.

People won't truly cut the cord until live sports like football are available to stream on a non-Verizon, Comcast, etc. network.

If this happens the cable companies will just shrink data packages, just as they are doing with mobile data, and recoup their losses.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They don't have to like it for it to work.

If this goes through, Google Fiber just became the biggest thorn in the side of every major internet provider and cable company out there. Imagine if Google could bundle streaming television with gigabit internet speeds? Why would you ever sign up for Time Warner Cable or Comcast or AT&T or DirecTV? This is really good for consumers, as it'll lead to a true bidding war for consumers as the technology evolves and becomes more robust.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414627172860.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414627172860.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 142

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I might actually subscribe to tv channels again if this goes through. Haven't had cable in our household in almost 5 years as it was a waste of bandwidth and money.
Cable companies need to evolve or become extinct. The price of gigabit service in Europe is $10 a month. Google will put them all out of business soon enough.

Crf450r420

Reaction score
No, not soon enough. I've been wanting it for years and it will be waiting to many more.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google's roll out may take time, but it will happen, and consumers will speak with their wallets. I pay basically 80 a month for high speed Internet with cable TV thrown in as an aside. Once the deal I'm on is over, I'll drop down to 25Mbps for 50 a month and possibly drop the TV side altogether. What I'm paying for this makes zero sense, and I'm ready to jump as soon as an alternative comes along.

As to how long both that and pay for what you like broadcasting will take, that is a point of note, but how many people would have thought YouTube would replace MTV for music videos 10 years ago? How many would have thought that Direct TV and Dish could make headway against cable 20 years ago? Dinosaurs will die, and companies that see what's coming and adapt to be a part of it will survive. I would love to be able to get the major networks, cinemax, hbo, amc, one or two others and call it a day.

jack393

Reaction score
Very happy to hear about this. Should be a righteous conflict.