ADW Launcher question....

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by BackSeatSuicide, May 26, 2011.

1. BackSeatSuicide

BackSeatSuicide New Member

I am using the Free version of ADW launcher, and I was wondering, is there a way, like there is in LauncherPRO, to set the number of home screens you have. Stock it just has 5, but in LauncherPRO you can set it from 1 to 7, and I've grown accustom to having 7 screens to work with, since I've been using the GB Leak (which i plan on going back to eventually, i just wanted to try out some other froyo roms that I hadn't had the chance to before i flashed the GB leak), to having 7 Home Screens, but I dont really like LauncherPRO, i mean its a nice app, but ADW is better imo.
  2. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

From home screen, menu, edit.

Hit the plus sign where you want to insert the extra screen. :)
  3. BackSeatSuicide

right on, thanks bro, i can't believe i never noticed that, i always noticed that Edit button, but never clicked on it lol definitely a stoner moment haha
  4. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

No prob. ADW rules!
  5. BackSeatSuicide

+1 indeed it does. I was wondering tho. What are the differences/benefits between ADW and ADW EX? What features and what not, does the paid EX version add?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Well, from what I remember off the top of my head, it has extra screen transitions, app drawers, and theming. I have a friend who loves it, but it sounds like extra bloat to me. One of the few features I've been missing is looped scrolling on the homescreen and perhaps app drawer. Follow bugs and star features and fixes on that site to promote them.

It looks like the new ADW v2 should have looped scrolling, but it's not implemented very well in the leaked pre-alpha. BTW, don't expect that version to do much of anything. It is by no means complete, just a proof of concept type thing.. I think.
  7. BackSeatSuicide

Didn't adw have the 3D cube app drawer style as well or was that LauncherPRO cause I really liked that. It comes stock on AOSP Gingerbread like on the Nexus S. And. Had it on my DX at one point awhile back but I can't remember how I got it

8. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

No, I used the 3d app drawer for a while too, but it has been removed, I believe to be added to the ex version. There is now just the plain vertical scrolling and the Galaxy S-style (paginated) horizontal scrolling, which I use.
  9. BackSeatSuicide

Yea, I use the Galaxy S style scrolling as well which is recent. But I like the 3D cube better. I can't wait for some more pure AOSP GB roms to come out. I really want a nexus s style rom but with all the features from a custom rom

10. bullswife98

bullswife98 New Member

ADW ex has 4d scrolling and an option for the old 3d style scrolling to. I have the paid version and I use the 4d scroll feature. It's pretty cool.

Rooted : Rz Recovery
    Rom : Simply Stunning v5.3
    Kernal : Rz Kernal 250/1100oc
    Theme:SimplyStunning, ADWTHEME/CRYSTAL
  11. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

How is 4D different from 3D scrolling? The 3D scrolling was where the apps seemed to scroll on a conveyor belt, rounding the pulleys at the top and bottom. 4D would be... 3D scrolling in time? :D Sounds like a marketing gimmick to differentiate the feature from its previous use in the free version.
  12. xush

xush New Member

looped scrolling on the home screens is working fine on my X running ADW ex. I had a lot of force closes and crashes when I first upgraded to the new version of EX, but it's running fine now
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  13. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Okay, I wondered if he'd release it on the ex version first. When the scrolling loops around, does the wallpaper scroll just as smoothly? In that pre-release version, the widgets would scroll as you swiped, but the wallpaper sort of stuck on the far ends. There's a youtube video on that xda link that shows what I mean.

I may have to try ex out after all. I just don't need all of the superfluous stuff. I disable most animations, etc. as it is. Just after using Home++ for a while, I grew accustomed to the looped scrolling and want it back.
  14. cece5702

cece5702 Member

Whats so special about ADW launcher? I am using Go EX Launcher. I havent tried any others. Are there any features that really stand out for you?
  15. xush

xush New Member

The looping seems smooth to me, maybe a millisecond or 2 slower, but I hadn't noticed til you mentioned it.

I will say I've always debated whether its really worth going to the paid version or not; to me it's mostly superfluous features. I liked the free one so much I was happy to donate and upgrade, but I didn't feel like there were that many advantages to the ex version when I finally got it. Most of the really useful stuff is in the free version.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  16. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Sorry my jack*ssery was not intended for you. Srs question, is the 4D scrolling just rebranded 3D scrolling like the old HelixLauncher2 or is there some difference?

[​IMG]
  17. xush

xush New Member

I didn't use the 3d animation, but from what you're showing & describing, it seems to be the same thing
  18. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

I haven't tried Go launcher so I can't really compare, but the features I like the most are difficult to describe really, just the options you have in configuring it. Swiping the screen to display notifications, apps, or a hidden launcher dock, for instance. The configurable hidden dock is similar to the sliding dockbar in Home++, but it is only for shortcuts. The shortcuts are configurable, including using custom icons. The standard dock is also configurable, similar to Launcher Pro. You can move the app drawer button around or remove it even and re-add it later, the same as any custom shortcut.

Most, if not all, widgets are supported, so there's no worry your favorite widgets won't work. There are also tons of themes available (rarely free I think), though I don't use any of them.

There are really so many features and configurable options, it is easy to make things work the way you like them. You can also backup and restore settings once you get it how you like it. :)
  19. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

I make tons of wallpapers and swap them out a lot. One of my friends prefers to not show any apps, etc. on his primary homescreen, including dock bars (hard to argue against, since he uses my walls). You can do that with ADW. Swipe down to show notifications, swipe up to show hidden dockbar (you can put the app drawer shortcut on the hidden bar; custom shortcut > pick activity as ADW launcher action > open/close app drawer; drag to dockbar). Cool
  20. xush

xush New Member

yeah, it lets you run a really clean-looking setup, I like that too. I've been using it so long I don't remember what the phone can do stock and what I needed ADW to accomplish. I think the ability to resize widgets came w/ ADW? Much more flexibility with the dock, as mentioned previously. Overall, I feel like it made my phone faster and more stable. At the very least, you can customize and edit much easier.
Search tags for this page
adw 4d

adw launcher number of homescreens

adw launcher number of screens

adw launcher one home screen

adw launcher screens number

adw launcher set number of homescreens

adw launcher vertical scroll

adw number of home screens

adw number of homescreens

how to add screens in adw launcher
how to change the number of homescreens on adw