Your favorite Launcher?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Redjak, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Redjak

Redjak New Member

I've seen many threads here about this, but I want mine to be different. Please don't just post a name, like "LauncherPro," because that doesn't give you any information. And please don't go "LauncherPro, cuz it's awesome" because that's also not what I'm looking for xD. I want a little summary, and Pros and Cons, because although I'm happy with the launcher I use, I always like to try new things, being a geek :p

I have used LauncherPro(but not for very long), ADW.Launcher, just got ADW Launcher EX but haven't tried it yet, Zeam, OpenHome, PandaHome, and Crazy Home, and am currently using GoLauncher EX. So far Go has been my favorite, and I've been using it the longest amount of time. I haven't had a freeze-up, I love the customization, I very much like the stock-replacement apps like GO SMS, Go Contacts, etc. The themes are a perk, except for how you have to search them in the market. I love the screen-preview feature, except when you're trying to move apps from screen/appdrawer to screen. I was never fond of LauncherPro, it just seems so overrated. I had freezeups, lag, etc on my DroidX hardly running any widgets or anything. ADW was nice, and I very much like all the themes it has, but something didn't quite click with me. Crazy Home seems like it could be good, but it too is just missing something. PandaHome was AWFUL...so many force-closes and freeze-ups, I'll never use it again. I used Zeam for a long time when I first got my phone, and I was happy with it, but compared to other launchers, it's really bare.

Hope I get some good responses! :) I'm actually following the SlickUI development, because it looks like I may even switch from Go for that! I'm looking to possibly try Helix and tatHome looks really cool. Anyone using/used tatHome that could recommend it?

Thanks for reading :)
  2. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro rulz!

No seriously, I tried ADW but it was laggy and not as smooth, although it had more customization.

Launcher Pro was the right blend of speed, smoothness and polish. It made the desktop less bland, easier to navigate because I set it up the way I like to work, and so far it has been very stable.

You have nice eye-candy, but not so much that it clutters things up and bogs the phone down.

I will give Go a look and see how it is coming along. Last time I looked at it was several months ago and it was a little rough around the edges.
  3. Redjak

Redjak New Member

Now that's the kind of response I want to see :)

I gave LauncherPro a try, as I said, and for some reason just wasn't very impressed. I just love Go Launcher. It does everything right, except for moving apps and such, as I said. I may decide to give LauncherPro another try...it's been a while, and to be honest I didn't give it a completely fair try.
  4. ldopa

ldopa New Member

Launcher pro is what I use. Its very customizable and works very well with my phone. Now on my brothers phone its laggy so he uses adw. I look for speed and customization and on my d2 lp is where it's at. Adw does have a lot of themes too. I guess I'm just used to lp

Sent from my rooted DROID2
  5. afripino

afripino New Member

SPB Shell 3D. It's just more professionally made and much more stable. very smooth and consistent. only problem is the lowered customization ability vs. the other launchers. Other than that, it's great!
  6. ChuckG73

ChuckG73 New Member

This is an easy one....Motorla's Stock Gingerbread.
  7. SquireSCA

I decided to give Go another try, and I switched from Launcher Pro EX to Go.

Cleaner, looks just as nice, simpler and seems more responsive.
  8. nerdslogic

nerdslogic New Member

Tough one. I would be stuck trying to decide between SPB 3D Shell and Launcher Pro. I have both and switch quite often back and forth.
  9. milski65

milski65 Member

Personally I prefer Go. Similar to Launcher with scrolling dock and continuous screen scroll (Adw doesn't, which is only beef with that launcher). GO just seems to flow better. Great launcher. I'd be in to spb but just don't see 15 for minimum customization.
    Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. modisch

modisch New Member

Thanks to this thread, I decided to try out Launcher Pro and I love it

Features in particular that I like:

* homescreens rotate
    * dock is totally configurable
    * runs really snappy
    * customizable transitions (e.g. I have the transition to the app drawer set to go quickly, but with a hint of style)

There's a million things to like about it and I'm only using the free version at this point.

-m

{ DroidX «» Liberty 2.0.1 «» TapaTalk }
  11. northwestyew

northwestyew New Member

i use sweeterhome personally i think the abilty to customize and speed is top notch on it

and by customizing i mean every little thing
  12. Kasey Krehbiel

Kasey Krehbiel New Member

ADW EX has continuous screen scroll.

I'm an ADW EX fan myself. But I can honestly say I haven't given any of the others much time.
  13. simpdogg

simpdogg New Member

SPB 3D hands down for me.

SimpDogg
  14. PARick

PARick New Member

This. Love SPB.
  15. pilch86

pilch86 New Member

+1 for SPB. Also use Launcher Pro occasionally, switching back and forth, but SPB will impress your friends

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  16. SquireSCA

I just checked SPB out and it impressed me enough to pay the $15 for it.

Simple, but looks really nice, has some decent widgets and features, shortcuts. Has most of the basics covered, even if it does not have nearly as much customization as ADW, LP and Go Launcher. However, you can tweak those other ones to the moon and still won't get them to look as nice as SPB.

One question, I see that when you create folders on a home page, it names it for you depending on what you drop into the folder. How do you rename it though? I have a folder full of Sound Boards, and yet it wants to name it Games and I have not figured out how to change it to what I want it to say.

Am I missing something?
  17. countrygirl23

countrygirl23 New Member

I have Go Launcher EX, ADW EX and Crazy Home Pro. I like the Go Launcher EX and Crazy Home the best. Crazy Home supports majority of the themes that are used on ADW, etc but not Go Launcher. I like Go Launcher because I like some of the features on the home page when scrolling. I switch if I want a change but for the last few weeks I have been using Crazy Home.
  18. Garandhero

Garandhero New Member

Hate to say it but you picked the wrong launcher. Go Launcher Ex is vastly superior in every way, especially if you can drop 2-4 dollar on custom theme and golauncher sms. LauncherPro hasn't been updated in so damn long, lacks tons of features GoLauncher has, (including simple things like a good amount of custom icons), GOLauncher has better calendar widget, better contacts widget, much cleaner and crisper overall look, app drawer customization options (Sideways scroll,recent apps, running apps) and drains significantly less resources since the guy never did his "big re-write...." w/ launcherpro.

GoLauncher Ex might take a few more minutes to setup since each module is a separate DL but my goodness is it worth it, not to mention every feature you mentioned in LauncherPro - GO Launcher has, and the Go Dev team is still updating VERY REGULARLY where-as I haven't seen a significant LauncherPro update in months.

I recommend
    Go Launcher Ex
    Go SMS Pro
    Go Launcher Ex Notifications
    w/ Future Theme Go Launcher / GO SMS Future Theme.

Absolutely stunning.
  19. Grunnsetning

Grunnsetning New Member

Is there a free version of spb to try out?
    I find it hard to purchase a 15$ app just off of screenshots.
  20. Wuffpack99

Wuffpack99 New Member

I'm not a fan of Go Launcher for one simple reason - the way it makes folders in the drawer sucks. It's a pop-down that you have to scroll horizontally, which is very counterintuitive if you like your drawer to scroll vertically.

LauncherPro has no good folder/category management in the drawer.

ADW EX has the ability to group by categories, but you can't ever get rid of the "ALL" category, which is weird to exclude that feature when it's available in the version that comes in CM7.

Trying VTL launcher next to see if that does the trick.
Search tags for this page

go launcher sucks

new go launcher ex sucks
spb mobile shell vs go launcher