Advice please

Fonzz

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been with Verizon about 15 years, my new Moto Droid is my first smartphone. Thank God I'm fairly good with computers etc. lol.
My girlfriend is on AT&T and her contract expires today. I want to add her to my plan and get her a new Verizon phone. She does not need a smartphone (one is enough) and we don't want to pay additional data charges. I'm looking for recommendations as to what may be a good phone for her. She'd like one that makes texting easier (keyboard) and has a camera.
I noticed on Verizon's website there are non-smartphones that cost more than some actual smartphones, I guess that's because they're not going to be getting data fees for that phone so no big discounts...:icon_evil: We'd like to get a "free" phone with the new contract or one that's nearly free if it's much better than all the other "free" ones.

BTW, her old phone is the LG shine, she likes the small size, but does not like texting the old way...

TIA for any suggestions as to which phone may be desirable in this situation and any other advice for the transition.

Fonzz

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been with Verizon about 15 years, my new Moto Droid is my first smartphone. Thank God I'm fairly good with computers etc. lol.
My girlfriend is on AT&T and her contract expires today. I want to add her to my plan and get her a new Verizon phone. She does not need a smartphone (one is enough) and we don't want to pay additional data charges. I'm looking for recommendations as to what may be a good phone for her. She'd like one that makes texting easier (keyboard) and has a camera.
I noticed on Verizon's website there are non-smartphones that cost more than some actual smartphones, I guess that's because they're not going to be getting data fees for that phone so no big discounts...:icon_evil: We'd like to get a "free" phone with the new contract or one that's nearly free if it's much better than all the other "free" ones.

BTW, her old phone is the LG shine, she likes the small size, but does not like texting the old way...

TIA for any suggestions as to which phone may be desirable in this situation and any other advice for the transition.

Fonzz

Since we are all Droid owners I don't know if someone really has an answer for you here, but certainly dialing *611 and asking Verizon couldn't hurt. Then maybe you could come back and tell us what they have available for you and if somebody had that phone they could advice you?

Welcome to the forum by the way. Someone else may have a better answer for you.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind VZW has changed things a little. Most of the full keyboard phones are considered 'multimedia phones' which no require a 9.99/mo data plan... and smart phones have the well known 29.99/mo unl. data plan

Only basic 'dumb' phones can be activated now without any data package.

Rizz

Reaction score
any of the LG phones would work for that.. My wife is the same way nothing fancy just talk and text

Mamaperk

Reaction score
My daughter had a Samsung alias and liked it a lot for the texting keyboard. My other daughter has an EnV 3 but they may both be considered mm phones ...
you may want to try Best Buy or going into the VZW store and checking out what's available.

pyro6128

Reaction score
get her an enV touch. It was what I had before my droid. Has a keyboard, good camera, touch screen, and plays music well. There were a couple of times where I went to parties where the music sucked or was non existent. I hooked up my phone to the speakers, bang, instant party. All around great phone, plus by now I think its probably pretty cheap.

Edit: just checked out verizons website and saw that the enV touch needs a 9.99 data plan now. Thats actually a bit offensive. At no point while using that phone did I do anything that would require a data plan. Def not necessary

Last edited:
OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
Thank You for the replies,
We are going to look at phones now, the enV & the Samsung Rogue look nice. Finally checked the other phones on the website, the data plan ones. Guess it has to be at least the 9.99 data charge to get anything decent these days and it's still going to cost about 50 to 80 dollars for these decent type ones with a contract.

Might not buy today, but I'll let ya know what we end up getting!

WebmastuhB

Reaction score
You can do what I did for my wife - buy a phone off ebay. I picked up a vx6800 for her for like $50 or something. She loves it. It works fine for her, she can text message, get on facebook, check her email, etc.

I had a vx6800 two phones ago, and I loved it. Sadly, it broke...

The beauty with buying a used phone is she is out of contract. Contracts suck.

I was out of contract, but I sold my soul for a droid. I've still got some time to send it back, but I don't think I am going to.

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
We ended up getting the Samsung Rogue, that's the one she liked once she had a chance to try them out. I think it will be okay for her.

My girlfriend is on AT&T and her contract expires today.

I messed up when I wrote that sentence. I was thinking we could get out of her contract two freakin' days early no problem...wrong! AT&T is just unbelievable!
Couldn't we just get the number now but continue to bill her for the two last days??
So we just got the new phone anyways with a "temporary" number for two days and we'll have her old number switched in two days.
After I thought about it for a bit, remembering how frustrated I was the first few days learning my Droid, I told her it would be great to have both phones working at first. She's still using her old phone for now and in her free time learning the new one. It's actually less stressful this way!
Finally we can talk anytime without using paid minutes. :icon_ banana:
BTW, this forum has been great for learning more about my Droid...

Fonzz :)