Advanced Calling On Verizon Doesn't Work If Rooted

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus2cee_hd_thumb.jpg

For all the reasons you should root your device here is one great reason not to root your device. Not too long ago Verizon rolled out Advanced calling. This allows you to enjoy High Def Voice and Video Calls. With this you can also surf while you are talking on the phone. If your phone is rooted you won't be able to enable Advanced calling. These are two things I can live without. It only works if both parties are using it. You could also burn through your data pretty quickly with this since video calls do use your data. Is this enough to keep you from rooting your phone?

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
My LG G3 on 24B (rooted) had functional Advanced Calling. I used it to call my dad lots of times when he wanted to show me something at his house, and I was somewhere else.

This might not be the case with other ROMs out there, but for me, it was functional.

jhoward18

Reaction score
My NEXUS 6 is rooted, I call my wife's G3 which is also rooted with HD calling. Kids even tether their tablets at the same time I'm talking to my wife. I'm still grandfathered unlimited data on both phones.

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I don't see myself using it anytime soon anyway. None of my friends or family are on VZW.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Oh well. I don't care about Advanced calling. I have one family member on Verizon. The rest don't use cell phones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was under the impression that using it wouldn't count against data? I'm assuming that only applies to voice calls then? Not that I really care. Nobody I know that has a device that's capable of it at this point cares to use it.

R

RETG

It's data for video...
Advanced Calling 1.0 is available at no additional charge, and HD Voice is included in existing plans.

• HD Voice calls are billed as standard voice calls according to your plan. No data charges apply.
  • Mobile-to-Mobile calls that happen to be HD Voice calls are charged just like traditional Mobile-to-Mobile calls and are billed against your monthly minute allowance according to your plan.
  • A video call is an HD Voice call combined with real-time video. The voice portion is billed as a standard voice call, according to your plan. The video portion is billed as data, according to your data plan. No data charges apply to video calls transmitted over Wi-Fi.

Note: An average 1-minute video call uses about 6 - 8 MB of data. The actual data consumption of your video call may vary.

JDH

Reaction score
I don't kept it turned on because it requires a strong 4glte signal and if you don't have one you will get dropped calls especially if you move between 4g and 3g signals. Not worth the hassle! In Frederick, MD we have areas of downtown that are 3g and 1x only, even the Verizon corp store is in a poor signal location. You would think they would have located there corp store in an area with a quality signal.

dtroup64

Reaction score
I've been using advanced calling on Verizon for a while. I call my wife's turbo... I talk and surf at the same time. I've been rooted since the day I bought the phone.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We weren't really impressed with it. Even though we live in a strong 4G area, my SO and I are the only ones that actually have a device that can utilize VoLTE, and since we rarely video chat there's no sense leaving it turned on all the time. Especially since Samsung devices haven't needed it to utilize talk & surfing for quite a few years now.
Plus it negatively impacts battery life, and for a heavy user like myself, its not worth keeping it on 24/7. For those rare occasions where we do want to video chat, I'll simply send her a text msg telling her to turn it on. That said, the video chat works great and for those times when we do use it, it's nice not having to rely on Skype, Hangouts or other third party option.

S5 tap'n