Verizon Kicks Off Their Advanced Calling 1.0 - VoLTE HD Voice & Video Calling

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-advanced-calling-1.png

Verizon's new Advanced Calling 1.0 service just activated network wide today. This service will provide VoLTE HD Voice and Video calling. While the new service is available across the country, only a limited number of devices are currently compatible with the technology.

Right now the only phones listed to work with it are the Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G2. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are expected to join that list shortly, and Verizon is working to add more. Technically, any device which supports VoLTE should be able to use the service, but certain settings and tweaks are required to get it going.

Check out Verizon's landing page for more info: Verizon

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm still shocked this is a free/automatic feature (skeptical it will remain so, at least for unlimited users).

But then I'm also wondering why it's only VZW-to-VZW. Why wouldn't I get HD audio (at least one way) when calling a landline?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Why am I still so unimpressed? VoIP has been around for years.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why am I still so unimpressed? VoIP has been around for years.

They're trying to entice more Verizon home customers away? That feature will not work on dsl. I had dsl for years and even Skype calls wouldn't always work right on it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It features video calling. Does it use data or your minute plan? If it's minutes, I would consider it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It features video calling. Does it use data or your minute plan? If it's minutes, I would consider it.

My understanding is video uses data, hd voice calls use both minutes and data allotment but with the norm being unlimited call minutes that part is a non factor.
I could easily be misunderstanding how it'll work on hd audio

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
From what my rep explained to me, the voice will not use the data. I can't recall exactly how he explained that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Right! The website states voice doesn't use data, but I'm still curious about video chat.

jplemt

Reaction score
Voice uses minutes only, video uses data, you must have LTE available to initiate video, even if you are connected to Wi-Fi, but once it's initiated it will "seamlessly" transfer to Wi-Fi if available, thus not using data.

jplemt

Reaction score
But it's also strange in that I have contacts in my new "video calling" group in my contacts that I know are not Verizon customers and some are even landlines. The system sorts your contacts into this new group for you, so I'm not sure how the determination was made.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's only working mobile to mobile, so you think VZW to VZW would be free.

Counting it as minutes saves people on capped plans, and sticks those of us on legacy unlimited plans (not that VoLTE is all that useful if it's only mobile-to-mobile).