Activating Droid on Verizon Network

StephanC

Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's my first time posting to these forums so please forgive me if I make any mistakes.

I was trying to get back to Android 2.0.1 by use of DMUpdater. I successfully got back to 2.0.1 with no root and the original recovery software. Once I got into the recovery system I performed factory reset so that I could clear the system of all data. When I started the phone again I was asked to re-activate it. I couldn't do it. I kept getting a message saying "We're sorry but we are unable to program your phone at this time. You may try again later or dial..." I was able to activate it with no trouble yesterday but it wouldn't allow me to do it today.

Later, I flashed SPRecovery over to it using RSDLite and went back to rooted 2.1 using a nandroid backup I made earlier. No surprise that when I booted up my phone I was asked to activate it. This time, I had no trouble and the activation went through the first time.

Has Verizon stopped allowing activation for 2.0.1 or did I just get lucky? Also, is there a limited number of times that I am allowed to manually activate my Droid?

If I can get an answer to this, it will eventually lead to me releasing a way to root 2.1 without having to flash over 2.0.1. I already have the process written out but I need to get into 2.0.1 so that I can retrieve some files that I need to get everyone over to 2.1 rooted.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's my first time posting to these forums so please forgive me if I make any mistakes.

I was trying to get back to Android 2.0.1 by use of DMUpdater. I successfully got back to 2.0.1 with no root and the original recovery software. Once I got into the recovery system I performed factory reset so that I could clear the system of all data. When I started the phone again I was asked to re-activate it. I couldn't do it. I kept getting a message saying "We're sorry but we are unable to program your phone at this time. You may try again later or dial..." I was able to activate it with no trouble yesterday but it wouldn't allow me to do it today.

Later, I flashed SPRecovery over to it using RSDLite and went back to rooted 2.1 using a nandroid backup I made earlier. No surprise that when I booted up my phone I was asked to activate it. This time, I had no trouble and the activation went through the first time.

Has Verizon stopped allowing activation for 2.0.1 or did I just get lucky? Also, is there a limited number of times that I am allowed to manually activate my Droid?

If I can get an answer to this, it will eventually lead to me releasing a way to root 2.1 without having to flash over 2.0.1. I already have the process written out but I need to get into 2.0.1 so that I can retrieve some files that I need to get everyone over to 2.1 rooted.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Well there is no rule that says you have to do a wipe after booting back down to 2.0.1. It should work just fine, did for me.

I would remove the root with dmupdater and then I'd manually install 2.1. Try that out and don't wipe unless you need to. You'll know if you need to.

I don't believe there is any limit to the number of times you can activate your phone, but I don't work for Verizon so I'm not sure.